5 Year Plan (Plot)?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
MattSPL said:
Room treatment

Build 2 DIY subs using 18" Tc sounds LMS 5400 drive units, powered by Funk audio 2.4kw plate amps.

Have ATC build me a pair of scm150 cabinets to install the drivers and amps from my ATC PA-65's into

:grin:

It's good to see you're living up to your name! :grin:

:rofl:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...next 5 years will be a revolution for me :bounce:

New house in Brussels, wedding, kids (for sure at least the first one in the next 5 years), 3rd business!

On hi fi-side:

Amps: if I decide for valves then the Jadis D50S which will be almost replaced with the D88S :rockout:

If I decide for SS then AMS35i which will be almost replaced by Primo+AMS35p :wall:

Speakers: SF Guarneri Memento or Evolution

Source: Clearaudio Performance turntable with EAR tube phonostage + Klimax DS or high end DAC

Does it sound like a good plan?

For sure an expensive one :wall:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Now that's what I call a plan.......I think you will end up with a most interesting and unusual system. 8). If you are having a christening ceremony, count me in. ;)

thanks :). y'know, this is a dream system. and unfortunately dreams seldom come true. but I surely wish this one came true :rockout:

BTW, consider yourself invited. but expect a long wait too ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
CnoEvil said:
Now that's what I call a plan.......I think you will end up with a most interesting and unusual system. 8). If you are having a christening ceremony, count me in. ;)

thanks :). y'know, this is a dream system. and unfortunately dreams seldom come true. but I surely wish this one came true :rockout:

Can I join as well? :cheers:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Probably no change. If anything changes I'll probably slot in a small sealed cabinet sub. (missing the lower registers where the DB1i doesn't quite reach) or switch to some discreet floor standers like PMC GB1i (although the 20 series call to me...).

Less likely, but still tempting is to either get a Mac mini as a music server, or get rid of the Esoteric RZ-1 completely and switch to a streamer or Mac mini + DAC and a Luxman L-505ux, some suitable floorstanders and indulge my desire for some Nordost Blue Heaven LS speaker cable

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Really can't see myself getting shut of the Systemdek unless it packs in. I just don't have the funds to seriously improve on it.

Same with the Creek Evo 2 combo, absolutely love it. Playing tons more CD's these days than I have for many a year. There was a very brief, spur of the moment flirtation with the Onkyo TX-8050, but all that did ultimately was to make me appreciate just how good the Creeks are.

Not got a DAC at the moment, hanging fire on that front at the moment. The choices these days are quite bewildering, so just using the PC's soundcard direct into the amp. A Squeezebox Touch for the internet radio is on the agenda but I'm waiting for a good deal to come up similar to the one on Amazon last year. However, my PC is more than adequate for Spotify and Radio Paradise so in no great need to buy a DAC/SBT.

The Mission 752's have been my best bargain ever (£80, 2 months ago) and still continue to delight me. Bought originally out of curiousity, I'm not certain how much I'd have to spend to better them. I'm very keen to have a listen to the new Epos Elan standmounts when they come out next week, they look gorgeous with a much better finish then the Epic range, it will be interesting to compare them to the Mi series (currently some fabulous deals to be had for these as they clear the decks for the Elan).

Cables wise, I'm fully covered now. Mark Grant I/C's are excellent, just keep an eye on their website and pick up clearance/B stock bargains for about half price deals.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well...next 5 years will be a revolution for me :bounce:

New house in Brussels, wedding, kids (for sure at least the first one in the next 5 years), 3rd business!

On hi fi-side:

Amps: if I decide for valves then the Jadis D50S which will be almost replaced with the D88S :rockout:

If I decide for SS then AMS35i which will be almost replaced by Primo+AMS35p :wall:

Speakers: SF Guarneri Memento or Evolution

Source: Clearaudio Performance turntable with EAR tube phonostage + Klimax DS or high end DAC

Does it sound like a good plan?

For sure an expensive one :wall:

I had a small inkling where your plans were heading :shifty: ....just make sure your credit card doesn't self combust (due to an exo-thermic reaction). :O

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

can't say for 5 years but the next 2 I am still hunting for a good price Alpha 9 or maybe a NAD c370 to replace my Alpha 5 which is showing its age a little, have even considered a Leema if I get some ppi money back.

I will also be looking for a DAC for my main system, I am leaning towards the MF M1 or maybe the clic as I think a streamer maybe a better way forward as I can see me listening to more pc generated music.
This I think will be the biggest change as since I got my DACMagic listening to Spotify has been great and am noticing my cd spending has dropped off the cliff and hence spending on a better DAC/streamer.
As someone who worked in the record industry for 20 years I do have some qualms about this but times and markets change so I feel I am being swept along eventually with this change.

The other big change will be moving to my 'old' appt which has a lot more space where I can enjoy my music at louder listening level so could maybe look at smaller speakers such as the new PMC's which could be tempting but who knows what will or won't happen by then.

Good thread, well done, thank you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:

Don't be so sure......having a plan, writing it down and then focusing towards it, often sees it coming to fruition.

I'll be there for "Tea and Tunes". :dance:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
Probably no change. If anything changes I'll probably slot in a small sealed cabinet sub. (missing the lower registers where the DB1i doesn't quite reach) or switch to some discreet floor standers like PMC GB1i (although the 20 series call to me...).

Less likely, but still tempting is to either get a Mac mini as a music server, or get rid of the Esoteric RZ-1 completely and switch to a streamer or Mac mini + DAC and a Luxman L-505ux, some suitable floorstanders and indulge my desire for some Nordost Blue Heaven LS speaker cable

Spoken like a true Audiophile.....ie. Start off with "probably no change", and then go on to list all the changes that may take place....excellent! ;)

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
yes I agree that 5 years is a long time, especially when it comes to DACs. Quite exciting really.

PS: we all know alcalex is going to end up with a Primo and AMS 100.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, can't say for 5 years but the next 2 I am still hunting for a good price Alpha 9 or maybe a NAD c370 to replace my Alpha 5 which is showing its age a little, have even considered a Leema if I get some ppi money back. I will also be looking for a DAC for my main system, I am leaning towards the MF M1 or maybe the clic as I think a streamer maybe a better way forward as I can see me listening to more pc generated music. This I think will be the biggest change as since I got my DACMagic listening to Spotify has been great and am noticing my cd spending has dropped off the cliff and hence spending on a better DAC/streamer. As someone who worked in the record industry for 20 years I do have some qualms about this but times and markets change so I feel I am being swept along eventually with this change. The other big change will be moving to my 'old' appt which has a lot more space where I can enjoy my music at louder listening level so could maybe look at smaller speakers such as the new PMC's which could be tempting but who knows what will or won't happen by then. Good thread, well done, thank you.
Glad you think so. It allows the passion that people have, to be expressed without getting into semantics or polemic arguments (hopefully). ......there is also the off chance, that good ideas will be triggered by the plans of others.

:beer: :beer:

Cno

matthewpiano

I've thought about this some more with a fresher head this morning. I think the key word for me is going to be simplicity. I want to end up with a system which keeps me absolutely wrapped up in the music, is built to last, and offers all the functionality I need without becoming over complicated or box heavy. I think streaming could become a much bigger part of my listening in order to achieve this and that (given my need for gapless playback support) the Squeezebox Touch is going to be ideal, particularly as I like the user interface of the SB products.

Maybe I got slightly carried away with what I'm likely to be able to afford when I responded last night. I can be a bit of a dreamer sometimes! I suspect the Sugden Mystro may well be the very top of what I can afford price-wise for an amp in the next 5 years, and I also think I'd be very happy with it - I've heard it a few times and I'm always impressed with it's superb musicality. Of course, I'd probably have to compare it to whatever amps Creek has at the time, as I'm a big fan of Michael Creek's designs.

Of course, any change would have to be a significant upgrade on what I've got. The Onkyo really is a brilliant amp and I think the amplification is actually the best aspect of it. With Epos M5i it sounds far more expensive than it actually is...

Vinyl always woos me with its romanticism, but I never find it such a happy long-term companion. I will have to think very carefully before I spend any more money in that direction, even on a cartridge. Maybe I've got lazy, or maybe I now find the sound quality from digital formats to be just as good and less distracting. Who knows! The complicated thinking of a hi-fi fan!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
Really can't see myself getting shut of the Systemdek unless it packs in. I just don't have the funds to seriously improve on it.

Same with the Creek Evo 2 combo, absolutely love it. Playing tons more CD's these days than I have for many a year. There was a very brief, spur of the moment flirtation with the Onkyo TX-8050, but all that did ultimately was to make me appreciate just how good the Creeks are.

Not got a DAC at the moment, hanging fire on that front at the moment. The choices these days are quite bewildering, so just using the PC's soundcard direct into the amp. A Squeezebox Touch for the internet radio is on the agenda but I'm waiting for a good deal to come up similar to the one on Amazon last year. However, my PC is more than adequate for Spotify and Radio Paradise so in no great need to buy a DAC/SBT.

The Mission 752's have been my best bargain ever (£80, 2 months ago) and still continue to delight me. Bought originally out of curiousity, I'm not certain how much I'd have to spend to better them. I'm very keen to have a listen to the new Epos Elan standmounts when they come out next week, they look gorgeous with a much better finish then the Epic range, it will be interesting to compare them to the Mi series (currently some fabulous deals to be had for these as they clear the decks for the Elan).

Cables wise, I'm fully covered now. Mark Grant I/C's are excellent, just keep an eye on their website and pick up clearance/B stock bargains for about half price deals.

Five years is a long time in an audiophile's life, with temptation always just round the corner, ready to pounce!

Resistance is futile! >)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
What's your opinion on PMC speakers Cno?

I think they are a clean and lively sounding, well designed "professional monitor", that aren't too analytical for domestic use. Since they are TL, they are a home friendly design, without compromising the bass. It sounds like they have raised the bar with the new Twenty Series.

I think they make a great match with slightly warmer sounding amps like Arcam, MF and Sugden.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Just need a suitable pair of speakers to go with my Sugden electronics and a bit of room treatment.

Once I have that set-up, I'm curious to see how an affordable TT sounds--I still have some old vinyl that would be nice to play once in a while.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Just need a suitable pair of speakers to go with my Sugden electronics and a bit of room treatment.

Once I have that set-up, I'm curious to see how an affordable TT sounds--I still have some old vinyl that would be nice to play once in a while.

To where do your thoughts wander regarding speakers (remind me of your amp - it's hard to keep track)?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I've thought about this some more with a fresher head this morning. I think the key word for me is going to be simplicity. I want to end up with a system which keeps me absolutely wrapped up in the music, is built to last, and offers all the functionality I need without becoming over complicated or box heavy. I think streaming could become a much bigger part of my listening in order to achieve this and that (given my need for gapless playback support) the Squeezebox Touch is going to be ideal, particularly as I like the user interface of the SB products.

Maybe I got slightly carried away with what I'm likely to be able to afford when I responded last night. I can be a bit of a dreamer sometimes! I suspect the Sugden Mystro may well be the very top of what I can afford price-wise for an amp in the next 5 years, and I also think I'd be very happy with it - I've heard it a few times and I'm always impressed with it's superb musicality. Of course, I'd probably have to compare it to whatever amps Creek has at the time, as I'm a big fan of Michael Creek's designs.

Of course, any change would have to be a significant upgrade on what I've got. The Onkyo really is a brilliant amp and I think the amplification is actually the best aspect of it. With Epos M5i it sounds far more expensive than it actually is...

Vinyl always woos me with its romanticism, but I never find it such a happy long-term companion. I will have to think very carefully before I spend any more money in that direction, even on a cartridge. Maybe I've got lazy, or maybe I now find the sound quality from digital formats to be just as good and less distracting. Who knows! The complicated thinking of a hi-fi fan!

As an interested person looking in, I think you have the following problems (attributes):

- Your job means you know exactly how different pianos should sound.

- Your love and appreciation of classical music mean you probably go to concerts, and have an above average understanding of the passion behind the music and how it should sound.

- An interest in Hifi and music has meant that you have heard what inspiring kit can bring to the table, as well as how difficult it is, to even approximate the realism and emotion of the real thing......on a budget!

Now getting into the realms of speculation, I think you have a battle going on between the head and the heart. The head says that you want a good, but simple budget solution, where streaming from the likes of Spotify will do the job......but the heart rebels as it wants more....more emotion, more excitement, more realism .

This is where I get like my trouble-making brother (HearNoEvil) and say (guess) that you won't be truly satisfied/happy until the "Soul" of the music is at the very heart of the system you end up with.

IMO This is possible to do at a reasonable budget, but it means going a fair bit off piste. If I was giving advise (which I'm not - wouldn't dare to be so bold), as well as the Sugden, I would be pushing you gently towards a value amp from Audio Note (they do affordable ones), Icon Audio or Pure Sound.

The speakers that go under the radar are the AX and AZ from Audio Note, which should be on any music lovers shortlist, especially with lower powered amps, or if placement is near walls/corners. The other obvious ones are from SF.

No pressure......Just saying!!

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Helmut80 said:
What's your opinion on PMC speakers Cno?

I think they are a clean and lively sounding, well designed "professional monitor", that aren't too analytical for domestic use. Since they are TL, they are a home friendly design, without compromising the bass. It sounds like they have raised the bar with the new Twenty Series. I think they make a great match with slightly warmer sounding amps like Arcam, MF and Sugden.

What's TL? I have listened to the PMC range up to PB1is because they have a rep for good bass and easy(ish) placement due to being front ported, but I have always found something missing. Not quite warm, cosy and lush enough for my tastes maybe. After that video I posted above, I'd now like to hear a pair on the end of a pure class A amp though.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This thread is evil, you do know that Cno. don't you?

It seems there is so much out there at the moment that I want to have a listen to. :cry:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts