5 Year Plan (Plot)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Ha ha!! Now you're challenging me Cno!

I think I will try another cartridge in the not too distant future. I'm not sure what to go for though. I've heard a lot of positive things about the Denon DL110 but I've tended to like the sound of Grado carts in the past so I need to do some more research. I think the Elys 2 is pretty good, but I suspect I might enjoy my vinyl more with a better cart. That might also require a better phono stage - the 540P is better than the Onkyo's built-in stage but it is still only a budget one at the end of the day.

The Sugden Mystro would certainly be an option as would a used or ex-demo A21. I also like the T+A stuff I've heard and will certainly look into the Power Plant Balanced as another option when the time comes. Whichever of these I eventually end up with will be considered a final purchase in my eyes - something to keep until it breaks.

Speaker-wise I am wedded to the idea of M5i for the forseeable future as I've heard them sound stunning with the Onkyo and they've got plenty to give with further upgrades but, ultimately, there may be one final big upgrade depending on amplification. I'd love some Vienna Acoustics Haydns but I'm also very interested in the Spendor range. I'll stick to standmounts. Regarding the KEF R series I'd have to listen to them again.

The DAC is something I've not given huge thought too. I suppose it really depends on the rest of the system, but I would think something like the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC might suit well.

Do you expect any less of me!

It's amazing what you find out when you probe an audiophiles mind.....it's almost never straight forward.

As you can see, I'm looking for the hidden agenda......there's some nice kit kicking around that head of yours.

I'd forgotten you'd heard the R series.....what were they on the end of and what was your initial impression?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Good thread Cno :)

I have a lot of plans, the main ones being a projector for AV and actives for stereo. Unfortunately I suspect finances will mean I won't realise these plans in the next five years, having spent a lot in the last few. Realistically, some rears to have a 5.1 setup, more Sonos around the house and into the AV system, and some room treatment and maybe a DAC for the stereo.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just sold off my TT Gear
wave.gif
.. got tempted about the vinyl movement an year back or so but realized that I am too lazy to change the records! Honestly with my Roksan + Nima + Benz Gold + Heed pre-amp, I should have experienced the magic of TT but it did not happen and I am glad to stay a muggle ;)
grin.gif

I always liked the live energetic sound of a Stadium / Concert / live show / nice pub.. Slowly, I will be moving in the direction of three way actives and so on. Also, hopefully my future system will be totally uncolored but with a knob I might be able to color it to my mood on a given day
pray.gif
!

May be I will fully learn / aware the overhype of some brands (
naughty.gif
) and hope to achieve a sense of navigation & understanding beyond the marketing gimmics in the data overload (
help.gif
) that gets processed by my brain on daily basis from internet.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A valve amplifier will hopefully feature in the near future ... which will be coupled with a NPS2000 network player. If the valve amplifier plan falls though, then plan B is to get the matching AS2000 amp.

I don't foresee a future which sees me ever returning to vinyl ... my turntable is now sold on ... but I think I can get the same "organic" qualities with less faff with the above setup.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
A valve amplifier will hopefully feature in the near future ... which will be coupled with a NPS2000 network player. If the valve amplifier plan falls though, then plan B is to get the matching AS2000 amp.

Well......... :quest:

I see a glowing future for you, young man.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

I have a lot of plans, the main ones being a projector for AV and actives for stereo. Unfortunately I suspect finances will mean I won't realise these plans in the next five years, having spent a lot in the last few. Realistically, some rears to have a 5.1 setup, more Sonos around the house and into the AV system, and some room treatment and maybe a DAC for the stereo.

What will take priority, if done in stages........the projector?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A warm and rosy glow ... ;)

An SET with not too may tubes mind ... they cost and arm and a leg to replace ...

Hope my speakers will be up to it ... they are 89/90dB ... should be OK since I keep the volume lowish.

matthewpiano

Cno - I only heard the R series at Manchester last year on the end of some Electrocompaniet gear. Very impressive but I'm concerned they might not be as controlled sounding as I'd like - I got the impression the standmounters have been engineered to give much bigger bass performance than I would actually want.

Of course, everything depends on funds. I am thoroughly enjoying my music for the first time in ages so I'm happy to ride on that for the forseeable future. Certainly I won't be making any more sideways moves in the future and will only change something if I can afford to make a big upgrade and buy a component I'd be happy to keep for several years at least. I'm absolutely done with the constant box swapping and messing around.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
Just sold off my TT Gear
wave.gif
.. got tempted about the vinyl movement an year back or so but realized that I am too lazy to change the records! Honestly with my Roksan + Nima + Benz Gold + Heed pre-amp, I should have experienced the magic of TT but it did not happen and I am glad to stay a muggle ;)
grin.gif

I always liked the live energetic sound of a Stadium / Concert / live show / nice pub.. Slowly, I will be moving in the direction of three way actives and so on. Also, hopefully my future system will be totally uncolored but with a knob I might be able to color it to my mood on a given day
pray.gif
!

May be I will fully learn / aware the overhype of some brands (
naughty.gif
) and hope to achieve a sense of navigation & understanding beyond the marketing gimmics in the data overload (
help.gif
) that gets processed by my brain on daily basis from internet.

Wishtree, my friend, you are like a backwards audiophile......start off with a gorgeous system and then gradually sell it all off......you're killing me, you know that! :cry:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:

What will take priority, if done in stages........the projector?

Hmmm, now you're asking! Not really thought about it as I haven't had to make the choice yet! Price wise it might work out fairly similar, as I could sell my speakers and power amp to change to actives. And as much as these things can be quantified I think the jump from Primare->SCM40s to ATC actives would be fairly similar to the jump from 42" Kuro to PJ.

If I had the money to do one tomorrow it would be the PJ, just because I haven't had long enough to enjoy my passive stereo yet. In five years time, I really don't know :?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Cno said:
Well.........
quest.png

I see a glowing future for you, young man.

A warm and rosy glow ... ;)

An SET amp with not too may tubes mind ... they cost and arm and a leg to replace ...

I think I might have found the amplifier (ex-dem), but I'm keeping quiet about it for the moment.

Hope my speakers will be up to it ... they are 89/90dB ... should be OK since I keep the volume lowish.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
How does surround sound work with actives ie. what does the processing?......I'm not familiar with this area, but it sounds fun.

The best way is to use a receiver that has 'pre-outs'. You use the receiver to do any processing and the D/A conversion. Then the unamplifed signal is sent from the receivers pre-out sockets to the active speakers.

The method that I intend to use is by setting my PC's sound card to output 4.0 surround sound (four speakers and no subwoofer). I will then use this signal into the analogue stereo inputs on the two 2.1 systems and allow the AVI's built in electronics to adjust the subwoofer crossovers. This should work fine when playing games and then I'll just switch back to the optical output to get the best quality when listening to music

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
How does surround sound work with actives ie. what does the processing?......I'm not familiar with this area, but it sounds fun.

The best way is to use a receiver that has 'pre-outs'. You use the receiver to do any processing and the D/A conversion. Then the unamplifed signal is sent from the receivers pre-out sockets to the active speakers.

The method that I intend to use is by setting my PC's sound card to output 4.0 surround sound (four speakers and no subwoofer). I will then use this signal into the analogue stereo inputs on the two 2.1 systems and allow the AVI's built in electronics to adjust the subs crossover. This should work fine when playing games and then I'll just switch back to the optical output to get the best quality when listening to music

:cheers:

Cno

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
:cheers: Cno

:cheers:

It does seems odd to buy an AV receiver just to use it's processing options and DAC's without using any of it's built in power amplifiers. It's still the cheapest option though. Something like the Yamaha RX-V667 would do the job for about £200 secondhand.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
I see myself getting

1. the M6 PRX power amp to biamp my D18s

2. One of those Zodiac Antelope DAC

3. Siltech speaker cable

Have you heard an AMS 35i? >)
.....it's very hard to come back from!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Room treatment

Build 2 DIY subs using 18" Tc sounds LMS 5400 drive units, powered by Funk audio 2.4kw plate amps.

Have ATC build me a pair of scm150 cabinets to install the drivers and amps from my ATC PA-65's into

:grin:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
El Hefe said:
I see myself getting

1. the M6 PRX power amp to biamp my D18s

2. One of those Zodiac Antelope DAC

3. Siltech speaker cable

Have you heard an AMS 35i? >) .....it's very hard to come back from!

CNoEvil...you evil you...play nice... AMS35i is a dream....M6 PRX is a plan..unless I hit a lottery along the way....:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Room treatment

Build 2 DIY subs using 18" Tc sounds LMS 5400 drive units, powered by Funk audio 2.4kw plate amps.

Have ATC build me a pair of scm150 cabinets to install the drivers and amps from my ATC PA-65's into

:grin:

It's good to see you're living up to your name! :grin:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
now only a few bits and pieces (I'm very happy with my gear :)):

~ within a few coming months I'm upgrading XO in my Maggies and also I'll replace the stands (if everything goes as planed). in case you wondered why, I want them standing straight, not tilted.

~ maybe finally getting some nice XLR cables for the CDP. I think I'll stick with Atlas. but I'll not be reaching beyond Hyper. no point in that. still, not precisely dirt cheap.

~ upgrading the cart. I like my Grado Gold so could consider something low output higher up the ladder. but if I get the same ground loop hum as I do now I'll thank Grado definitely (still need to investigate this issue with Grado). as alternative I'd like to go low output MC route. Benz-Micro Ace waits in the front row for now.

~ I'm keeping the TT as it is (except the cart obviously). I love the look of Giro. besides I think its performance is more than I could ask for anyway. no need to upgrade the deck. however, if it turns out that vinyl is a major part of my music-lover life (5 years time is enough to evaluate IMO) I'll try to upgrade the tone arm to a tangential. Clearaudio TT3 or Eminent Technology tonearm are main contenders for now. I doubt there will be others though :).

~ should be getting a balanced mains transformer too.

there are two more things I'd love to upgrade to. but it's not going to easy financially and more likely than not will take more than just 5 years to accomplish:

~ upgrading amp to Inpol2.

~ upgrading speakers to Analysis Audio. Omegas or maybe even Amphytrions if finances and future listening room size allows. now I know I want to keep it planar/ ribbon.

and it will be the end of the road for me...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
now only a few bits and pieces (I'm very happy with my gear :)):

~ within a few coming months I'm upgrading XO in my Maggies and also I'll replace the stands (if everything goes as planed). in case you wondered why, I want them standing straight, not tilted.

~ maybe finally getting some nice XLR cables for the CDP. I think I'll stick with Atlas. but I'll not be reaching beyond Hyper. no point in that. still, not precisely dirt cheap.

~ upgrading the cart. I like my Grado Gold so could consider something low output higher up the ladder. but if I get the same ground loop hum as I do now I'll thank Grado definitely (still need to investigate this issue with Grado). as alternative I'd like to go low output MC route. Benz-Micro Ace waits in the front row for now.

~ I'm keeping the TT as it is (except the cart obviously). I love the look of Giro. besides I think its performance is more than I could ask for anyway. no need to upgrade the deck. however, if it turns out that vinyl is a major part of my music-lover life (5 years time is enough to evaluate IMO) I'll try to upgrade the tone arm to a tangential. Clearaudio TT3 or Eminent Technology tonearm are main contenders for now. I doubt there will be others though :).

~ should be getting a balanced mains transformer too.

there are two more things I'd love to upgrade to. but it's not going to easy financially and more likely than not will take more than just 5 years to accomplish:

~ upgrading amp to Inpol2.

~ upgrading speakers to Analysis Audio. Omegas or maybe even Amphytrions if finances and future listening room size allows. now I know I want to keep it planar/ ribbon.

and it will be the end of the road for me...

Now that's what I call a plan.......I think you will end up with a most interesting and unusual system. 8).

If you are having a christening ceremony, count me in. ;)

TRENDING THREADS