EB2 loudspeakers...my review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Where do i put my name down to be an official tester for the new EB4s :grin:

Behave yerself!!!!. :rofl:

In all fairness John, I suspect that EB4 may not work in your scenario. Although it is still technically a closed box, the footprint of it with the plinth may be a little too much for your space but we will see.

Look at him guys!!. Gone from down in the dumps to upgradeitis all in a fortnight. Very anti "Er Indoors". :grin:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Truthfully though you're probably right that my room is not big enough for the EB4s. Still curious as to what they will sound like generally, given how good the EB2s are.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Truthfully though you're probably right that my room is not big enough for the EB4s. Still curious as to what they will sound like generally, given how good the EB2s are.

Maybe I'll bring a pair up to you just to try. But you won't arf be in a muddle if they do work in your room won't you?? :)

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
chebby said:
I would still like to see a manufacturer have the courage to go against 'fashion' and flip the width / depth proportions so that the cabinet has a wider front baffle and less front-to-back depth. These were the 'classic' proportions until relatively recently. I am convinced a wider front baffle used to give better stereo imaging.

Thanks for the review Major. (And for introducing a new test criteria.)

...and easier positioning as well. I too would like to see this revert.

Neat Petit SX?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cse said:
manicm said:
chebby said:
I would still like to see a manufacturer have the courage to go against 'fashion' and flip the width / depth proportions so that the cabinet has a wider front baffle and less front-to-back depth. These were the 'classic' proportions until relatively recently. I am convinced a wider front baffle used to give better stereo imaging.

...and easier positioning as well. I too would like to see this revert.

Neat Petit SX?

I can see what you mean ...

6294449927_a64107eb3b.jpg

... their proportions look a lot more pleasing than some of their peers (to me at least).

(Almost the same proportions as my 1991 vintage JPW Sonatas.)

Although they are rear ported, so will still need more clearance than an infinite baffle cabinet.

Manicm's desire for "easier positioning" is not reflected in Neat's advice on the matter. (A starting point of 12" from the wall and 24" from corners and 20 degrees toe-in is suggested before individual 'experimentation'.)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

The benefit of a closed box is the fact that it can be played off a wall with minimal room interactions. The proportions will obviously be larger than even the ones below but they don't qualify because they are ported and once ported, the dimensions become irrelevant. True, the speakers below look nice and nearer to the classic proportions of yesteryear but once you introduce that port, whether front or rear or a transmission line, you are coupling the room to the internal volume of the cabinets. This means moving away from a wall. not where I'm coming from.

6294449927_a64107eb3b.jpg

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Hi Richard. Is there any news on those active speakers that you were working on a while ago?

Just to update you Steve, there will be a powered version of EB2 for the studio market called the ER2. This will not be a truly active design. It will use saddle-back amps that the engineer can plug directly into the desk. This keeps all the attributes of EB2 but allows engineers to use them in a pro environment.

The active upgrade for all the EB models and the new Arcaydis FS1 floorstander is a little way off yet. Loads of PCBs to design and etch. Hence September Launch. This active upgrade is intended for the HiFi market and will be accompanied by a digital / analogue pre-amp. Like I said, I'll keep you posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts