Would it not make sense for 3D players to have twin HDMI outputs?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm not particularly interested in 3D, but the Onkyo prize questionnaire has got me thinking.

It seems like it'd be a much simpler job to put twin HDMI outputs onto 3D BD/DVD players, rather than forcing consumers who want 3D to junk their existing expensive receivers.

You could keep your existing receiver for the sound and then have a video only HDMI run straight to the TV. Yes. It means switching source inputs on both the TV & the amp, but if it means you keep that extra £1k in your pocket, it's a small price to pay.

The only people who'd have a problem, would be luddites like me whose TV only has a single HDMI input and use their receiver as a HDMI hub for a number of components.

Does anyone think this is a likely path manufacturers may go down? I think if they want 3D take-up to be anything more than bare minimum, they'll have to.

A

Anonymous

as nads hinted , pana 3d players have two hdmi outs , so no need to change your av receiver or cables ....

A

Anonymous

you mean are panasonic the only ones who have no interest in the sale of 3d av receivers , dont you
emotion-5.gif

yes , pana are alone in this nice little idea...

which im sure whfi will make loads of noise about once they do a 3d player shootout ..should knock a star or two off the competition ..

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The next question is; Would a HDMI cable that carried only video (if such a thing existed), perform better than one that carried everything? Much as the RGB Scart of yesteryear surpassed the regular scart in picture quality.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

i dont think so chris , standard 1.3 spec hdmi cables will be used , one for sound , one for picture , neither should be stressed handling either one anyway imo..

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

you mean are panasonic the only ones who have no interest in the sale of 3d av receivers , dont you
emotion-5.gif

Yes, I think that is right to the core of the issue. Some manufacturers have certain interests for you to replace your entire home cinema setup when going into 3D, milking the consumers dry in the process.

Other manufacturers, not so strong in the amp/receiver arena, sees more opportunities in making 3D easy to sell, without the need to replace everything.

I actually don't see why Samsung and LG shouldn't be among the players making 3D Blu Ray players with twin HDMI outputs? But it of course might come.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
TKratz:maxflinn:
emotion-5.gif

Yes, I think that is right to the core of the issue. Some manufacturers have certain interests for you to replace your entire home cinema setup when going into 3D, milking the consumers dry in the process.

Other manufacturers, not so strong in the amp/receiver arena, sees more opportunities in making 3D easy to sell, without the need to replace everything.

I actually don't see why Samsung and LG shouldn't be among the players making 3D Blu Ray players with twin HDMI outputs? But it of course might come.

Don't Samsung make AVRs but they just aren't very available/prominent in the market here?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure both Samsung and LG makes AVR just as Panasonic. But as you say they are not prominent in this segment of the market, and it therefore makes sense to priorities differently.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, if you're interested in upgrading to 3D and not buying a new HDMI 1.4 capable receiver, here's hoping Pana can produce 3D ready blu ray players that can compete with the likes of Sony in terms of sound and pic quality...

Seems like a glaring oversight to me. As manufacturers are pushing 3D hard, there's some logic in making the technology available to consumers who don't want to shell out large sums of money for a new receiver.

A

Anonymous

maybe im a little cynical , but i dont think it was an oversight , many people buying into 3d wont be looking at their options on sites like this , they will probably just buy the same make of 3d blu-ray player as their new 3dtv , and then have to upgrade their av receivers , should they have one ..

putting in a 2nd hdmi out would be simple , and cost very very little , theres only one reason why all bar panasonic have not done this imo ....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with you, and I'm incredibly cynical. I just think manufacturers pushing 3D might be shooting themselves in the foot if they're relying in the stupidity of consumers. True, not everybody buying into 3D will be aware of the difference between HDMI v1.3 & 1.4, but anybody shelling out thousands of pounds on a new system would hopefully do some research.

Then again, if you're starting from scratch, I guess it isn't a problem with the new generation of receivers...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts