Windows 8 - Early reviews look promising

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think Microsoft has made its statement literally or figuratively that Tiles is where it's heading. I can't see them backtracking, other than perhaps to have some functionality which disables it for enterprise users, maybe.

Microsoft desperately wants its phone & tablet platforms to succeed. Its strategy is to offer a consistent UI amongst all 3 platforms, which will encourage desktop users to buy other Windows devices. Only time will tell if this strategy succeeds.

Windows 8 is significantly faster than Windows 7 when you compare its desktop interface.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Windows 8 is significantly faster than Windows 7 when you compare its desktop interface.

That may be true on a touch screen with a decent processor, it's no faster on my laptop compared to W7 & both start up in less than 15 seconds.

I used it on the pre release beta for the best part of 6 months & have now gone back to W7.

I dont agree with having to pay extra for Windows media centre it should be included, VLC media player is so much better & free :)

f1only said:
I dont agree with having to pay extra for Windows media centre it should be included, VLC media player is so much better & free :)

Microsoft was forced by the judge to not offer Windows Media Center as standard. Although even I'm surprised at the decision to charge for it (although Pro users will get it for free).

A

Anonymous

Wow, switching between tile and classic mode is a mess.

It really is not worth changing to this from Windows 7 for Me.

Very disappointed.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It is a good way of getting more cash out of consumers who have used it in the past & feel they can not do without it. I suppose it is bit like selling a car with no radio in but having the speakers already installed.

All this initial apprehension & negativity is understandable, given how radically different Windows 8 is. Only time will tell if Microsoft is successful with this. It was rotting with an ageing software & competitors were steaming far ahead. Looks like the giant has woken up, & has dared to be innovative. Has it hit bulls eye, or is wildly off target? Let's see.

Things will get more interesting from now on. Apple is evidently scared, by refreshing the iPad within 6 months.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Apple will quit the reactionary responses and not do anything silly with Apple OS. We're upto 10.8 now so it doesn't take a genius to work out they must be working on OS11, even if the next release is 10.9

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I could live with that, but I don't want some kind of expansion of iOS to be the default desktop experience.

I think Microsoft are right though in the long-term. Touch-fed UI is the future and it makes sense to have a unified OS across devices. Imagine being able to work on Word documents or Excel spreadsheets on an iPad-like device, saving them securely to the cloud and accessing them instantly from your desktop PC and laptop. That's what MS are facilitating. The next step along the road to utopia will be a fully cloud-based profile (including all your applications) which, if you want it to be, will be common across your devices, truly giving you everything anywhere. Though don't expect that just yet. Something like synchronous 40meg connection to the 'net across all devices both wireless and wired will need to be common before that's at all practical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts