Yamaha A-S3000 review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
insider9 said:
That's why selling it at half of is way too good of a bargain especially for a current model. Unless it is to someone you know which is absolutely fine. However if you advertise it at £800 it will go to a second hand hifi dealer who will sell it at a tidy profit. Nothing wrong with that of course and if you want the cash quickly by all means do it. Otherwise I'd be asking for more. £1,200 asking would be reasonable and then I'd look to make a deal for no less than £1,000.
the trouble is I do not want it sitting on eBay for months I’ve just had a look and you can buy one now for £1700 but Audiovisual has a refurbished one for £1500 so £1000 is not bad for a lot of amplifier .
 
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Guest
Maybe put the sale of any redundant amp into improving pre amp duties, if you are using that Yamaha streaming pre device as an electronic pre amp. Maybe go for a good analogue pre and use the streamer / pre just for streamer duties.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Dont buy the wife anything otherwise she will expect it everytime you want to upgrade something - dont start that trend

Maybe buy her your favourite cd for her to enjoy you listening to
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
ellisdj said:
Dont buy the wife anything otherwise she will expect it everytime you want to upgrade something - dont start that trend

Maybe buy her your favourite cd for her to enjoy you listening to
I brought her a washing machine as the old one broke so she’s had hers already
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
114
21
18,595
Belated thanks for the review, and delighted you have now got what you wanted! In fact, probably better than you expected.

Lovely retro look too. There’s nothing like a bit of heavy metal - construction I mean! - to convince you that you’ve got your money’s worth!
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
Thanks

yes I definitely feel that I’ve got my money worth with both amplifiers really but they are both well put together amplifiers and you could spend the same amount of money on a different amplifier but the build might not be as good and I would feel a bit short changed I think .
 

ErwinC

New member
Nov 24, 2009
53
0
0
CnoEvil said:
As somebody that is always banging on about the importance of the amp, everything you describe is very much as I would expect....it is like a speaker upgrade - and why I originally suggested keeping your speakers and upgrading the amp.
I agree completely.

I first noticed how important an amplifier is when i bought the Mark Levinson 383 some time ago and also with my recently bought Marantz PM-11S3. Although i had decent amplifiers before that like a Naim UnitiLite, Marantz PM-14S1SE, Denon PMA-1600NE, ..., the sound really opened up and got a lot better when i used the ML 383 or PM-11S3. Using a better source did not have the same big impact as using these two amplifiers.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
I’ve posted some YouTube videos of my setup playing music but obviously it’s not going to do justice to my setup as I recorded the videos using my iPad but thought you would get a rough idea .

https://youtu.be/qtZdkskcUX8

https://youtu.be/u9wW48-OkiY

https://youtu.be/d1bqi53CzRk

I’ve just listen to the videos though my headphones and to be honest it’s not the best quality using a iPad but I tried as I’ve never posted a video on YouTube before so go gentle with me
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve posted some YouTube videos of my setup playing music but obviously it’s not going to do justice to my setup as I recorded the videos using my iPad but thought you would get a rough idea .

https://youtu.be/qtZdkskcUX8

https://youtu.be/u9wW48-OkiY

https://youtu.be/d1bqi53CzRk

I’ve just listen to the videos though my headphones and to be honest it’s not the best quality using a iPad but I tried as I’ve never posted a video on YouTube before so go gentle with me
Well yep, the audio is pretty poor, but you can tell how tight the percussion soinds and how clear the guitars must be. Even with that bad audio, you can tell it must sound pretty darn good.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
Well I haven’t got a proper mic I have only got the iPad which I didn’t realise how poor the recordings came out an till tonight when I put head phones on I did my best .

but pretty dame pleased with my new amplifier it’s opened up a lot more and I will be buying the chord 2quit what ever it’s called and then use my Yamaha CD player as a transport that should give more quality.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Blacksabbath25 said:
Well I haven’t got a proper mic I have only got the iPad which I didn’t realise how poor the recordings came out an till tonight when I put head phones on I did my best .

but pretty dame pleased with my new amplifier it’s opened up a lot more and I will be buying the chord 2quit what ever it’s called and then use my Yamaha CD player as a transport that should give more quality.
Cut out the cd player all together and send files to dac. Even better
 

MUSICRAFT

Well-known member
Blacksabbath25 said:
I’ve posted some YouTube videos of my setup playing music but obviously it’s not going to do justice to my setup as I recorded the videos using my iPad but thought you would get a rough idea .

https://youtu.be/qtZdkskcUX8

https://youtu.be/u9wW48-OkiY

https://youtu.be/d1bqi53CzRk

I’ve just listen to the videos though my headphones and to be honest it’s not the best quality using a iPad but I tried as I’ve never posted a video on YouTube before so go gentle with me
Hi Bs25

Looking good *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Well I haven’t got a proper mic I have only got the iPad which I didn’t realise how poor the recordings came out an till tonight when I put head phones on I did my best .

but pretty dame pleased with my new amplifier it’s opened up a lot more and I will be buying the chord 2quit what ever it’s called and then use my Yamaha CD player as a transport that should give more quality.
Cut out the cd player all together and send files to dac. Even better
i like my CDs Andrew still i no they are not as good as Flac but i was thinking long term and buying the Chord dac and then a really good streamer without a bulit in Dac
 

DougK

Well-known member
Dec 8, 2013
693
369
11,270
I wasn't criticising you BS it was a joke relating to what Mac's Mrs did with his video shoot a few days ago, she did a damned fine job. You did the best with what you had to hand mate.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
234
42
4,820
DougK said:
I wasn't criticising you BS it was a joke relating to what Mac's Mrs did with his video shoot a few days ago, she did a damned fine job. You did the best with what you had to hand mate.
Yes i no i did not take it as you criticising *smile* and thanks
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,553
20
19,695
Congrats. It sounds the dogs. Love the aesthetics of Yamaha too.

I'm slightly puzzled: Looked at your pic, how do you not get boom from speakers that close to a wall? My PMCs are about 24" from my wall which is fine. Any closer, though, and it loses its sonic integrity.

Nevertheless, pukka looking set-up. *good*
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS