Disappointed with YAMAHA A-S501

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Today I have decided to definitely return this amp. I have demoed Rotel RA-10 and it sounds great! Within five minutes I figured out that it sounds optimal for my ears and taste at bass and treble knobs turned to 12:30 o'clock position. The treble is what I like the most about this amp. Just the way I like it - sharp, detailed, clean.

The only thing I really dislike and don't understand about this amp is the lack of a remote control :/ I will have to adopt to a new listening style :/ Whenever I watch movies, I keep remote control in my hand, because in many movies dialogues are recorded very quiet, then BANG the shooting scene breaks out and it is all too loud...

Another thing is, when I played some electronic music on it I thought the bass isn't as dynamic as I would like, so I decided to go back another day, play some more electronic music and listen closely. I am going to use a sub with my setup anyway so it should be able to compensate for the slightly weaker bass performance.

Yamaha will have to go back and away from me, I don't wan't to hear or see it again.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Delban said:
Today I have decided to definitely return this amp. I have demoed Rotel RA-10 and it sounds great! Within five minutes I figured out that it sounds optimal for my ears and taste at bass and treble knobs turned to 12:30 o'clock position. The treble is what I like the most about this amp. Just the way I like it - sharp, detailed, clean.

The only thing I really dislike and don't understand about this amp is the lack of a remote control :/ I will have to adopt to a new listening style :/ Whenever I watch movies, I keep remote control in my hand, because in many movies dialogues are recorded very quiet, then BANG the shooting scene breaks out and it is all too loud...

Another thing is, when I played some electronic music on it I thought the bass isn't as dynamic as I would like, so I decided to go back another day, play some more electronic music and listen closely. I am going to use a sub with my setup anyway so it should be able to compensate for the slightly weaker bass performance.

Yamaha will have to go back and away from me, I don't wan't to hear or see it again.

Have you tried a NAD C326BEE?

It is a very good sounding amplifier and it includes 2 subwoofer outputs, remote control, tone controls, pre outs, 7 line in's, 50w of power. I think it may suit your needs incredibly well.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Delban said:

The only thing I really dislike and don't understand about this amp is the lack of a remote control :/ I will have to adopt to a new listening style  :/ Whenever I watch movies, I keep remote control in my hand, because in many movies dialogues are recorded very quiet, then BANG the shooting scene breaks out and it is all too loud...

Interesting what you say about the Rotel, my view is the same about their 'house' sound.

My test was with the ra-1520. The treble is sharp and detailed and the bass is solid but is monotone the midrange lacks something though. Which is strange as a frequency sweep is smooth.

A young man's amp - Rotels to me lack subtilty.

But I like the Yamaha sound.

Let us know how you get on with your choice.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried a NAD C326BEE?

It is a very good sounding amplifier and it includes 2 subwoofer outputs, remote control, tone controls, pre outs, 7 line in's, 50w of power. I think it may suit your needs incredibly well.

[/quote]

It has 2 sub outputs but only 1 pair of speaker terminals which doesn't suit my needs. Thanks though.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I think the Yamaha seems to be fussy about input source too. When I used Marantz amp, music from my PC over analogue cable sounded much better than now with the Yamaha.

This is just another weird thing about this amp.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Again I agree with you.

On my Yamaha I cannot get on with any of the soft sources I plug in. But I use YouTube and not the pay sites.

But saying that it's performance with the CDplayer is really really good and is my medium of choice.

I also prefer the digital inputs over the analog for some reason.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm confused now, I was going to return in tomorrow but now I think I got used to it? I will switch back to Marantz later today and listen to the same music ahain to make up my mind.

Yes CD source sounds better but still there is something about the treble that I just don't like.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Dr, if you have not tried it, if your CDplayer has digital coax out, use it - use a single leg from your interconnects.

Not sure if you'll hear a difference but try it.

Do you bi-wire your speakers?

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I didn't think of this. I will try it. But I don't think it will greatly improve this amp's treble.

No I don't biwire my speakers because I am using 4 speakers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You have one more day....maybe. You may aswell push the boat out.

Bi-wire the BX2's - use both A and B speaker outs on the amp.

Again you may not hear an improvement but what the hey.

Let us hear your findings.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I have disconnected the amp and hooked the Marantz back up just to compare the sound. Kind of late now so I will test it in the morning. I will mainly focus on high frequencies - vocals etc. Most likely I will keep the amp for now instead of returning, then if I finally decide it is not for me I will just sell it second hand. I like the sound of Rotel RA-10 but I would have to go listen to it again. Also I'm so terribly ill right now I think going outside tomorrow to return the amp would be irresponsible.

I know that I probably got used to the sound of Yamaha but when I listened to it today, I felt like it also burnt in or something? Same songs which a week ago shortly after unboxing sounded dull, today sounded more spacious.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Still not as good as the Rotel RA-10 but it is hard to compare, because during the demo I used a different CD player which is the updated improved version of CD6002. So it could be also the CD Player contributing to a better sound,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts