Quick question regarding duel HDMI outputs on BluRay players and older AV receivers

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new BluRay player, and thinking of the Sony S790 based on its award winning status.

It has 2 HDMI outputs, which is important as I have an older AV receiver (AVR) that is not 3D capable. My new TV (Panna GT50) obviously is and I have purchased a separate HDMI cable to take advantage of a future BR players 3D capabilities.

My question is, how does this work? Currently, all my equipment plugs into my AVR with one HDMI cable going into the HDMI 1 socket on the TV. The inputs are controlled via the AVR. If I plug one HDMI lead into the HDMI 2 input on my TV and the other end into the video out of the BluRay player, then feed another HDMI cable from the other output on the BluRay player to my amp (to play sound), how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

Does that make sense? Obviously my TV will need to access both HDMI 1 AND 2 inputs at the same time, which it obviously it will not!? Or is it a case that I'll have the AVR on and set to BluRay player and just have HDMI 2 on the TV?

Sorry for the stupid question!

Juzzie Wuzzie

I think your second to last sentence is the answer - TV needs to think it is HDMI 2, and AV amp needs to think BluRay. TV will take the picture and AV amp the sound. I expect you'll need to turn off the 790 from sending sound via the HDMI to the TV as well (unless that is something you want).

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
PJ1200 said:
how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

The TV doesn't play the sound, I don't see why you'd want it to either if you have a full AV setup.

Sorry - I knew I wasn't being clear!

I don't want the sound coming out of the TV - as you state - I have a full set up for that. Its just the sound is being dictated via the AVR and the picture via the BR player to the TV. I think it is a case of having the TV set to HDMI 2 (to show the picture from the BR) and then having my AVR input set to the BR so that the sound that comes into the AVR is played (separately) via the speakers.

I get it now - I think!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
The_Lhc said:
PJ1200 said:
how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

The TV doesn't play the sound, I don't see why you'd want it to either if you have a full AV setup.

Sorry - I knew I wasn't being clear!

I don't want the sound coming out of the TV - as you state - I have a full set up for that. Its just the sound is being dictated via the AVR and the picture via the BR player to the TV. I think it is a case of having the TV set to HDMI 2 (to show the picture from the BR) and then having my AVR input set to the BR so that the sound that comes into the AVR is played (separately) via the speakers.

I get it now - I think!

Correct !!!

eremis666666

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just had a look at my settings, When you set the 790 up you have to choose if you want to use the duel hdmi or not and the sound is not sent on the hdmi cable which goes from blu ray to TV. It raised a question with me though, in the audio settings there is an option called "downmix" and it says " Set whether to apply Dolby Surround to the output audio signal" you then have the choice of stereo or surround. I have an av receiver which delivers 5.1 surround sound which works fine. I currently have it set on stereo, I guessed the surround signal would be sorted by the amp so chose not to let the blu ray do it. Is that correct?

TRENDING THREADS