5 Year Plan (Plot)?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Amplifier is a deffo keeper. There's only two exceptions: Either the amp blows up or I become rich, if the latter I'll probably go with the Tucana, otherwise the Pulse all the way. Other than that mainly tweaks.

Possibles: Change speakers to gawd know what at the moment. And perhaps upgrade the source at some point, probably to a CD192 or Exposure 3010S (both s/hand).

At the moment bunny content.:cheer:

Ah, there you are......I thought all this TV malarky had gone to your head. :roll:

After all this fame and fortune has swelled your bank balance to celebrity like proportions, I expect to see a Linn DS + Tucana + PL300s. ;)

Bunny even more content! :grin:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
yes I agree that 5 years is a long time, especially when it comes to DACs. Quite exciting really.

PS: we all know alcalex is going to end up with a Primo and AMS 100.

Wow...it already seems great through a youtube video!!! ;)

FennerMachine said:
PP, what kit do you have?

Can't see it in your sig.

Leema Pulse MKII, Arcam CD73T, MA RS6s, Pro-ject Xpression 1 + very old Marantz tuner (still sounds fab) and Chord and Merlin cables. Speaker cables will be upgraded shortly to Odyssey from SilverScreen.

The interaction between each component is as good as I could hope for, given the price disparity.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Amplifier is a deffo keeper. There's only two exceptions: Either the amp blows up or I become rich, if the latter I'll probably go with the Tucana, otherwise the Pulse all the way. Other than that mainly tweaks.

Possibles: Change speakers to gawd know what at the moment. And perhaps upgrade the source at some point, probably to a CD192 or Exposure 3010S (both s/hand).

At the moment bunny content.:cheer:

Ah, there you are......I thought all this TV malarky had gone to your head. :roll: After all this fame and fortune has swelled your bank balance to celebrity like proportions, I expect to see a Linn DS + Tucana + PL300s. ;) Bunny even more content! :grin:

The reality is soooooooo different. Not written a single word yet, just up to my eyeballs with reams of paperwork. Jeeze, this research malarky is tedious...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Helmut80 said:
yes I agree that 5 years is a long time, especially when it comes to DACs. Quite exciting really.

PS: we all know alcalex is going to end up with a Primo and AMS 100.

Wow...it already seems great through a youtube video!!! ;)

A forklift truck and a powerful generator are needed as part of this system.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
then in 5 years ...

This month I will bought my first stereo amplifier, always had my sources connected to my Yamaha AV receiver, which till date did the honors.

Hi-Fi
Rega Brio R + Rega DAC + Rega RP3 (Christmas this year)

Speakers (summer)
Epos Epic5 or
MA RX6

AV
Replace the RX V750 for a Onkyo 8 series or Yamaha 1000 Series

Replace LG390 BD by a CA or OPPO, must be a goog BD spinner and SACD reader.

In 1 or 2 years I expect there is something similar to Squeezebox Touch in the market that supports reading Hi-Res files of a hard disk drive directly scrolling through all the folders and audio files in a fast and effective way (Squeezebox weakness) with a slightly larger screen, remote, and many tricks up his sleeve. in order to be abble to controle a library of 1 or 2TB that can be controlled with this device. I do not want streaming, I want to connect it to my DAC via optical or coaxial cable. will be asking too much ...?

A Jukebox mp3/FLAC and so on reader

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
PP, nice kit and good that you find it all works together! One of the reasons I started demoing kit again and changed two major components, speakers and pre-amp. I had a system that cost over £5000.00 if all bought at full price and new. It sounded good when I bought it and enjoyed it for a few years. Then I heard a friends system that must have cost less than half mine? Second hand could probably match it for £1000.00 but it sounded better than mine when playing a few songs!

His system was good in its day and well balanced. Still sounds good now.

I have now managed that with my system by balancing the components. Took a little experimenting but it was worth it! Glad you like your system. A well matched 'budget' system can outclass an expensive unbalanced inappropriate-for-the-room system.

And if an old component works like your Marantz tuner or my Quad 44 pre-amp why change it?

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Well before this year is out I want to ditch the last remnants of my Logitech Z5500 system and finally get a proper AV amp and Sub. Wayne says it better than I can - It Will Be Mine

As for the future?

A place of my own would be nice. Assuming I have upgraded by the end of the year I can see my AV amp, sub & HTM62 forming the basis of a home cinema setup. My 601s3's would probably still be used with my computer but this time attached to a hi-fi amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drichardb said:
Well before this year is out I want to ditch the last remnants of my Logitech Z5500 system and finally get a proper AV amp and Sub. Wayne says it better than I can - It Will Be Mine

As for the future?

A place of my own would be nice. Assuming I have upgraded by the end of the year I can see my AV amp, sub & HTM62 forming the basis of a home cinema setup. My 601s3's would probably still be used with my computer but this time attached to a hi-fi amp.

Good job. I hope it goes according to plan....and if it doesn't, there's an eclectic assortment of knowledgeable bods on here, ready and willing to help!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Now that I have the deck I want (Michell Gyro SEduction), I'm sorted as far as a turntable goes. The only thing I may add to it one day will be an SME V. Job done.

The only other existing part of my hi-fi system currently is the KEF Blades. I'll be looking to add amplification into the system at some point, which odds on favourite is Bryston, as I've always liked the KEF Reference/Bryston sound. There are a couple of things that could upset that, one of them being Cyrus. The top Cyrus system works a treat with the Blades, especially with four Mono X300's. The other thing is Classe. Just like the Gyrodec, a Classe system is something I've always wanted ever since I laid eyes on it. Apart from looking gorgeous, it sounds good too, but I'm just a little worried that it might be a little too laid back for me, although maybe I'll be able to get away with Bryston power amplification with a Classe pre-amp. We'll see. The CP800 has caught my eye. This digital pre-amp with in board parametric EQ and tone control, which might come in handy if the Classe power amps are a little too laid back. With bass management too, a couple of B&W DB1's or Reference 209 subs can be added and perfected to make a speaker system that truly excels at 20-20kHz. Also, it's supposed to work miracles with USB based source components, which will take care of the streaming side of things.

As far as my AV system is concerned, I'll be pretty content watching a 4K2K digital projector. If the processing side isn't taken care of one of the Onkyo 5509 successors, it could well be something like a Bryston SP3, or maybe Classe's SSP800 (yet to hear it though). The choice of pre/processor will determine the amplification, so that'll be either the Bryston 9Bsst2 or the Classe CA5300. I'm sure if and when I change my current R300 based system, it'll be for whatever comes in the next chapter for KEF's Reference loudspeakers. Unless something else comes along that can turn my head... :)

Of course, a suitable house is on the cards first, which will dictate whether these two system go ahead, or get combined.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
I've got no plan......I've got no plan.....I've got no plan....I've just bought some Harbeths. >)

Really?

If so. Which ones?

I was gently "taking the Michael" out of Paradiziac; and also in general, commenting on what can happen to ones' resolve in this crazy hobby.....just look at what happened Steve750 and his Arcam A38. BTW Are you maintaing the status quo, or are there any additions planned over the next few years?

Hmm, more a reflection of my impatient impulsive nature than any logical excursion up a one way street.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Great thread. Nice to see some positivity on this forum!

In the next five years I intend to choose the bookshelf speakers for my bedroom system, to replace the current Leema Xero's, which are going into the kitchen. The amp is a Cyrus 8xpd qx, source Sonos zp90, which I am very happy with. To be honest this should happen on the next five months, not years.

Likely to take a little longer than five months, although hopefully within the five year limit set, I am aiming to upgrade my main system. My Arcam AV9 to be swapped for an AV888, probably end of line when Arcam update it. My P7 I really want to upgrade to some form of Bryston amplification, although this is likely to be the most expensive bit. I would like a 4B SST and a 6B SST please! Assuming they start making them, I would like to get some new PMC twenty six floorstanders (a PB1i equivalent please PMC!?!), and then will move my FB1i's to the rear channels.

I think that's all for now :)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

In 5 year I want this fabulous machine with everything I deserve! Cheers

Paint it white, call it an i-FabulousGizmo, add an i-Thingie dock, and it will sell like hot cakes.

Then one year later make the i-FabulousGizmo2.

Make sure you have the rotating vinyl concept patented though so you don't get sued, and can launch patent infringement law suits against every turntable manufacturer in the world.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Now that I have the deck I want (Michell Gyro SEduction), I'm sorted as far as a turntable goes. The only thing I may add to it one day will be an SME V. Job done.

The only other existing part of my hi-fi system currently is the KEF Blades. I'll be looking to add amplification into the system at some point, which odds on favourite is Bryston, as I've always liked the KEF Reference/Bryston sound. There are a couple of things that could upset that, one of them being Cyrus. The top Cyrus system works a treat with the Blades, especially with four Mono X300's. The other thing is Classe. Just like the Gyrodec, a Classe system is something I've always wanted ever since I laid eyes on it. Apart from looking gorgeous, it sounds good too, but I'm just a little worried that it might be a little too laid back for me, although maybe I'll be able to get away with Bryston power amplification with a Classe pre-amp. We'll see. The CP800 has caught my eye. This digital pre-amp with in board parametric EQ and tone control, which might come in handy if the Classe power amps are a little too laid back. With bass management too, a couple of B&W DB1's or Reference 209 subs can be added and perfected to make a speaker system that truly excels at 20-20kHz. Also, it's supposed to work miracles with USB based source components, which will take care of the streaming side of things.

As far as my AV system is concerned, I'll be pretty content watching a 4K2K digital projector. If the processing side isn't taken care of one of the Onkyo 5509 successors, it could well be something like a Bryston SP3, or maybe Classe's SSP800 (yet to hear it though). The choice of pre/processor will determine the amplification, so that'll be either the Bryston 9Bsst2 or the Classe CA5300. I'm sure if and when I change my current R300 based system, it'll be for whatever comes in the next chapter for KEF's Reference loudspeakers. Unless something else comes along that can turn my head... :)

Of course, a suitable house is on the cards first, which will dictate whether these two system go ahead, or get combined.

David, thank you for a quick snapshot into the mind of "the keeper of the sweetshop".

Given the quality of the Blades, there is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders to do them justice...Always one to have an opinion, I have a suggestion from "left field," that you also might like to consider (if you haven't already):

VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre + VTL MB 450 Series 111 Mono Block Power Amps

Its hard to fully describe the sound of this pair, maybe the love-child of a Bryston and a Classe. The power, impact and realism was one of the first things that struck me, when I first heard them (powering Focal Utopia Mystros). They certainly don't sound like a typical valve amp, nor do they sound like a SS one.

I must be crazy recommending something to a dealer......but that's me!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil, I love the name of the new gizmo! You'll defenetly be the god father of the iMadintosh and will be rewarded with 10% of share and will be offered a seat on the share holder board.

Cheers stockholder

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CnoEvil, I love the name of the new gizmo! You'll defenetly be the god father of the iMadintosh and will be rewarded with 10% of share and will be offered a seat on the share holder board. Cheers stockholder

Dragon's Den, here we come! :dance: ....which of them do you think will make the best partner (the one with the shoulder pads is a bit scary)? :shifty:

TRENDING THREADS