Wiring interior speakers via a speaker cable that travels outside?

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Due to the building work iv had done I now have a rather impassable fireplace which I plan to put speakers either side of. In an ideal world I'd like the speaker cable to travel around the front of the fire place under the carpet. But I don't think ( given the thickness of good cable). This will be good enough for my other half (and to be fair I think it could look awfull too) so I'm looking for another option.

one option though might be to travel outside with the cable - around the back if the fire place, along the exterior wall and back in to the house. This would solve all the above problems but I'm not sure if there are any particular reasons why not todo this?. Has anyone got any advice/recommendations/warnings they could offer?

cheers!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Some cables are quite thin, so you may want to look at those. I'm not sure about the effects of temperature will have on the cable, I think you will only run one cable outside?

One thought can you not cut out a channel in the underlay for the cable? My old speaker cables were flat.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
the floor is concreat with freshly laid carpet.

Anyway, I think going out the wall and back in again with some trunking will work well. Lukcly too the exterior wall is totaly out of the way, so it will keep everyone happy :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mushroomgod said:
the floor is concreat with freshly laid carpet.

Anyway, I think going out the wall and back in again with some trunking will work well. Lukcly too the exterior wall is totaly out of the way, so it will keep everyone happy :)

Excellent.

Don't forget to keep your speaker the same length and to take the nearside cable out of the house, halfway along the conduit and then back to the near speaker.

This will remove any tendency for the system to suffer any left/right balance issues caused by temperature effects on just the one cable.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just another question, is it a solid fireplace or a gas insert into dri-wall, if it's the latter you could go through the dri-wall at low level and just fish the wires ? Just have to be careful not to drill through the gas line or any wiring.

Maybe a photo would help?

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
Just another question, is it a solid fireplace or a gas insert into dri-wall, if it's the latter you could go through the dri-wall at low level and just fish the wires ? Just have to be careful not to drill through the gas line or any wiring.

Maybe a photo would help?

its actualy a wood buring stove.

Had I had the forethought I would have asked the builder to channel a path that could have been plastered over. As it is its not really posible todo much with it because its all now been fully rendered and plastered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts