5 Year Plan (Plot)?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
paradiziac said:
Just need a suitable pair of speakers to go with my Sugden electronics and a bit of room treatment.

To where do your thoughts wander regarding speakers (remind me of your amp - it's hard to keep track)?

Amp: Mystro and A21a.

No fixed ideas yet about budget/type/brand of speakers--it's a 5 year plan, right? ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thread . . . thinking about where I will be in 5 years? As a fairly unambitious individual these days, I suspect nothing much will change? Looking back, I have had my toe in the refined world of high end hifi and enjoyed it. Twenty years on, with only 12 months of modern hifi experience, its been a bit of a blast for me. Talk about a steep learning curve . . . mm :? more like learning how to walk again?

The original goal was achieving a similar listening experience as 25 years ago, that I have done as close as I can 'remember' . . . moving onto what? I have a sound I enjoy, its musical and organic, makes the hairs on my neck stand up on occasions, my biggest concern is replacing the speakers if and when they expire?

I suppose, if I was to be honest, I might like to have a listen to some 'better?' speaker cables, but would they be just different to my much loved and very old K20 cable? I doubt it is worth looking at a better TT, my P5 is modded up, sports a very fancy cartridge and I dont think my modest LP collection warrants the expenditure. Thats a work in progress, 5 years may see a considerable increase in the vinyl and CD collection . . . ?

A bit down beat . . . So onwards and upwards, to improve on my computer listening is a desire. Digital is so much better these days, problem is, my total lack of understanding of computer systems. However I do enjoy a simple Spotify connection, via my HRT DAC, yes thats it, in less than 5 years a small wireless computer on my coffee table that I can flit about on Spotify, listen to and watch iPlayer . . . I did say I was not ambitious.

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
I've got onre more...

What else did you audition when you bought the AMS35 Cno?

The thread did have an innocent look to it, but with me, it's never as simple as that. >)

The challenge that I had, was to comfortably beat my AVR600, which proved more difficult than I thought.

The amps that I tried were:

MF M6i
Coda CSi
Moon i7
Arcam P777

The only one that comfortably gave me what I was looking for, was the 35i. The P777 was better than the AVR600, but not enough for me to spend the money. As for the rest, I preferred the Arcam with the MF being way in front.

I would advise anyone, who is in the market at, or around this level, to give it a listen. Adjectives like forward, warm, detailed, bright, dull, lean and neutral become irrelevant, just as they would if you were asked to describe an orchestral concert. This thing just sounds right, so you forget it's there, and just listen to the music.

For me it was like a drug; I returned it after the initial home demo, as it was more than I could justify spending......but for the following 8 months, I missed it every single time I put on a peace of music; so when the dealer made me a great offer, my will-power melted like the snow off the side of a mountain.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:

No fixed ideas yet about budget/type/brand of speakers--it's a 5 year plan, right? ;)
Every enthusiast has a scheme brewing (even at a subconscious level), it's just if you say it aloud (or even think it), it might just cost you money. :)

I've got no plan......I've got no plan.....I've got no plan....I've just bought some Harbeths. >)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
CnoEvil said:
Helmut80 said:
What's your opinion on PMC speakers Cno?

I think they are a clean and lively sounding, well designed "professional monitor", that aren't too analytical for domestic use. Since they are TL, they are a home friendly design, without compromising the bass. It sounds like they have raised the bar with the new Twenty Series. I think they make a great match with slightly warmer sounding amps like Arcam, MF and Sugden.

What's TL? I have listened to the PMC range up to PB1is because they have a rep for good bass and easy(ish) placement due to being front ported, but I have always found something missing. Not quite warm, cosy and lush enough for my tastes maybe. After that video I posted above, I'd now like to hear a pair on the end of a pure class A amp though.

The term TL stands for transmission line or in the case of PMC speakers it is ATL or advanced transmission line .

See .

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/company/technology.php

The something missing you speak of might be lack of bass distortion :)

Try some PMC speakers with Electrocompaniet amplifiers , there is a special synergy between the two IMO and as you can see from my signature I have a lot of experience of the pairing :grin: .

I have no plans to change anything in my system in the next five years because it sounds amazing and unless I win the lottery I doubt I could afford anything significantly better.

But If you were to twist my arm up my back I might admit I have had thoughts of swapping my AW120 stereo power amp for a pair of AW400 monoblocks ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Interesting thread . . . thinking about where I will be in 5 years? As a fairly unambitious individual these days, I suspect nothing much will change? Looking back, I have had my toe in the refined world of high end hifi and enjoyed it. Twenty years on, with only 12 months of modern hifi experience, its been a bit of a blast for me. Talk about a steep learning curve . . . mm :? more like learning how to walk again?

The original goal was achieving a similar listening experience as 25 years ago, that I have done as close as I can 'remember' . . . moving onto what? I have a sound I enjoy, its musical and organic, makes the hairs on my neck stand up on occasions, my biggest concern is replacing the speakers if and when they expire?

I suppose, if I was to be honest, I might like to have a listen to some 'better?' speaker cables, but would they be just different to my much loved and very old K20 cable? I doubt it is worth looking at a better TT, my P5 is modded up, sports a very fancy cartridge and I dont think my modest LP collection warrants the expenditure. Thats a work in progress, 5 years may see a considerable increase in the vinyl and CD collection . . . ?

A bit down beat . . . So onwards and upwards, to improve on my computer listening is a desire. Digital is so much better these days, problem is, my total lack of understanding of computer systems. However I do enjoy a simple Spotify connection, via my HRT DAC, yes thats it, in less than 5 years a small wireless computer on my coffee table that I can flit about on Spotify, listen to and watch iPlayer . . . I did say I was not ambitious.

CJSF

CJ my friend, in five years time, you will still be drinking Horlicks, tweeking your TT and scratching your head over digital streaming/NASs/Dacs...while your long suffering Hazel supports and encourages. ;)

I think you should try some Telurium Q Blue cables....you just might be surprised. The rest of your system is balanced and musical.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
One day I'll upgrade my Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's to something better, but I'm happy with my system for a few years to come.

A

Anonymous

in 5 years time speakers and hi fi will be flying around the room :)

but in all seriousness i wouldnt mind a projector, optoma seem to be pretty good but hey, if i leave uni and get an amazing job whos to say i wont have something from sim2 :)

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
I've thought about this some more with a fresher head this morning. I think the key word for me is going to be simplicity. I want to end up with a system which keeps me absolutely wrapped up in the music, is built to last, and offers all the functionality I need without becoming over complicated or box heavy. I think streaming could become a much bigger part of my listening in order to achieve this and that (given my need for gapless playback support) the Squeezebox Touch is going to be ideal, particularly as I like the user interface of the SB products.

Maybe I got slightly carried away with what I'm likely to be able to afford when I responded last night. I can be a bit of a dreamer sometimes! I suspect the Sugden Mystro may well be the very top of what I can afford price-wise for an amp in the next 5 years, and I also think I'd be very happy with it - I've heard it a few times and I'm always impressed with it's superb musicality. Of course, I'd probably have to compare it to whatever amps Creek has at the time, as I'm a big fan of Michael Creek's designs.

Of course, any change would have to be a significant upgrade on what I've got. The Onkyo really is a brilliant amp and I think the amplification is actually the best aspect of it. With Epos M5i it sounds far more expensive than it actually is...

Vinyl always woos me with its romanticism, but I never find it such a happy long-term companion. I will have to think very carefully before I spend any more money in that direction, even on a cartridge. Maybe I've got lazy, or maybe I now find the sound quality from digital formats to be just as good and less distracting. Who knows! The complicated thinking of a hi-fi fan!

As an interested person looking in, I think you have the following problems (attributes):

- Your job means you know exactly how different pianos should sound.

- Your love and appreciation of classical music mean you probably go to concerts, and have an above average understanding of the passion behind the music and how it should sound.

- An interest in Hifi and music has meant that you have heard what inspiring kit can bring to the table, as well as how difficult it is, to even approximate the realism and emotion of the real thing......on a budget!

Now getting into the realms of speculation, I think you have a battle going on between the head and the heart. The head says that you want a good, but simple budget solution, where streaming from the likes of Spotify will do the job......but the heart rebels as it wants more....more emotion, more excitement, more realism .

This is where I get like my trouble-making brother (HearNoEvil) and say (guess) that you won't be truly satisfied/happy until the "Soul" of the music is at the very heart of the system you end up with.

IMO This is possible to do at a reasonable budget, but it means going a fair bit off piste. If I was giving advise (which I'm not - wouldn't dare to be so bold), as well as the Sugden, I would be pushing you gently towards a value amp from Audio Note (they do affordable ones), Icon Audio or Pure Sound.

The speakers that go under the radar are the AX and AZ from Audio Note, which should be on any music lovers shortlist, especially with lower powered amps, or if placement is near walls/corners. The other obvious ones are from SF.

No pressure......Just saying!!

There is certainly some truth to what you say, although I would never even consider depending entirely on Spotify. I only use it for checking new music out before I buy it. When I stream it is lossless as a minimum - either FLAC or ALAC - and nearly always ripped from the CD, although some of the higher quality downloads are starting to look interesting.

'Soul' is certainly what it is all about for me Cno. I have thought about Icon or Pure Sound valve amps a few times and a system based on digital sources and valve amplification with sensitive speakers is certainly attractive. One of these days I will go and have a listen to the Icon Audio stuff and/or the Pure Sound A10, although my understanding is that you have to go a good way up the valve amp ladder to get something capable of resolving the large scale works and this would be a major concern for me. In many ways I still suspect a 'musical' sounding transistor amp is a better fit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
The term TL stands for transmission line or in the case of PMC speakers it is ATL or advanced transmission line .

See .

Try some PMC speakers with Electrocompaniet amplifiers , there is a special synergy between the two IMO and as you can see from my signature I have a lot of experience of the pairing :grin: .

I have no plans to change anything in my system in the next five years because it sounds amazing and unless I win the lottery I doubt I could afford anything significantly better.

But If you were to twist my arm up my back I might admit I have had thoughts of swapping my AW120 stereo power amp for a pair of AW400 monoblocks ;)

Electro, you are so right about what a high current amp (with a good source) does for a speaker. Well controlled bass can seem less, until it's properly woken up.

BTW I am twisting your arm.....and anything can happen in 5 years. 8)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
I've got no plan......I've got no plan.....I've got no plan....I've just bought some Harbeths. >)

Really?

If so. Which ones?

I was gently "taking the Michael" out of Paradiziac; and also in general, commenting on what can happen to ones' resolve in this crazy hobby.....just look at what happened Steve750 and his Arcam A38.

BTW Are you maintaing the status quo, or are there any additions planned over the next few years?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mpapo said:
One day I'll upgrade my Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's to something better, but I'm happy with my system for a few years to come.

This is a terrible place to be if you wish to hold your resolve. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chris88 said:
in 5 years time speakers and hi fi will be flying around the room :)

but in all seriousness i wouldnt mind a projector, optoma seem to be pretty good but hey, if i leave uni and get an amazing job whos to say i wont have something from sim2 :)

If your going to aim high, you might as well aim for the best! :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:

Really?

If so. Which ones?

I was gently "taking the Michael" out of Paradiziac; and also in general, commenting on what can happen to ones' resolve in this crazy hobby.....just look at what happened Steve750 and his Arcam A38. BTW Are you maintaing the status quo, or are there any additions planned over the next few years?

No plans right now.

I might get a Humax HDR Fox T2..PVR-mabob soon (reluctantly because Panasonic can't - or won't - make a Blu-Ray/Freeview HD/HDD recorder with iPlayer) but that's not much fun.

I might upgrade our old iMac for a new iMac but that idea bores me rigid too.

My audio is sorted for a long time to come.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
paradiziac said:

Every enthusiast has a scheme brewing (even at a subconscious level), it's just if you say it aloud (or even think it), it might just cost you money. :)

Precisely why I'm keeping stumm. ;)

CnoEvil said:

Been there, done that. :twisted:

Luckily moved them on for just beer money less than what I paid.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
'Soul' is certainly what it is all about for me Cno. I have thought about Icon or Pure Sound valve amps a few times and a system based on digital sources and valve amplification with sensitive speakers is certainly attractive. One of these days I will go and have a listen to the Icon Audio stuff and/or the Pure Sound A10, although my understanding is that you have to go a good way up the valve amp ladder to get something capable of resolving the large scale works and this would be a major concern for me. In many ways I still suspect a 'musical' sounding transistor amp is a better fit.

I'm delighted this is at the back of your mind as a possibility. For example, the Pure Sound A30 comes up from time to time as ex-dem, for half sensible money and is excellent:
http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:mode=product&product=7516644 (they are always open to negotiation. :) )

There were also some Audio Note AZ-1s available for £500 (from £800), if you know who to ask. So it can be done.

Just saying. :shifty:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
No plans right now.

I might get a Humax HDR Fox T2..PVR-mabob soon (reluctantly because Panasonic can't - or won't - make a Blu-Ray/Freeview HD/HDD recorder with iPlayer) but that's not much fun.

I might upgrade our old iMac for a new iMac but that idea bores me rigid too.

You may well be right, but I will be watching this space with interest.....I suspect any change will result from some effective new-fangled tech, that catches your eye.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
No plans to change my source.

No plans to change my speakers.

The only thing I might change in the next few years is the amplification.

Something on the lines of Pathos Logos or Raysonic valve amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:

You may well be right, but I will be watching this space with interest.....I suspect any change will result from some effective new-fangled tech, that catches your eye.

Given that my most used 'source' is still BBC Radio on FM then I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the rest of the 'new-fangled' stuff, I am more than happy with TuneIn Radio Pro, iPlayer and iTunes all controlled via/from my iPhone.

I have no wish to dabble in FLAC/WAV/NAS/Twonky/Twinky or any other labour intensive nightmares that I see people grappling with on other threads. I buy a CD. I rip a CD (Apple Lossless on iTunes) then I store the CD. Sometimes - during the occasional mad moment - I just play the CD!

An optical cable to my BDP-S370 gets me sound from DVDs, BDs and iPlayer.

What else is there? Oh yes, turntables. Done that. Managed to resist the last urge. Getting easier to resist each time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I have no wish to dabble in FLAC/WAV/NAS/Twonky/Twinky or any other labour intensive nightmares that I see people grappling with on other threads. I buy a CD. I rip a CD (Apple Lossless on iTunes) then I store the CD. Sometimes - during the occasional mad moment - I just play the CD!

An optical cable to my BDP-S370 gets me sound from DVDs, BDs and iPlayer.

What else is there? Oh yes, turntables. Done that. Managed to resist the last urge. Getting easier to resist each time.

I wasn't really referring to any known solution, but something that may (or may not), come along in the next 5 years....at the current pace of change, it's more than just a remote possibility.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:

:rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

Cno

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Helmut80 said:
CnoEvil said:
Helmut80 said:
What's your opinion on PMC speakers Cno?

I think they are a clean and lively sounding, well designed "professional monitor", that aren't too analytical for domestic use. Since they are TL, they are a home friendly design, without compromising the bass. It sounds like they have raised the bar with the new Twenty Series. I think they make a great match with slightly warmer sounding amps like Arcam, MF and Sugden.

What's TL? I have listened to the PMC range up to PB1is because they have a rep for good bass and easy(ish) placement due to being front ported, but I have always found something missing. Not quite warm, cosy and lush enough for my tastes maybe. After that video I posted above, I'd now like to hear a pair on the end of a pure class A amp though.

See .

Thanks for the explanation. Ooh, I am intrigued by your system!

CnoEvil said:
FennerMachine said:

:rockout: :rockout: :rockout: Cno

Amplifier is a deffo keeper. There's only two exceptions: Either the amp blows up or I become rich, if the latter I'll probably go with the Tucana, otherwise the Pulse all the way. Other than that mainly tweaks.

Possibles: Change speakers to gawd know what at the moment. And perhaps upgrade the source at some point, probably to a CD192 or Exposure 3010S (both s/hand).

At the moment bunny content.:cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts