A sensible upgrade path?

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I recently got back into hifi after a long absence (20 odd years) and set up a basic system in my living room:

Project Debut Carbon turntable with cork mat

Yaqin valve phono preamp (MS23B)

Used NAD 3220PE (£50 off ebay)

Dali Zensor 1 speakers

The plan is to gradually move this system to another lesser used room in the house and to upgrade these components for the living room - I am thinking of around £500 per component at this stage.

I am guessing the amp should be upgraded first as it is likely pretty old and might need servicing soon, but it sounds OK for now. I am looking at the Brio-R.

On the turntable front in the short term I could upgrade the stylus to the blue over the red Ortofon and change the platter to an acrylic. I am also thinking of getting a used Thorens deck. I used to own a TD160.

Speakers could be upgraded to Dali Zensor 3s or Ikons.

Does this sound a sensible path to follow? Alternative suggestions welcome. I also don't mind buying used if this will get me a better deal without too much risk but I realise this is not always easy. The only hifi store near where I live is Richer Sounds which might limit listening possibilities (they don't sell the Brio-R for example). I am also probably going to get a CD player.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CletePurcel said:
I recently got back into hifi after a long absence (20 odd years) and set up a basic system in my living room:

Project Debut Carbon turntable with cork mat

Yaqin valve phono preamp (MS23B)

Used NAD 3220PE (£50 off ebay)

Dali Zensor 1 speakers

The plan is to gradually move this system to another lesser used room in the house and to upgrade these components for the living room - I am thinking of around £500 per component at this stage.

I am guessing the amp should be upgraded first as it is likely pretty old and might need servicing soon, but it sounds OK for now. I am looking at the Brio-R.

On the turntable front in the short term I could upgrade the stylus to the blue over the red Ortofon and change the platter to an acrylic. I am also thinking of getting a used Thorens deck. I used to own a TD160.

Speakers could be upgraded to Dali Zensor 3s or Ikons.

Does this sound a sensible path to follow? Alternative suggestions welcome. I also don't mind buying used if this will get me a better deal without too much risk but I realise this is not always easy. The only hifi store near where I live is Richer Sounds which might limit listening possibilities (they don't sell the Brio-R for example). I am also probably going to get a CD player.

Hi Clete, must say I'm surprised that you have a Richers in New Iberia Parish, maybe you use the one in the french quarter instead?

In general terms, in the case of a vinyl based system, it is usually best to start with the front end. Spend as much as you can on a player and get it correctly placed and supported. Not only will that give you the biggest sound improvement for your money but it will look after your precious records too.

If you are going down the Rega route amplifier wise, try and get to a Rega dealer and check out the P6. Not my favourite player for the money but the P6/Brio-r setup is pretty solid for the price.

Try and get the dealer to play you an alternative to the Rega cartridges, not their best products in my view and pick up a Rega wall shelf at the same time, very worthwhile.

I would keep the Zensor 1s for the time being, great speakers, prefer them to the Zensor 3s myself.

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Actually I have found a Rega dealer nearby that has the RP6 for £649 without cartridge so I will go and have a listen. Would an Ortofon 2M Blue be doing a disservice to this deck?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CletePurcel said:
Thanks for the advice.

Actually I have found a Rega dealer nearby that has the RP6 for £649 without cartridge so I will go and have a listen. Would an Ortofon 2M Blue be doing a disservice to this deck?

The 2m Blue should be fine. Get the dealer to fit it and go through the setup with you. Much easier once you have seen it done properly.

Don't forget the wall shelf too!

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I bought the turntable discounted for £649 after listening to it at the shop with the Brio-R and a set of B and W speakers costing around £1000 (CM5s I think). They said they had never heard of Dali so I couldn't try it with those. I was pretty much set on the turntable in any case, so I was really interested in the Brio-R and speaker combination.

I asked for the speakers to be changed - I wasn't getting a good vibe from them - so they put on some Rega RS1s which sounded much better to me but still not really convinced.

The turntable is obviously a huge step up in class to the Project Debut Carbon, but I am not at all convinced about the Brio-R amplifier.

Anyway when I got home I hooked the RP6 up to my ancient NAD amp with the Yaqin tube phono preamp into the Zensor 1s and WOW. It sounds fantastic. Nice bass, great separation and better high frequencies. Better than what I heard in the store and better than the Project Carbon by a mile.

I am now dubious about the Brio, but maybe it was just running through the wrong speakers. I may return and try some different ones. Or is it simply that the NAD3020 design was really that good (or is it the preamp tubes making the difference)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like it then it is the better amplifier for you, simples. Technically, the Brio will be an improvement but if you don't like it then it means nought.

Why not get used to your new TT for a little while and just enjoy?

There probably are a trillion possibilities to build a system around your Rega but looking at what you have now and your reaction to the Brio you seem to like a warmer sound.

I probably would try and audition some components which are known to go in that direction rather than polar opposites.

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
If you like it then it is the better amplifier for you, simples. Technically, the Brio will be an improvement but if you don't like it then it means nought.

Why not get used to your new TT for a little while and just enjoy?

There probably are a trillion possibilities to build a system around your Rega but looking at what you have now and your reaction to the Brio you seem to like a warmer sound.

I probably would try and audition some components which are known to go in that direction rather than polar opposites.

Thanks. I am going to enjoy it for a while. I also tried the nad without the tube preamp and realised that the preamp is making a significant difference to the sound which I like.

I still have my initial problem though. That I am moving the old system to another room so I still need to replace the amp and speakers at some point. Now I am tempted to just get another old nad, but this has obvious reliability issues in the long term.

I think I just expected the Brio to sound better than it did.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Shearne-Phase-2-amplifier-/252035717839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aae7fdacf

Shearne used to make wonderful solid state amplifiers. Apart from looking classy they sound valve like (I had one) but with more power.

They do, from time to time pop up s/h and I have I feeling you might like those very much and it would certainly look amazing with the Rega.

There is currently a phase two on the bay although it is in Lithuania. The Pre-Power/s are even better but cost naturally more.

(I tried to post the link here but this godforsaken forum format will only paste on the beginning of the post!)

Just an idea. Good luck

rainsoothe

It seem like you're a tube fan - therefore, you should look into Croft Phono Integrated - it's preamp stage is tubed, and it has a very very good phono stage. You could add a pair of Focal Aria 906 or KEF LS50 later, when budget allows, but I think this amp would be exactly what you're looking for. I think you can get it on 7 day return option from some amazon or ebay shop if i remember right.

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for those recommendations.

The Croft is a bit out of my price range. And I am not sure about getting an amp from Lithuania at the moment, but I will keep my eyes open for a UK one.

I can get a good deal on a Cyrus 6a. Are these any good for me? I have read that the later Cyrus range are not as warm sounding as the older ones.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

That is so yummy. Kicking it oldskool.

4213336721_edb214dc1c_z.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CletePurcel said:
Thanks for those recommendations.

The Croft is a bit out of my price range. And I am not sure about getting an amp from Lithuania at the moment, but I will keep my eyes open for a UK one.

I can get a good deal on a Cyrus 6a. Are these any good for me? I have read that the later Cyrus range are not as warm sounding as the older ones.

I am a cyrus user and whilst they are imo far from sterile and hifi as sometimes suggested (I say this as a former valve amplifier and Shearne user) I don't think it would instantly appeal to you.

Having said that, it is remarkable how quick one can accustom to a new sound and there are certain things a Rega (or cyrus ... or similar) can do an old NAD doesn't.

If you do follow the cyrus route though I'd advise to go 8series for the additional power and upgradeability (PSX-R).

I do however think the Shearne would be right down your road if you have the patience to track one down.

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Are Shearne similar to the older Sugdens? I used to have a Sugden A25 mosfet and it was the business.

I almost bought one a few days ago (£185 buy it now) and while I was thinking about it it got snapped up.

CletePurcel

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up a John Shearne phase 2. It is the improved reference version. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for all the advice. Now its on to the speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CletePurcel said:
I just picked up a John Shearne phase 2. It is the improved reference version. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for all the advice. Now its on to the speakers.

Gratulations. Let us know how you get on.

I've used my Shearne at the time with a pair of sealed (IB) Ruark Sabre's to very good effect (with a Trichord/Pioneer spinning platter CD player as main source).

A friend/musician and until recently Hifi Shop Manager used his Shearne Pre-Power with a set of Rogers LS3/A. The shop was fairly high end and he had a lot to choose from/compare to which tells something about the combination.

I am not suggesting you go all vintage (though the LS3/5A is still available new in different guises and there is also a build kit for around £600) but food for thought perhaps. Both the above sounded amazing.

Another speaker I think would perhaps match your lovely system is a pair of sealed ATC's. I can't guarantee that as I have never heard such a combination but the IB ATC's will probably balance the big and ballsy sound of the Shearne and you'd get another renowned artisan product to complement the rest of your then all british built system.

Should the ATC's be beyond budget I'd warmly suggest a pair of Usher S520. Beautifully made and sounding stand mounts. They are available in a range of colours including gloss black or red. Fantastic speakers, I still use a pair. They should match well with the power (and looks) of your Shearne and Rega.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts