2D and not 3D... that is the question!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy a dedicated bluray player to avoid the wife wanting to use my PS3. All the players i have looked at i.e. Pioneer LX55, Denon 2012 and Panasonic bdp500 are all 3D and i don't want a 3D player as i have a Pioneer Kuro with a Pioneer LX51 receiver and don't want to change. My simple question is can i still use one of these connected direct to the receiver and receive the quality of image and HD audio in 2D? Every article i have read have said to connect i hdmi to the tv and 1 to the receiver if you don't have a 3D receiver but i don't have that luxury and they don't mention a non 3D TV. The only HDMI port available is the current one take by a DVD player on the receiver as all the others are taken by PS3 and XBOX and the 3 on Kuro are used by the receiver, Tivo and a Mac Mini. Any advice would we welcome. If this is not possible then recommendations on a 2D bluray would be ideal. Looking for best picture and upscaling quality over extra's like wi-fi, networkable etc etc

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rains said:
My simple question is can i still use one of these connected direct to the receiver and receive the quality of image and HD audio in 2D?

The simple answer is yes.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
rains said:
My simple question is can i still use one of these connected direct to the receiver and receive the quality of image and HD audio in 2D?

The simple answer is yes.
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks for the quick response Andrew. I got slightly confused by comments relating to twin HDMI's i.e. one to the TV and one to the receiver bit if i'm only interested in 2D and best quality of picture then sounds like i'm good to go.

Do you have any recommendations as which my suit my setup, i understand some people have issues around lipsync on the pioneer and faulty Denon's. Should i have the player decode or the receiver?

Thanks again

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rains said:
I got slightly confused by comments relating to twin HDMI's i.e. one to the TV and one to the receiver bit if i'm only interested in 2D and best quality of picture then sounds like i'm good to go.

Indeed: the twin HDMIs thing is really there for those users wanting 3D but having an older receiver without HDMI1.4 and thus luacking 3D pass-through. It lets you send the 3D video straight to the display, and still send audio to the receiver.

rains said:
Do you have any recommendations as which my suit my setup, i understand some people have issues around lipsync on the pioneer and faulty Denon's. Should i have the player decode or the receiver?

Haven't really used enough of these players to have a solid opinion, beyond the fact that obviously the Pioneer players will integrate more smoothly, in terms of remote operation for example, with the receiver and TV you have. And whether the decoding is best done in the player or the receiver is, in my experience, a matter of 'suck it and see' with the particular combination you choose.

FWIW I'd probably go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD, having used one at home for a while with impressive results.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
rains said:
I got slightly confused by comments relating to twin HDMI's i.e. one to the TV and one to the receiver bit if i'm only interested in 2D and best quality of picture then sounds like i'm good to go.

Indeed: the twin HDMIs thing is really there for those users wanting 3D but having an older receiver without HDMI1.4 and thus luacking 3D pass-through. It lets you send the 3D video straight to the display, and still send audio to the receiver.

rains said:

Haven't really used enough of these players to have a solid opinion, beyond the fact that obviously the Pioneer players will integrate more smoothly, in terms of remote operation for example, with the receiver and TV you have. And whether the decoding is best done in the player or the receiver is, in my experience, a matter of 'suck it and see' with the particular combination you choose.

FWIW I'd probably go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD, having used one at home for a while with impressive results.

Thanks for you advice. I'm using a harmony one so the remote is not so much of an issue. I will go out and test some including the Cambridge as recommended.

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts