Yamaha YSP-2200 connections question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've got a question that I'm sure someone will know the answer to instantly. Hope so anyway.

I've had a browse around the forum, and this post:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/yamaha-ysp-2200-hdmi-question

covers some of the same ground, but I'd appreciate a categorical yes or no.

Here's the setup I've got right now:

Panasonic LCD TV with 3 HDMI inputs

Shuttle Media PC

Humax Freesat box

The Shuttle and the Humax are linked via HDMI, and the sound comes out of the TV speakers.

I want better audio (obviously) and I've settled on the YSP-2200 as the means to deliver it.

I've had a look at the manuals for both my TV and the sound-bar, but I'm not 100% confident
that I've got the concepts right.

I'm contemplating linking the Shuttle and the Humax to the HDMI inputs on the YSP-2200, and then
linking the HDMI-out (ARC) port of the YSP-2200 to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV.

Essentially, that's 2 audio and video sources into the soundbar, but just video from the soundbar to
the telly.

Is this going to work ?

Thanx in advance

A

Anonymous

Guess the question was too hard for the "experts" on here

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes that sthe correct way, the sound will be taken to the soundbar, though i do not know enough about this soundbar but i would assume it upscales the connection to 1080p at this price. That would give you the option what equipment you want to use to upscale the picture quality, you my find the soundbar does a better job than your humax or shuttle

A

Anonymous

Thanx for the reply, appreciated.

I've got the unit now, I've been cabling it up this afternoon - unsuccessfully, so far

The Yamaha manual shows audio and video streams going into the YSP-2200, and just the video going out to the TV's ARC HDMI port.

My telly does NOT have an HDMI port configured as an ARC port.

Are HDMI connections bi-directional (i.e. audio and video can both flow in either direction) ?

If I have to run the standard yellow video cable to the TV, doesn't that bollox the HDCP verification ?

I'm a little more confused now ...

A

Anonymous

Got it working now.

Freesat box, and media PC connected via HDMI to the telly (as before).

Optical connection between telly and soundbar.

Just select "TV" as the input audio source on the soundbar remote, and you're good to go.

Sounds pretty good so far.

Need a longer (than supplied) optical cable to put the unit where it needs to ultimately go, but it'll do for now

A

Anonymous

Now working better.

Contacted Yamaha product support.

In spite of the manual being a bit ambiguous, HDMI throughout is perfectly feasible.

So, HDMI inputs (from MediaPC and FreeSat box) into soundbar inputs, then HDMI out from soundbar ARC port

into one of the TV's HDMI inputs.

No other data/signal cables required to get the kit communicating.

Works a treat, sounds great as well.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Just got my Yamaha 2200, and endeavouring to link it up with my system. Can't seem to get full 5.1 from the Blu-ray player, or the right menu on the Yam's display. Some advice on what cables to where would be great.

I have Panasonic 42 GT30 plasma, 4 Hdmi, 1 of which is ARC, Panasonic DMP bdt310 bluray, and Sky HD, and the new Yamaha 2200 soundbar. AT first I had HDMI out from the Yam to HDmi 2 which is ARC laballed on the Tv, then HDMI from bluray to Yam, and HDMI from bluray to Tv also. I've just put optical lead from SKY HD box to Yam. On Sky I can get full surround in 5.1, but am struggling elsewhere....

Have I linked to much up unneccesarily??

Any help would be really appeciated.

Thank you.:wall:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cashman said:
Hi, Just got my Yamaha 2200, and endeavouring to link it up with my system. Can't seem to get full 5.1 from the Blu-ray player, or the right menu on the Yam's display. Some advice on what cables to where would be great.

I have Panasonic 42 GT30 plasma, 4 Hdmi, 1 of which is ARC, Panasonic DMP bdt310 bluray, and Sky HD, and the new Yamaha 2200 soundbar. AT first I had HDMI out from the Yam to HDmi 2 which is ARC laballed on the Tv, then HDMI from bluray to Yam, and HDMI from bluray to Tv also. I've just put optical lead from SKY HD box to Yam. On Sky I can get full surround in 5.1, but am struggling elsewhere....

Have I linked to much up unneccesarily??

Any help would be really appeciated.

Thank you.:wall:

You don't need the HDMI from the blu-ray to the TV.

A

Anonymous

I'm seriously considering buying one of these, but wasn't sure about how to rig it up. I've got a ps3 for blu ray, a dvd/HDD recorder with HDMI upscaling and a Virgin+ HD set top box. Do you route everything through the Yam box inputs, and just have the one HDMI output going to the ARC HDMI connection on the TV (routing the signal input to the tv via the Yam)? And also, I'd like to use the Yam as a amp for music too. I need to connect my iPod via the optical input, but I can only find an expensive Onkyo converter dock, any cheaper options?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm pretty sure that Yamaha do a dock specifically for the YSP-2200, that would be the ideal choice.

Thanks.

skcblack

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Am I supposed to disconnect the video pin cable from the TV and soundbar once I have completed the Automated Setup? Now that I have completed the setup and click on "video" from the TV "input", it shows the Setup Menu for the Sound Bar.

Thanks

Kathy

TRENDING THREADS