Would MA-BX6 or RX6 overkill for marantz pm6004?

hamid_hifi

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.,

I'm about to get a pair of new speakers for my quite one year old marantz 6004 amp...

If I go for Monitor audio would somthing like bx6 or rx6 be easily drive by the amp? I rarely turn the knob beyond 10 o'clock...But I dont realy want buy anything make the amp sound distorted or the worse goes into protect mode in high volumes...

Or...just stick with bx2 or bx5?

I have fairly large room about 30 meter squar and I listen to almost everything

Thanks in advance

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
No problem, mine drives B&W Flst (like 684) at 9 -10 H,

in a 36 m2 room; anyway, better for you to bring the amp in store,

to connect and test MA...

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I tried to drive my RS6's with an old pm6010 (not the KI version) to see what it would sound like. The amp is around 45w into 6ohm, and it sounded poor - thin with a very harsh top end (distorting badly on some music). I imagine those speakers would need at least 60w into 6ohm to get them sounding decent, probably similar result with the RX6. Not sure about the BX, but worth a demo to be sure

cannibal_ox77 said:
I tried to drive my RS6's with an old pm6010 (not the KI version) to see what it would sound like. The amp is around 45w into 6ohm, and it sounded poor - thin with a very harsh top end (distorting badly on some music). I imagine those speakers would need at least 60w into 6ohm to get them sounding decent, probably similar result with the RX6. Not sure about the BX, but worth a demo to be sure

This is what I've mentioned many times: MA Silver range need top-notch amplification to hear them at their best. It is a case of quality over quantity, so how many watts is largely irrelevent.

I've heard the 7001 with old RS6s and it sounded good in some respects, but that treble needs an amp that grips it better IMHO.

hamid_hifi

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys,

I brought my amp to the shop and made some demoes with BX6, RX6 and the BX5...With the BX6 bass was good but as long as you are not beyond 10 H...The sound was a bit distorted at high volumes...

Things were better with the RX6 but honestly I didn't like the look specially the plinth looked like its made of a cheap material...

I also listened my amp with the BX5s and Wowwww...The sound was alot better comparing withBX6 and RX6...The distorted bass was gone although the bass was a bit more polite but it sounded best for me...So I ordered pair immediately.

Brought them to home and all I can say is they are as musical as I wanted...everything is perfect for me from build quality to the sound. They even sound a lot richer and fuller in my room than the shop also the sound is warmer which I was worried because I read everywhere BX series have tendency to be a little bright...

The only issue I found is the retailer gave me to boxes of diffrent part numbers...!!! Which I did not realized first. Also not so sure if they should have the same sr or not. One pack lable says A the other one says B also...

So is it something I should be worry about?

D

Deleted member 108165

I think that the RX6 would have been a bridge too far for the PM6004.

I previously had the same combination PM6004/CD6004/BX5 for about 18 months and they all sounded great together.

Unfortunately, owing to a revised room layout I had to look for bookshelf speakers again, so I opted for the RX2 but the 6004 did not drive them well so I upgraded to Pearl Lite PM/SA. But I'm still unsure if the Pearl Lite amp has what it takes to drive these RX2's, only time will tell I suppose.

hamid_hifi

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

Yea they sound pretty darn good. Seems I did make the right choice. The seller also adviced me not to get those bx6/rx6s they are too driver heavy for the pm6004 I think.. My kit also is cd/pm6004. But the only thing scares me is the serial number mismatch...I'm affraid there would be any differences in the sound they produce which I didn't realized yet or drivers/crossovers...?? :quest:

One says 200787A the other one 200940B(serial numbers)

:pray:

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

This is what I've mentioned many times: MA Silver range need top-notch amplification to hear them at their best. It is a case of quality over quantity, so how many watts is largely irrelevent.

I've heard the 7001 with old RS6s and it sounded good in some respects, but that treble needs an amp that grips it better IMHO.

If you don't think the 7001 drives the Monitor Audios satisfactorily, then what model and price band would you suggest can ?

Roksan Kandy at £800, or the Caspian at £1600. How much would need to be spent, and in your opinion, would the difference in sound be worth the upgrade, or just marginal ?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts