Question about Yamaha RXV-361 and AVRs vs Stereo amps

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to audio/vinyl, and my current setup is a Fluance RT81 turntable, a CD player, a Yamaha RXV-361 AVR and the surround sound speakers that came with it. I am wanting to upgrade my setup (the speakers and the AVR in particular) and I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the Yamaha RXV-361 and whether or not I should replace it with a Dayton Audio HTA100, which is a stereo amp. Also, is a stereo amplifier actually better than an AVR? I've heard people say different things and I want to know what is actually true.
Thanks!

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hello,
I am new to audio/vinyl, and my current setup is a Fluance RT81 turntable, a CD player, a Yamaha RXV-361 AVR and the surround sound speakers that came with it. I am wanting to upgrade my setup (the speakers and the AVR in particular) and I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the Yamaha RXV-361 and whether or not I should replace it with a Dayton Audio HTA100, which is a stereo amp. Also, is a stereo amplifier actually better than an AVR? I've heard people say different things and I want to know what is actually true.
Thanks!
I don't know either of the amps you mention, but as rule of thumb stereo amps are better for stereo music as you aren't paying for the extra amplifier channels.

Theres a review of a Fosi 30 amp on the forum you might want to read.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Also, is a stereo amplifier actually better than an AVR?
No, this is an audiophile myth. An AVR is a smart device, equipped with many functions and an audio processor; a regular stereo amplifier is, in comparison, "dumb".

AVRs have one undeniable advantage - the presence of a system for correcting your acoustics to the characteristics of your room. The room has more impact on the sound than all the other components in your sound system combined.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
No, this is an audiophile myth. An AVR is a smart device, equipped with many functions and an audio processor; a regular stereo amplifier is, in comparison, "dumb".

AVRs have one undeniable advantage - the presence of a system for correcting your acoustics to the characteristics of your room. The room has more impact on the sound than all the other components in your sound system combined.
How do I tell if my current receiver has room correction?

TRENDING THREADS