Yamaha A-S3000 review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
plastic penguin said:
Congrats. It sounds the dogs. Love the aesthetics of Yamaha too.

I'm slightly puzzled: Looked at your pic, how do you not get boom from speakers that close to a wall? My PMCs are about 24" from my wall which is fine. Any closer, though, and it loses its sonic integrity.

Nevertheless, pukka looking set-up. *good*
they are 21cm from the back wall i do not get any boom *smile* but the video's i did sounds like they are booming then i used my ipad to film the video's which has not made the sound that great
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
insider9 said:
Nice one Sabbath. I can see you moved the sub too. How much difference did it make?
i was thinking of using the sub with some music to try really but have not had the time to try yet as my little one has been ill so it will have to wait *smile*
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
114
21
18,595
CnoEvil said:
While scrounging around "The Google" for information on my speaker choice, I see in the Absolute Sound review of your splendid amp, used the Harbeth 40.2s.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s3000-integrated-amplifier/
What a good read!

I used to buy the AS when it was an ‘underground’ mag edited by the redoubtable HP. Better still are the very intelligent comments about objective and subjective listening that follow the review.

BTW, I like the silver finish, like the reviewer. I think I’m reverting to my yoof!
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
CnoEvil said:
While scrounging around "The Google" for information on my speaker choice, I see in the Absolute Sound review of your splendid amp, used the Harbeth 40.2s.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/yamaha-a-s3000-integrated-amplifier/
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
669
91
18,970
Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve posted some YouTube videos of my setup playing music but obviously it’s not going to do justice to my setup as I recorded the videos using my iPad but thought you would get a rough idea .

https://youtu.be/qtZdkskcUX8

https://youtu.be/u9wW48-OkiY

https://youtu.be/d1bqi53CzRk

I’ve just listen to the videos though my headphones and to be honest it’s not the best quality using a iPad but I tried as I’ve never posted a video on YouTube before so go gentle with me
That's not Black sabbath
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
1
0
Blacksabbath25 said:
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special
Having heard the Harbeth Super HLS5 Plus, they should be on your radar.....if I was looking for a speaker around that budget, it's probably where my money would go.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special
Having heard the Harbeth Super HLS5 Plus, they should be on your radar.....if I was looking for a speaker around that budget, it's probably where my money would go.
I’ve just spoken to richer sounds and they are willing to take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money to upgrade to the rubicon 8s which I would be a fool not to take there offer up .

So I’ve agreed and they are ordering them in next week sometime and most probably be the week after that I get them but had to think hard on this as one I didn’t want to lose any money on my opticon 8s which if I brought speakers from someone else I would not get much in the way of a trade in and two I know the Dali sound which I like and the fact Dali works really well with Yamaha .

So I feel I’ve done the right thing in regards of not losing out money wise
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
669
91
18,970
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special
Having heard the Harbeth Super HLS5 Plus, they should be on your radar.....if I was looking for a speaker around that budget, it's probably where my money would go.
I’ve just spoken to richer sounds and they are willing to take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money to upgrade to the rubicon 8s which I would be a fool not to take there offer up .

So I’ve agreed and they are ordering them in next week sometime and most probably be the week after that I get them but had to think hard on this as one I didn’t want to lose any money on my opticon 8s which if I brought speakers from someone else I would not get much in the way of a trade in and two I know the Dali sound which I like and the fact Dali works really well with Yamaha .

So I feel I’ve done the right thing in regards of not losing out money wise
Why would they do that, do you have to pay the difference between the retail prices?

like if retail price is 2000 and 3000 you have pay 1000?

I don't know which one of us upgrades most, but we ar both are some sick dudes *ROFL*

Slightly off topic you for now go dali,yamaha your 3 or 4th dali, im still going with nad (C 316BEE V2 and C515BEE) so i guess ww both are some sick fanboys dali/nad (i do how ever prefer Pink floyd over Black Sabbath *music2* )
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
thanks for the review i am going to wait till i have more money before buying my next speakers so i have a better upgrade instead of a bit of a upgrade if you see what i mean *smile* but i am after something very special
Having heard the Harbeth Super HLS5 Plus, they should be on your radar.....if I was looking for a speaker around that budget, it's probably where my money would go.
I’ve just spoken to richer sounds and they are willing to take my opticon 8s back without any loss of money to upgrade to the rubicon 8s which I would be a fool not to take there offer up .

So I’ve agreed and they are ordering them in next week sometime and most probably be the week after that I get them but had to think hard on this as one I didn’t want to lose any money on my opticon 8s which if I brought speakers from someone else I would not get much in the way of a trade in and two I know the Dali sound which I like and the fact Dali works really well with Yamaha .

So I feel I’ve done the right thing in regards of not losing out money wise
Why would they do it, do you have to pay the difference between the retail prices?

like if it's 2000 and 3000 and you have pay 1000?

I don't know which one of us upgrades most, but we ar both are some sick dudes *ROFL*
My Dali opticon 8s where £2000 so £2000 will go towards the rubicon 8s and I made £800 on my Yamaha A-S2100 so the remaining balance £1200 will come out of my pocket which I saved to buy the chord Dac but think it would be better spent on better speakers instead .
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty?
Good deal tho.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
Yeah totally, it must be a good mark up for them. Great deal for you, but surely totally fraudulent of them if they sell them as ex demo.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
Yeah totally, it must be a good mark up for them. Great deal for you, but surely totally fraudulent of them if they sell them as ex demo.
I remember when I traded in my opticon 6s they used them in there demo room for quite some time anyway I do not no what they will do with them as long as I get my hands on the rubicon 8s I am happy
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
734
293
5,270
They wouldn't sell Sabbath speakers as ex-demo. They would have to sell them as customer trade in mint condition. They would actually get more for them like this as a lot of ex-demo equipment has dings.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
That is a crazy offer you can't refuse! I am also confused as to why they would do this. What do you think they will do with the opticons? They can't sell them again at full price, and I didn't think they sold second hand hand gear, only reconditioned from faulty? Good deal tho.
probably sell them as ex-demo they are mint with boxes and they did the same for me last time when I upgraded from opticon 6 -8s I am not complaining it’s a very good offer but they must be a big mark up on them that’s all I can say .
Yeah totally, it must be a good mark up for them. Great deal for you, but surely totally fraudulent of them if they sell them as ex demo.
I remember when I traded in my opticon 6s they used them in there demo room for quite some time anyway I do not no what they will do with them as long as I get my hands on the rubicon 8s I am happy
Ah damn right, I'd do the same. Its their problem not yours.
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
insider9 said:
They wouldn't sell Sabbath speakers as ex-demo. They would have to sell them as customer trade in mint condition. They would actually get more for them like this as a lot of ex-demo equipment has dings.
Ahhh, I see *good*
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS