Will my TV handle Blu Ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a Panasonic PX3760B (I think!) plasma TV. It's a few years old now and is HD ready but isn't 24 fps. Does this mean that if I hook up a Blu Ray player that the pictures will be jerky (like some people report) and unwatchable, or does this just happen with certain players/tv combos?

Thanks for your help,

B.

A

Anonymous

I have the 42" version of your TV and Blu Ray looks great. Only ever really noticed and juddering picture during panning shots on Planet Earth, but it's not really noticable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ear, but i was reading a reader review on the Sony BDPS360 and the guy was saying that the Panna tv he has isnt 24fps and he has issues playing Blu Ray discs.

I was quite keen on the Sony as the price is very keen at the moment, but if i won't work with my TV then its a no go.

By saying that you can output to 720p, will this solve any technical issues?

A

Anonymous

Thanks alwatson, sounds promising- which player are you using?

A

Anonymous

bunnylurve:

By saying that you can output to 720p, will this solve any technical issues?

I don't think the resolution has anything to do with the frame rate (24fps). The fact that the tv is 720p, I think, is irrelevant to whether or not it will suffer from judder.

Could you not ask in the shop in which you're thinking of buying the player, and gain the assurance that if judder is produced that they'll accept to take the product back?

CL

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
The S360 shows a blue light on the front panel when the TV receives 24fps. When the TV doesn't display 24fps the light doesn't show on the player, but the TV still receives the picture fine. I do believe that when scrolling though the option menus of the S360 that it allows you to disable 24fps output anyway.

Hope that helps.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bunnylurve:

Hello folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a Panasonic PX3760B (I think!) plasma TV. It's a few years old now and is HD ready but isn't 24 fps. Does this mean that if I hook up a Blu Ray player that the pictures will be jerky (like some people report) and unwatchable, or does this just happen with certain players/tv combos?

Thanks for your help,

B.

I can't comment about your exact model of TV, but my Sony Bravia is about 4 years old now, plain ol' 1080i/720p and no 24fps.

Blu-Ray looks great, no issues to report at all.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
CL:

The S360 shows a blue light on the front panel when the TV receives 24fps. When the TV doesn't display 24fps the light doesn't show on the player, but the TV still receives the picture fine. I do believe that when scrolling though the option menus of the S360 that it allows you to disable 24fps output anyway.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure? The blue light on the front of my S350 lights up when playing Blu-ray discs. Mine is set not to send at 24fps.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:CL:

Hope that helps.

Are you sure? The blue light on the front of my S350 lights up when playing Blu-ray discs. Mine is set not to send at 24fps.

As Big Chris says the blue light only shows on the S350 when a BD is detected, nothing to do with 24fps. There is a seperate indication when outputting 24fps.

In the manual for the S360 which I've just checked online the settings for "BD-ROM 1080/24p Output" are the same as the S350.

There are 3 settings, Auto/on/off

You can find the manual here, http://support.sony-europe.com/hav/hv/bdp/bdp.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=BDP-S360

BTW running mine into a full HD tv that is not 24fps compatable and not having any problems, have also tried it on an HD ready set and again no problem.

A

Anonymous

A blu ray will make a big difference to your tv, the model you have is a TH-37PX60 by the sounds of it and is a very good tv, yes its true that its not 24fps but i have myself connected a blu ray player to a panasonic plasma tv that did not support 24fps and it looked great anyway, 24fps is something new and people who used to watch normal dvd's before blu ray disc's came out would of been watching it the way you will be when you get your blu ray player, so its not too necessary if you plan on keeping your tv.

Ive recently sold my panasonic plasma tv and bought a newer panasonic plasma which does support 24fps but to be honest to you, i dont use the 24fps as my set has a THX mode built in which i use but it switches of the 24fps as THX dont use the 24fps, so thats a clever little point for you.

I own a Pioneer BDP-LX52 blu ray player which is brilliant thats if you want to splash out £500 but i would seriously recommend the Pioneer BDP-320 at around £300 is a awesome player.

If you need anymore help, please ask

CL

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
On my first HD Ready TV, which was the same as Big Chris' Sony KDL-V40A12U (the "original" Bravia TV) when it was connected to my first Blu Ray player - the Sony S350, it displayed images perfectly well. The S350 player whowed a blue light in the middle of the unit to recognise that a Blu Ray disk was in operation, but there is a further smaller blue light to the right of the fascia, which only comes on if the player recognises that TV is accepting 24fps. I recall that the light is labelled 24fps too.

I have checked this as I haven't changed any settings (other than the output from 1080i to 1080p) since I've changed the Sony KDL-V40A12U for a full HD TV. When playing on the earlier TV no blue light appeared during playback, but did and does so on Full HD TVs (which accept the 24fps).

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Panasonic Store:

Ive recently sold my panasonic plasma tv and bought a newer panasonic plasma which does support 24fps but to be honest to you, i dont use the 24fps as my set has a THX mode built in which i use but it switches of the 24fps as THX dont use the 24fps, so thats a clever little point for you.

I have the panasonic v10 plasma with THX mode. My understanding is that this mode prevents you from disabling 24fps and IFC, so it is automatically engaged. If you want to disable these, then you need to select a different viewing mode.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts