50hz vs 100hz....again

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All

We're finally looking to be rid of our trusty CRT and dip our toes into the world of new fangled flat panels.

I was in a shop the other day and had a side by side comparison of a 50hz and a 100hz LCD TV (same size/brand/range) with identical source material. Whilst there was no problem with flicker with the 50hz TV, there was a noticeable judder in panning which was absent on the 100hz version. That said, the picture on the latter was almost too smooth, making a movie look like video, albeit exceptionally clear.

Is this normal behaviour for such a comparison? I'm a little confused as I thought 100hz was designed to eliminate flicker only. Is an artificially level of smoothness a downside of 100hz?

Cheers

JFH

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
100Hz can just repeat the frames of a 50Hz picture twice and then it is just reducing flicker, but wouldn't reduce inherent motion judder.

However, modern sets often have motion interpolation which actually guesses a new frame between the two original 50Hz frames. While the guess won't be as good as a real frame it makes the program seem as if it was shot at 50 frames per second and reduces judder.

The down side is, especially for films, it might not look quite right, and there are sometimes other processing artefeacts.

I saw this on a Samsung in a shop and like you say the picture looked smoth, but for me artificial. I have steered away from any motion enhancement on both my TV and projector.

I decided an artificial picture wasn't worth it for the odd bit of judder that might occur and usually goes unnoticed. It does exist at the cinema, as I've looked out for it, but you generally don't notice it.

A

Anonymous

If you're going to miss your old trusty CRT, probably best to look at a plasma.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
What you saw is very unlikely to be the 100Hz interpolation

More than likely it had some form of extra 'processing' going on (Frame noise reduction or suchlike). Normally youd have things of this nature switched off

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
In a shop settings can also get overblown. Sharpness and Contrast could be the cause of the artefacts rather than just the processing engine. Overdoing either setting or using too high a 'dynamic contrast' setting can blur edges as the TV struggles to get everything right.

Personally i prefer 'Frame Interpolation' but only when it is done right. You can always turn it off for films.

Worth trying a local independant shop snd trying the 100hz again.

TRENDING THREADS