Wooly hats .... and other tweaks..

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
After spotting my latest ‘tweak’ (granite chopping boards and spike shoes under the speakers), my wife said that I would wear a ‘blue woolly bobble hat’ if I read on a forum that it improved sound quality!

Now before anyone from the woolly hat forum responds angrily to this suggestion, can I first state that I have nothing against woolly bobble hats and that for seven months of the year, we are usually wearing them (it can get cold in the Peak District) although not necessarily blue (or bobble).

The point is, would anyone like to share their tweaks, both positive and negative? Have you ever thrown a load of money at something only to discover that your system now sounds worse? I reckon I’ve spent some good but wasted money over the years on cables and linear power supplies but I’m sure that you good folk have lots more to offer!

Footnote – The granite cutting boards (£7 each from Argos) I believe, were good value for money. I was sceptical about the spike shoes (Blue Horizon) but these also tightened up the soundstage / bass slightly with more detail coming through (not quite as good value for money, though). Woolly hat looking good …….

Pedro

T

the record spot

Move your speakers 6" inches either way, or change the angle of toe-in if any. Big impact in the underlying sound.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My best (and easiest) recent DIY was using large (eco friendly) rubber wood pastry boards (£8.99 from a certain auction site) that are the perfect size for additional equipment and turntable supports (and have a nice natural wood wax finish), glueing on 3 cheap oak cones along with cheap soft rubber washers of the same size as the cones to act as a buffer between the board and the feet, and ending up with some good looking and very effective isolation platforms for a small fraction of the cost of 'professional' offerings.

My worst in terms of value for money is likely to be the same as anyone elses - cables. Thankfully I now realise that just about any competently made shielded oxygen free copper cable is all you need. I'm currently using a £7.99 Loops interconnect from ThatCable that does the job perfectly and without all the psycho-babble of the exotic varieties!

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I don't see them around any more, but just in case they do still exist, let me say that those green felt pens for the edge of your cds are a waste of time and money. The upgrade that really amazed me, however, was the replacement of the original fuses for some special 'audiophile' variety. I bought them at the Bristol show for a price which was too good to resist and I have to say they made a difference in detail, presence and soundstaging out of all proportion to their price. These were from Russ Andrews and replace the power cable fuses. As they say on TV 'other brands are available'. I have no idea why they make such a difference, but non hi-fi friends came round after the change over and immediately commented on the improvement.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
When still playing CDs, I once bought some in line attenuators. They reign in the volume so that you can still hear yourself think when the vol control is passed 7 o'clock. I found that the volume aspect worked but they also removed detail from the sound. Didn't like them at all so they were relegated to the 'old kit and spares' box. Maybe it was just my amps they didn't take to but I would suggest careful partnering if you are ever tempted.

Also got me thinking now about that box of spares and old kit. Has everyone got one?

Thought the wooden chopping board with cheap cones was a great idea, especially considering the ridiculous prices some of these isolation platforms command.

Pedro

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts