Worth replacing cartridge on Technics SL-QD2?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Technics direct drive SL-QD2 which I purchased way back in 1986 and which is still in very good condition.

It's been well used over the years, but less so during the last couple of years. After reading all the posts about vinyl recently, I thought I would get an album or two out of the cupboard and play them. Playing one of my old favourites - Labour of Love by UB40 - was ok, but whilst I sat there listening it suddenly crossed my mind whether any of the parts - the cartridge maybe - could be replaced to improve the sound.

I really have no idea about this, I've exhausted my finances this year for any further significant HiFi purchases, and I only have about 80 albums and no plans to start buying more. I assume the cartridge can be replaced (the cartridge (original) is a Technics P30) but would it improve the sound?, and how much should I spend? (I would not want to spend more than £30-£50).

Any advice gratefully received!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ifor - I will of course have a proper look before I purchase.

It's never crossed my mind before to replace anything on the TT despite owning it for 27 years!

I need to be clear exactly what the cartridge is, and what the styli is, and whether there is any mileage in upgrading them. In posting this thread I was hoping for some 'pointers' which I've now got, so I will research it a bit further over the next week or so (I don't rush anything).

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I assume it is a 'no brainer' to replace the styli (for £10-£20) after 27 years? Then, can I, and would I get a benefit in replacing/upgrading the cartridge (no idea what this would cost?).

Back to my garden now - I have 6 foot high grass and dandelions to cut!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts