EB2 loudspeakers...my review

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to this forum and specifically thanks to the generosity of Richard Allen of EB Acoustics with whom I struck a very agreeable deal, as of last Sunday afternoon I'm now the proud owner of the WHFSV? demo-pair of EB2 loudspeakers, personally delivered to my home on the Fylde Coast by the man himself and his delightful long-suffering OH.

Richard ably assisted with the installation on my tatty-but-functional old Apollo 18" speaker-stands, and after a scary moment where the LH channel didn't work because some pixie had mysteriously disconnected one of the speaker cables from my amp overnight (it was working fine the day before, and nothing had been moved except the MS10i's), we were up and running.

One of the qualities which Richard was keen to demonstrate was how crisp and fast the speakers are with transient sounds like drums and percussion, so we queued-up a live recording of Cozy Powell via Spotify. Must admit, I was damn impressed. I don't know enough about physics to argue, but Richard's explanation that these qualities are facilitated by the speakers' sealed infinite-baffle design makes sense to me. They exhibit none of the blur and waffle I've become accustomed to from ported designs. In fact I think when one's listened to ported speakers for so long, one becomes deaf to those kind of distortions until someone comes along and takes them away. The soundstage was deep and wide and even at reasonable volumes there was no lack of impact or drama.

Other reviews have praised the speakers' open and revealing midrange, which is especially flattering to vocalists. A quick listen to Shelby Lynne's well-recorded clear close-miked vocals (again via Spotify) confirmed this to be the case. These speakers are easily as insightful as the Mission 794s I sold in September, but without ever straying into the harshness which sometimes made listening to the 'wrong' material painful.

Continuing to enlist the services of Spotify, we dialled-in some modern electronic dance courtesy of Will.i.am. When required, these speakers can certainly pump the air, without ever a sense that their bass is a one-trick pony. This is in contrast to some speakers that are carefully tuned to give a satisfying whoomph at the all-important 80-100Hz range but have nothing to speak of either side of it.

The speakers are more than capable of lifting their skirts up. A lossless rip of Chris Rea's "Let's Dance" from "The Journey" album had toes a tapping (yes literally) with Rea’s guitar soaring through the mix without sounding too tiresome or shrill.

With wife and kiddies now away to visit her relatives in Scotland, last night I had chance to run through a couple more choice test tracks/albums that I don't play when she's around because she doesn't like them. One of the first I always fly-to is Vangelis's "China" album. Recorded on a mix of electronic synthesizers and acoustic instruments including grand piano, timpani and various Chinese flutes and plucked string instruments, virtually every 'test' you'd expect a pair of speakers to pass is condensed here in 41 minutes of music. The speakers didn't disappoint. With the front covers removed the soundstage they produce is huge and impeccably textured (ever so slightly narrower with the covers in place). Slam is there when it's called for but there's never a hint of upper-bass bloom. The detailed but sweet treble was there again to ice the cake.

Finally I found time so try another system-testing favourite/tired old chestnut: Dire Straits' "Private Investigations". Never, in my house at least, have the footsteps and bottle-smashing at the end sounded so realistic in such a deep (artificial) soundstage. Even the cat woke up and took notice, which I reckon is equivalent to a rating of at least Three Wives, maybe four.

These speakers are so fast and crisp that the realism on leading edges and transients can be uncanny, and sometimes it's the most unusual things which demonstrate it. I was watching the final nine holes of the Masters golf tournament late on Sunday night, and as Bubba Watson tee'd off with his famous pink driver, the 'clap' against the ball and even the slight post-impact 'ring' had such sting and realism that it sounded like he'd tee'd off in my own living room.

However I think it's also worth noting that the sound from these speakers will not be for everybody, nor for everybody's systems. If you're used to speakers that have an upper-bass bloom, your initial impressions might be that these speakers are bass-light. The real truth is, they're most definitely not bass-light: they can produce a bass that can tingle your testiculars, providing it's there on the track. What they won't do is artificially add the upper-bass bloom (like a mild loudness switch) that leads to what's often called a 'one note bass'. This can sound incredible on dance and drum’n’bass tracks, but leads to instruments such as double-basses dropping in and out of a mix depending on what note they're playing. Another consideration is that systems which are already bright will not do these speakers any favours. They benefit from a system with a neutral or slightly warm presentation to leave them sounding balanced and involving rather than over-analytical.

So in short, these are highly recommended. Many thanks to Richard and his wife for bringing them up, I know I am going to have an enjoyable time rediscovering a lot of my old music again.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Excellent review!

As you say, Richard has been amazingly generous (especially with his time).

Also great to hear that you're thrilled with the speakers after your dark night of the soul a month or two ago.

:clap:

Matt

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Excellent review.

I think the ultimate test of any speaker is whether they get the attention of your cat. It seems the EB2s pass with flying colours.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Finally I found time so try another system-testing favourite/tired old chestnut: Dire Straits' "Private Investigations". Never, in my house at least, have the footsteps and bottle-smashing at the end sounded so realistic in such a deep (artificial) soundstage. Even the cat woke up and took notice, which I reckon is equivalent to a rating of at least Three Wives, maybe four.

Great!!. Cheers John. You've just organised my next piece of test equipment. A bluddy cat!!!.

Wait til the snooker's on the box. The cat'll be there looking for the potted balls. :rofl:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Major, I'm truly delighted that this has worked out for you.....and full marks to Richard for going the extra mile to deliver on his promise.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Excellent review, really pleased you've got some good news at last. I recall saying on the thread where these were offered that these may just be your ideal speakers!

FWIW your feelings about sealed v ported match mine. I used to say it quite often but gave up with the reaction from people who like their ported speakers! Enjoy.

And again, well done Richard :clap:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Great!!. Cheers John. You've just organised my next piece of test equipment. A bluddy cat!!!.

Wait til the snooker's on the box. The cat'll be there looking for the potted balls. :rofl:

Whenever a ball gets potted our cat runs around the back of the TV set to see where it's gone.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I found the EB2's very light in the sneakers to be honest. At the time my supporting kit was all Cyrus which may explain this?

And the very fact that you've ditched it proves the point. If a Marantz can drive them then the Cyrus should've walked it but it didn't. Cyrus 8 if I remember correctly. What you've got now will more than adequately drive EB2 or indeed the new EB4 floorstander. Good choice of source components by the way.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I remember the thread (back in January 2010) where we were all invited to suggest ideas for Richard's next loudspeaker after the success of his EB1s.

I almost ordered a pair once when I had my Naim system. I sold my nSats to help raise the money, bought a cheap pair of 'place markers' (MS20i Pearl Editions) to use whilst waiting, but then decided to sell the entire system and go in a different direction completely.

I miss not having had the opportunity to try the EB2s. They are - after all - something i've been banging on about for years (infinite baffle speakers, with a decent sized bass/mid driver, that don't cost a fortune).

Almost.

I would still like to see a manufacturer have the courage to go against 'fashion' and flip the width / depth proportions so that the cabinet has a wider front baffle and less front-to-back depth. These were the 'classic' proportions until relatively recently. I am convinced a wider front baffle used to give better stereo imaging.

Thanks for the review Major. (And for introducing a new test criteria.)

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I remember the thread (back in January 2010) where we were all invited to suggest ideas for Richard's next loudspeaker after the success of his EB1s.

I almost ordered a pair once when I had my Naim system. I sold my nSats to help raise the money, bought a cheap pair of 'place markers' (MS20i Pearl Editions) to use whilst waiting, but then decided to sell the entire system and go in a different direction completely.

I miss not having had the opportunity to try the EB2s. They are - after all - something i've been banging on about for years (infinite baffle speakers, with a decent sized bass/mid driver, that don't cost a fortune).

Almost.

I would still like to see a manufacturer have the courage to go against 'fashion' and flip the width / depth proportions so that the cabinet has a wider front baffle and less front-to-back depth. These were the 'classic' proportions until relatively recently. I am convinced a wider front baffle used to give better stereo imaging.

Thanks for the review Major. (And for introducing a new test criteria.)

I'm with you on that chebby. I personally would love to see someone do a modern day version of the speakers I have. EB acoustics could possibly be just the company to do it?????

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:

OK. I'll do it Chebby. Got the drive units to do it here anyway but they're not cheap. SEAS bass units. I'll keep you informed. :shifty:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
chebby said:

OK. I'll do it Chebby. Got the drive units to do it here anyway but they're not cheap. SEAS bass units. I'll keep you informed. :shifty:

I knew you wanted to. As you said when I raised the question here previously ...

"There is an equation, although the exact maths escape me at the moment, as to the width and the depth of a loudspeaker. The ratio, I believe, is the diameter of the driver vs the width of the cabinet. Ideally, the cabinet should be wider than it is deep. This is to allow for ' diffraction'. Unfortunately, 'Er Indoors' dictated that loudspeakers should have a slimmer profile so, because of market forces, we went there. As was previously posted, these became reflex designs (with all the shortcomings), but the ideal is wider than depth."

:)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and kind comments. As you probably guess I have been putting some time into ensuring the speakers are - erm - properly run in ;) Oh and the cat sends his regards.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Gazzip said:
I found the EB2's very light in the sneakers to be honest. At the time my supporting kit was all Cyrus which may explain this?

And the very fact that you've ditched it proves the point. If a Marantz can drive them then the Cyrus should've walked it but it didn't. Cyrus 8 if I remember correctly. What you've got now will more than adequately drive EB2 or indeed the new EB4 floorstander. Good choice of source components by the way.

Good memory sir! Is the EB4 out yet? I really, really liked the mids and highs of the EB2's but the low frequency element didn't work for me. I guess the EB4's might be worth trying as they will probably supply the bass I thought to be lacking in the EB2's. Actually, lacking bass is wrong. It was just too fast and tight for my ear.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Richard Allen said:
Gazzip said:

Good memory sir! Is the EB4 out yet? I really, really liked the mids and highs of the EB2's but the low frequency element didn't work for me. I guess the EB4's might be worth trying as they will probably supply the bass I thought to be lacking in the EB2's. Actually, lacking bass is wrong. It was just too fast and tight for my ear.

No, you were right the 1st time. EB with Cyrus 8 sounds crap!. Works with Cyrus 6 tho ( still haven't figured that one out ). Anyway, that's by the by. The fact that it works with a Marantz proves this. Even I was surprised by the sound that Major's got. His lounge isn't the biggest in the world and the way his sytem is set up wouldn't be my ideal choice but hey!, it's one of the best sounds I've EVER heard from either EB1 or 2. With Bryston you can be assured not only of the delivery to the speakers but also and most importantly the control that it will exhibit. hope to hear from you at some point. Keep watching the website for EB4.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
:grin: I'm not sure mate, I'm thinking I need to squeeze in a few more CDs before the Mrs returns tomorrow, you know, just make absolutely sure they're run in properly*. I mean, you can't be too cautious about these things can you. :rockout: :rockout: :dance: :dance:

*not that I'm just using that as a lame excuse to listen to more music on my new speakers... :oops:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts