laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Do you mean 2011?

Still 3 days left of this year yet....
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

OK:

1) Lots of TVs will be sold to beat the VAT rise.
2) Most of them won't be very good.
3) Most of them will be too big for the room.
4) Most of them will be used to watch SD content and be a disappointment to their owners.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Plasma still looks better than LCD etc, so I don't think they'll disappear.

Larger sets are already on the rise, and have been for a while now. Pioneer's 60" sets sold at least as well as their 50" sets, at least they did in our store. We couldn't get enough 60" sets to fulfill orders, and we now can't get enough 65" sets to fulfil orders. And that's just Panasonic. I'm sure the likes of Samsung and LG will have 60"+ sets at very cheap prices - they'll flood the market because when people buy TV's, they tend to buy the biggest they can get, regardless as to whether they're too big or not. And to be honest, for 3D to be effective, people will need the biggest set they can get anyway.

I'm hoping there will be a plan rolled out for 4K2K, with more products shown to the public and press than this year.

With that may come the next video format, which I still believe will be disc based - streaming 4K2K with HD audio just isn't going to become viable for a long time.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
johnb1966:
What do you think?

Here are my picks....

1. The demise of plasma with the rise and rise of LCD

2. The increase sales of > 50'' sets with the proliferation of HD

3. 3D TV sales rise but interest in watching 3D demises

John

1 - no chance. Until new tvs come that can at least come close to the pixel response times of Plasmas, that will never happen

2 - people do seem to keep buying bigger tvs, but many people do like to keep tvs around the 32" mark too

3 - I do agree with that.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:OK:1) Lots of TVs will be sold to beat the VAT rise.2) Most of them won't be very good.3) Most of them will be too big for the room.4) Most of them will be used to watch SD content and be a disappointment to their owners.

+1

and can I add, people watching 4:3 content stretched to fill their new wide-screen t.v. and then complaining about poor picture quality (or sometimes doing this and thinking it's perfectly good which is even more worrying).

A

Anonymous

Continuing the list of JohnDuncan,

6) 2011 will show that/if 21:9 is a future format, several major market players will instroduce 21:9 models, LG to be the first with a 21:9 plasma. The majority of the new programs/series/documentary will be cut and presented in 21:9.

7) The sales of TV sets above 55" will dissapoint, and manufactureres will look for other manners to provide large screen without large TV sets, especially as 3D requires big screen- lighter TV sets, thinner, with minimal frames, and the 21:9 format, wll be the ingredience to squeese larger screens into peoples homes.

As a comment to 3) - yes people will buy TV sets too big for their room and their eyes.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Stereolad:
and can I add, people watching 4:3 content stretched to fill their new wide-screen t.v. and then complaining about poor picture quality (or sometimes doing this and thinking it's perfectly good which is even more worrying).

That is probably my biggest pet hate
emotion-12.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
OK:

1) Lots of TVs will be sold to beat the VAT rise.
2) Most of them won't be very good.
3) Most of them will be too big for the room.
4) Most of them will be used to watch SD content and be a disappointment to their owners.

emotion-21.gif
Spot on John!
And a bit sad if you ask me.

Will plasma screens disappear in 2011? As already commented, no chance! Actually I believe the sales of plasma TVs increased in 2010, so quite the opposite.

And for the 21:9 format on TVs Peter, we have had this discussion many times before. I don't think this will happen. Not as long as TV programs are shot in 16:9 (or even 3:4 still some places).

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
And for the 21:9 format on TVs Peter, we have had this discussion many times before. I don't think this will happen. Not as long as TV programs are shot in 16:10 (or even 3:4 still some places).

So you mean when a subject has been discussed before - no need to discuss it any more ?

- your argumentation is wrong - look around - programs in aspect ratio of 16:9 are cut to 21:9, and broadcasted as 21:9 aspect ratio. It has nothing to do with the original aspect ratio the source was shot in.

Its everywhere - most easy way to check, is to look at one of the music channels.

It seems like many directors now prefere to shoot in 16:9 HD and cut to 21:9 aspect ratio. To make it look more modern, or perhaps cause they want their work to be prepared for the future ?

A

Anonymous

TKratz:maxflinn:happy new year tkratz
emotion-21.gif

You too Max
emotion-1.gif
maybe in 2011 the v30 will be crowned king
emotion-4.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
PeterHerz:

So you mean when a subject has been discussed before - no need to discuss it any more ?

No, didn't say that. Just think it will be all the same arguments once again.

PeterHerz:

- your argumentation is wrong - look around - programs in aspect ratio of 16:9 are cut to 21:9, and broadcasted as 21:9 aspect ratio. It has nothing to do with the original aspect ratio the source was shot in.

Its everywhere - most easy way to check, is to look at one of the music channels.

Huh? I must have missed those channels...

PeterHerz:

It seems like many directors now prefere to shoot in 16:9 HD and cut to 21:9 aspect ratio. To make it look more modern, or perhaps cause they want their work to be prepared for the future ?

Well, that doesn't make any sense. Why shoot in 16:9 if you intend to display in 21:9?
It would furthermore be nice to have a reference for a statement like that...

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:TKratz:maxflinn:happy new year tkratz
emotion-21.gif

You too Max
emotion-1.gif
emotion-4.gif

Max, don't forget that the V20 actually got a 2010 award
emotion-1.gif

But as always it will be interesting to see next years models!

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
emotion-21.gif

You too Max
emotion-1.gif
emotion-4.gif

emotion-1.gif

i don't care to be honest, if everything goes to plan i'll have a kuro by febuary
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:TKratz:

emotion-21.gif

You too Max
emotion-1.gif
emotion-4.gif

emotion-1.gif

i don't care to be honest, if everything goes to plan i'll have a kuro by febuary
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif
emotion-19.gif

Wise choice Max!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts