5 Year Plan (Plot)?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
David, thank you for a quick snapshot into the mind of "the keeper of the sweetshop".

Given the quality of the Blades, there is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders to do them justice...Always one to have an opinion, I have a suggestion from "left field," that you also might like to consider (if you haven't already):

VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre + VTL MB 450 Series 111 Mono Block Power Amps

Its hard to fully describe the sound of this pair, maybe the love-child of a Bryston and a Classe. The power, impact and realism was one of the first things that struck me, when I first heard them (powering Focal Utopia Mystros). They certainly don't sound like a typical valve amp, nor do they sound like a SS one.

I must be crazy recommending something to a dealer......but that's me!

I'm sure there's plenty out there that I'd like, and probably for different reasons. I will probably end up sticking to a company I know - that way, I know the product, know their history, and I know I'll be looked after should anything go wrong :)

Of course, if something comes along and blows me away - and by that, I mean something that makes me think that Bryston isn't "all that", then I may well be tempted :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Hmm, more a reflection of my impatient impulsive nature than any logical excursion up a one way street.

I hope you know me well enough by now, to know that I was neither being judgemental nor critical.....on the contrary, I have serious empathy, as I've been there and done that.
HiFi + Impulsiveness are a potent mix.

Generally I've found it is much easier to be rational when dealing with someone else's conundrum, as the emotion and the impulsiveness don't exist to the same extent...only a wish to be of help (if poss).

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Responded at the weekend to this very good post and it got he grey matter going and after a drunken discussion with a like minded soul ( with contributions from my neighbours when the volume control went a bit high......oops !!) we have both decided we are going to bite the digital bullet to get some living space back from ever growing collections of hard and software.

I am going to look at a NAS drive , whatever it actually is I am not sure and will post asking for pointers, to rip and store cd's and thereby remove 3 storage cabinets from my living room.

Instead of looking for a DAC as I said before I am having a dem of the MF M1 Clic that seems an interesting well thought out product and is also the size of a small shoe box.As I am streaming, maybe even downloading,more and more I think this is where my future might lie.

This will probably take a year to take shape and gives me plenty to look at and my friend said his wife would certainly give it her blessing as his collection is far greater than mine and she would love to have a lot more useable living space and he can justify any equipment expenditure on 'buying' the space back in his house.

As I said before good thread got me thinking after a while in a very different direction from my first response, i hope this is a good thing,at worst i will just have 2 collections and two extra boxes, i hope to change my living environment which will help out my room accoustics no end, wins all round, thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Responded at the weekend to this very good post and it got he grey matter going and after a drunken discussion with a like minded soul ( with contributions from my neighbours when the volume control went a bit high......oops !!) we have both decided we are going to bite the digital bullet to get some living space back from ever growing collections of hard and software. I am going to look at a NAS drive , whatever it actually is I am not sure and will post asking for pointers, to rip and store cd's and thereby remove 3 storage cabinets from my living room. Instead of looking for a DAC as I said before I am having a dem of the MF M1 Clic that seems an interesting well thought out product and is also the size of a small shoe box.As I am streaming, maybe even downloading,more and more I think this is where my future might lie. This will probably take a year to take shape and gives me plenty to look at and my friend said his wife would certainly give it her blessing as his collection is far greater than mine and she would love to have a lot more useable living space and he can justify any equipment expenditure on 'buying' the space back in his house. As I said before good thread got me thinking after a while in a very different direction from my first response, i hope this is a good thing,at worst i will just have 2 collections and two extra boxes, i hope to change my living environment which will help out my room accoustics no end, wins all round, thanks.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, you should also have a Linn Sneaky on your radar. :)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Responded at the weekend to this very good post and it got he grey matter going and after a drunken discussion with a like minded soul ( with contributions from my neighbours when the volume control went a bit high......oops !!) we have both decided we are going to bite the digital bullet to get some living space back from ever growing collections of hard and software. I am going to look at a NAS drive , whatever it actually is I am not sure and will post asking for pointers, to rip and store cd's and thereby remove 3 storage cabinets from my living room. Instead of looking for a DAC as I said before I am having a dem of the MF M1 Clic that seems an interesting well thought out product and is also the size of a small shoe box.As I am streaming, maybe even downloading,more and more I think this is where my future might lie. This will probably take a year to take shape and gives me plenty to look at and my friend said his wife would certainly give it her blessing as his collection is far greater than mine and she would love to have a lot more useable living space and he can justify any equipment expenditure on 'buying' the space back in his house. As I said before good thread got me thinking after a while in a very different direction from my first response, i hope this is a good thing,at worst i will just have 2 collections and two extra boxes, i hope to change my living environment which will help out my room accoustics no end, wins all round, thanks.

Maybe add the M1 PWR power amplifier to go with the M1 CliC to get a matching system?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

I have seen you sneaking in that Linn suggestion before, now it is on the radar I will have to give it a look and see what it is and what it does.

I am right at the start on this so really need to get my head around all this , already getting good advice, well a bit confusing at the moment, on NAS drivers so a long learning curve to go, but thanks again.

I spotted the power amps yesterday which I was not aware of, I would have to leave those dangerous thoughts behind me until I get the front end sorted but thanks for the tip.

Has anyone heard these yet, just curious, that's all.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
Hmm, more a reflection of my impatient impulsive nature than any logical excursion up a one way street.

I hope you know me well enough by now, to know that I was neither being judgemental nor critical.....on the contrary, I have serious empathy, as I've been there and done that. HiFi + Impulsiveness are a potent mix. Generally I've found it is much easier to be rational when dealing with someone else's conundrum, as the emotion and the impulsiveness don't exist to the same extent...only a wish to be of help (if poss).

Ddn't even cross my mind, I was grinning a little when I wrote it, in a sort of comedic navel contemplation!

@Shanka

If you get a sneaky I'll be really really keen to hear your thoughts, how it works with the M2 and ProAcs! You know you want to, and I'm sure without any prompting Cno can provide suitable links... :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts