Yamaha RX-V1065 vs RX-765

nathanc

Jul 4, 2007
Visit site
I've decided to make the jump to BluRay since the Sony BD 360 has dropped to under £130 but I don't want to miss out on the HD audio - I need to get a new amp too!

I need an amp with standby HDMI switching, Audio Pre Inputs and Outputs (to drive my Cyrus 7 on the front speakers).

The 2009 Yamaha's are now being heavily discounted which makes now a very good opportunity to get an amp at the same time as the BD player.

The RX-V765 meets these requirements and I've used a Yamaha in the past.. (its similar to my Marantz) - to top it all, I've seen this amp for £350!

The RX-V1065 on the other hand, got a better review here plus is equipped with proper binding posts for the extra speakers, slightly more power, a new GUI and a USB input. I've seen this amp for around £510 but is it worth the extra £160?

proterra

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
nathanc

Ive had the 765 for about a week, got is an upgrade for my old Yam DSP A595. Its a great piece of kit and the surround sound is alot better than my old one. I drive my front speakers via the pre out and my Musical Fidelity Amp. The levels setting up is a doddle using the included microphone. Save yourself some money and get the 765.

I got it for £356 at Weymouth Hifi. with free delivery. There is a cheaper price being advertised but it has an £11 delivery charge to be added. Ive got a panny TV and DVD and the viera link works a treat. to change I just push a scene button on the remote & voila!

nathanc

Jul 4, 2007
Visit site
The viera link still works through the amp's HDMI switching....

I have a Panasonic Plasma so I'm starting to wish I'd order the Panasonic BD player now!
Still, the panny BD60 works out 2-3 BD discs more expensive!

nathanc

Jul 4, 2007
Visit site
£350 is an absolute steel for the 765 but £512 is also a steal for the 1065!

I'm trying to organize an audition between the two but from reading the two WHF reviews... I am erring towards the more expensive 1065!

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
My mate at work replaced his yam 763 with 1065, he loves it!!!!!! Its a no brainer dude
emotion-4.gif

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm really pleased with my RXV1065. I took a LONG time choosing and want something that will server a long tour of duty (my last AV amp served almost 10 years).

I feel the extra functions of the 1065 make it future-proofed enough for me...

Like most things, you get what you pay for and I also believe buying something cheaper that's not really what you want often costs more in the long run as you end up replacing it.

TRENDING THREADS