50Hz vs 100hz - Should all 50hz TV be discounted!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

Being forced to buy a new TV and am currently dithering on what to choose. Went to Comet/Currys etc last week to have a look at some and in my opinion they may as well not bother wasting the electricity by having them on. All fed with a very poor signal (save the samsung B7000 which always has Wall•E on!)

Any how as they don't make the perfect tv cheap enough (which would be a 3D full array LED with local dimming) I'm considering getting something cheaper (£500 to £800 range) Any how getting to the point should I discount 50Hz tv and look at 100Hz and above. Was thinking about the Sony 40" EX403. but wondered about motion blur etc.

My old tv is a Sony CRT 32" 100hz model - so you can see what I'm coming from.

Also any recommendations to look at for 37" to 42" - oh but no Samsungs as when I've watched a samsung with fast action they've always given me headache! Strange I know!

Advice appreciated

A

Anonymous

I've had a 50hz Sony 37V4000 for the last year which does not have any noticeable motion blur - either in SD or HD.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You'd be safe with 50Hz I think.

Your current TV won't have any frame interpolation, (extra frames created and inserted between the usual frames to smooth motion), and is just showing the same frames more often. the modern TVs have frame interpolation but it can cause a weird look and artefacts as it's generating guessed frames to smooth motion.

My CRT has 100 or 120Hz, and progressive scan, and comparing that to a recently acquired 50/60Hz 1080P projector I don't find the projector is inferior for motion.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I have just seen a Sony EX503 (100hz) for £650 so may go for that now if it's in stock as this is putting it in EX403 price range how ever I did see a 50hz 401 in currys yesterday playing transformers 2 and theirs plenty of fast action in that. Looked smooth to me.

On a lighter note - isn't it funny how we pay more to add 'elements/impurities' that are not in the source when buying a tv but spend more on hi-fi to make sure it's not! Would be buy a CD player that created sounds above 44.1k ??

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts