A pointless review?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:
I think half this forum is from Venus and the other half from Mars! :wall:

Hardly any women on here!

More's the pity.

I don't see how this forum doesn't get any women members? :? On AV Forums there are quite a few on there, I am friends with one too.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:

More's the pity.

I don't see how this forum doesn't get any women members? :? On AV Forums there are quite a few on there, I am friends with one too.

Too many cable debates and too many people complaining about expensive CD players.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I've just read the review of the Burmester 069 CD player at a modest £35,840. Now I think the number of WHiFi readers that could afford to buy this can be numbered on the fingers of one foot. So what is the point of the review?

I think it is the same as you see on Top Gear when they review supercars that nobody can afford. It's about dreams and fantasies. I guess it's harmless. little boys playing with their toys, but I think the time could be better spent reviewing things we might actually buy.

Chris

I guess there's a market for everything, and some people may well have the means to buy the CD player you're mentioning.

It's probably nice up to a point to read a glowing review, and one that will possibly feed dreams of a lottery win for some - but like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, such audiophile dreams inspired by such review hyperbole, are fantasy at best.

Without a proper controlled test, referenced either against live music, or if one merely wishes to establishes differences, and perhaps preferences, AB'd blind against other kit (or preferably ABX'd blind) then hoping, or believing on the basis of uncontrolled and unprofessional reviews by amateur journalists, that a very expensive CD player is going to be audio nirvana, is just plain silly and totally illogical.

Instead, just as one may compare a Toyota Corolla to a Rolls Royce, as they are both devices to get you from A to B, and one can have all sorts of diverse criteria to determine which is 'best', the differences to someone with the means to buy the Rolls, will probably be worth it in terms of perceived quality, luxury, engineering finesse, and so on.

As such, someone buying the Burmeister, is probably just as much interested in the perceived exclusivity and quality, as any notions about sound quality.

Ergo, it is very much luxury goods, and there's nothing wrong with that if that is what one wants, and has the money to pay for it - from a marketing point of view.

From a purely sound quality POV, I doubt there'd be a lot in it between it and a decent computer based streamer - however that's not likely to be the main reason someone with the funds to purchase one, would likely choose the Burmeister.

Bear in mind that with the Rolls v's Toyota analogy, subjective impressions can be backed up with facts and measurements - whereas with Hifi and audiophiles, facts and measurements are few and far between in the world of almost totally subjective reviewing.

JMac

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
On AV Forums there are quite a few on there, I am friends with one too.

Does your ability to disturb and unnerve know no limits?

What are you on about this time? :hand:

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:

More's the pity.

Too many cable debates and too many people complaining about expensive CD players.

Yep, I doubt it helps. The women I have had contact with on AV are into their TVs big time. One owns a Pioneer 5090 and previously a Pioneer 428XD.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
What are you on about this time? :hand:

irc.jpg

John Duncan

chebby said:
John Duncan said:
JMacMan, usually I appreciate your thoughts, but I have to take umbrage with this one:

JMacMan said:
amateur reviewers

as I'm almost certain they get paid.

The words JMacMan used were...

JMacMan said:
...reviews by amateur journalists...

I think it makes a difference (albeit subtle) to the point he made.

You are right, I was (mis)quoting from memory, my apologies to JMacMan.

I disagree that the essence changes though.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Those who can afford £35k for a cd player are a tiny minority. In that minority how many read this mag? From experience, expensive installs are done by professionals, the client oblivious to the sound quality of individual items. My argument not to dispute that some may wish to read of these systems but merely to contradict those who think 'the rich' read whf in order to find reviews of very high end equipment.

Thats wot I fink anyway. :)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It's not about people who can afford a £36K CD player robinkidderminster, it's about people who are interested in reading about a £36K CD player even though they will never afford it and that includes me, i quite like temptations in the mag because i like to know whats out their that i can't afford.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
CnoEvil said:

More's the pity.

And too much dribbling whenever they do show their faces...

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
A good £300 + turntable with clean well recorded vinyl will still sound better than a CD player regardeless of its price :wave:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts