2.1 system advise

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

i,m looking at buying a 2.1 cinema system. I have read the mags and trawled the net and am still stumped. Yesterday I listened to the Bose Cinemate GS and was not overwhelmed but it was ok. I,m sure there is something better out there for the money. I don't mind adding a centre speaker at a later date but I do not want rears. I currently have a Panasonic tv and bluray.

Any advise appreciated

Steve

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Guys! Someone must have some knowledge on this! I have also looked at tannoy hts101 and Cambridge minx S212 but not sure which amp? Yam373 or 473? Or maybe Sony 1030, onkyo 515... I could leave off the rears until I persuade the wife otherwise.

would these be an improvement over the bose I looked at?

Regards Steve

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Harpo said:
Hi Harpo do you have any hifi equipment if so you could intergrate hifi with tv and save some money or you could try to bribe her in doors to let you have a full blown av system I must warn you this could work out very very expensive take it from me I know:rofl: :rofl:

moreseric

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Harpo said:
Hi everyone,

i,m looking at buying a 2.1 cinema system. I have read the mags and trawled the net and am still stumped. Yesterday I listened to the Bose Cinemate GS and was not overwhelmed but it was ok. I,m sure there is something better out there for the money. I don't mind adding a centre speaker at a later date but I do not want rears. I currently have a Panasonic tv and bluray.

Any advise appreciated

Steve

I thing that BOSE Cinemate is quite good. Quailty of "surround" sound highly dependent on the room. You need to have walls on sides.

If you don't like it, try Yamaha soundbar.

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply...I do have some old hi fi equipment being a marantz CD player, musical fidelity amp and a pair of mission 751se speakers with atacama stands, all packed away in the spare room as she thinks the speakers and stands are too big lol. Thus I,m looking for something a little smaller but a decent sound. The reason for not wanting rears is the wife dislikes surround sounds it drives her mad!

Can you turn off rears on a av amp?

Regards

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep. You can turn off the rears with an AV amp. You can usually set it up as 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1 etc. etc. depending on what speakers you have available to plug in. So if you get a sub you could use the speakers you already have (or buy some fancy looking ones which may not sound as good!) and set it up as a 2.1 system. You could later add a centre speaker and change to a 3.1 system if you did so wish.

Welcome to the world of AV vs wife! It's a tricky line to walk and in my experience wife usually wins!

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for the advise... Big questions are? If I was to use the speakers I have what amp and sub? Or if I was to by new as suggested above which would you buy? Sorry for all these questions but I,m ready to buy and don't want to make an expensive wrong choice.

regards Steve

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Harpo said:
Cheers for the advise... Big questions are? If I was to use the speakers I have what amp and sub? Or if I was to by new as suggested above which would you buy? Sorry for all these questions but I,m ready to buy and don't want to make an expensive wrong choice.

regards Steve
To be honest i would set up your hifi and run your tv through it and see how it sounds you may find that it will be fine for both music and av I used to run my old 752s for av in my dinning room to great effect did you consider a bribe or was it going to be to expensive :)

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was just going to suggest plugging the hifi amp and speakers in because you have them and it's free. This leaves more money for bribes (ask me what to go for if you need any advice on that front- I have tonnes of experience and suggestions!)

If you don't like the sound of what you've then get back on here and I'm sure you'll get plenty of pointers for what could be improved depending on your feedback.

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Ok I will dig out the old hi fi and give it a go. Although I don't think she will approve because the size of speakers/stands etc. is the reason it's not set up for playing music!

I will let you know how I get on!

Steve

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Harpo said:
Ok I will dig out the old hi fi and give it a go. Although I don't think she will approve because the size of speakers/stands etc. is the reason it's not set up for playing music!

I will let you know how I get on!

Steve
Whats wrong with the mf sounds to me like as good a place to start as any :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts