Wife and Hi-Fi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
I just hope that if any of you have daughters, that they are never subjected to the same degree of mysogyny that is regularly displayed so proudly on this forum. (Especially Davedotco's cheery little wife murdering 'joke' earlier.)

Oh good, I was beginning to think it was just me for a minute...

Wow, I mean wow.

Forum ettiquet forbids me from saying what I think of those responses. The professionally pious really should............................

Verity Burns

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem here chaps, is that there are very few women on this forum to defend our corner when things like this crop up, but that doesn't mean we don't exist :wave:

Here's a shocking stat for you - half of the WHF review staff are female. Blimey Nora, etc etc...

And just for the record... my husband couldn't give two hoots about hi-fi ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I love this thread.

banana_peel.png

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
I just hope that if any of you have daughters, that they are never subjected to the same degree of mysogyny that is regularly displayed so proudly on this forum. (Especially Davedotco's cheery little wife murdering 'joke' earlier.)

Wow, I mean wow.

Forum ettiquet forbids me from saying what I think of those responses. The professionally pious really should............................

Ok, how about if it was a joke about somebody raping your daughter, would you laugh then?

Actually forget I mentioned it, you probably would and as the forum's newly (self-)appointed professional know-it-all, you're never going to admit you could possibly be wrong.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep it would be good to see more females into this hobby, and on the forum. If more females were into HiFi then I think it could have possitive effects on the system designs as well. But on the whole, women just aren't. But it isn't sexist to say so.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If it had at least been a funny joke, it might have been worth all the complaints.

Remember folks, there was many a racist joke told in "the good old days" that would get you banned from most places if you told them now. In 30 years time, hopefully sexist jokes will have the same societal stigma.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Wow, I mean wow.

Ok, how about if it was a joke about somebody raping your daughter, would you laugh then?

Actually forget I mentioned it, you probably would and as the forum's newly (self-)appointed professional know-it-all, you're never going to admit you could possibly be wrong.

I just love comments of this type, for someone who is sometimes quite lucid, it is really quite wonderful.

I go from telling a mildly amusing joke about the perils of autocorrect on a Text to, a rampant misogynist who apparently approves of rape.

You couldn't make it up........ :wall:

And yes, I was a professional, in this business.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
If it had at least been a funny joke, it might have been worth all the complaints.

Remember folks, there was many a racist joke told in "the good old days" that would get you banned from most places if you told them now. In 30 years time, hopefully sexist jokes will have the same societal stigma.

Actually professor, I saw it as a joke about the perils of Autocorrect, an example of 'first world problem' humour.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

Actually professor, I saw it as a joke about the perils of Autocorrect, an example of 'first world problem' humour.

football_players_moving_the_goalpost_450.jpg

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

Yes, I did understand the joke - it involved domestic abuse and murder / manslaughter (I'll leave that one to the crown prosecution) as a result of a hilarious misunderstanding.

But thanks for explaining it to me anyway.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

football_players_moving_the_goalpost_450.jpg

Quite possibly.

Had I phrased it the other way round, the women receiving the text and killing her husband, so avoiding the usual stereotypes would that have been any different?

It is in the nature of jokes that someone is the butt, you are getting perilously close to forbidding any joke on the basis that it might offend someone.

Is that what you really want? Just asking.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

Yes, I did understand the joke - it involved domestic abuse and murder / manslaughter (I'll leave that one to the crown prosecution) as a result of a hilarious misunderstanding.

If you genuinely feel that way professor I offer my appologies, hopefully we will never meet, so I shall never have the missfortune to offend you in person.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
Is that what you really want? Just asking.

I really want to read [again] how you were a professional, in this business. It's been over 10 minutes since you last told us.

That's ok.

If you want more of my professional experience, pop over to "Amplifier difference........" thread, where I am name dropping and relating more of my 'anecdotes' from my professional life.

I take it 'tongue in cheek' style humour doesn't work for you either........ :doh:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
davedotco said:
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

If you genuinely feel that way professor I offer my appologies, hopefully we will never meet, so I shall never have the missfortune to offend you in person.

I didn't find it offensive per se, I'm just pointing out that jokes like that perpetuate society's general "tolerance" of the serious issues involved. To make it clearer, there were many racist jokes in the past - nowadays, these same jokes are still told, just without the parts that make them racist. In the same way, your joke could easily be rewritten - as you say, it's based on a misunderstanding caused by a phone's auto correct function. There's absolutely no requirement for the wife to be beaten to death for the same joke to be told.

My point is, I hope that some day your joke in its current form will not be tolerated as it is today, as at that point, society in general will hopefully have a lot more respect for women.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

I didn't find it offensive per se, I'm just pointing out that jokes like that perpetuate society's general "tolerance" of the serious issues involved. To make it clearer, there were many racist jokes in the past - nowadays, these same jokes are still told, just without the parts that make them racist. In the same way, your joke could easily be rewritten - as you say, it's based on a misunderstanding caused by a phone's auto correct function. There's absolutely no requirement for the wife to be beaten to death for the same joke to be told.

My point is, I hope that some day your joke in its current form will not be tolerated as it is today, as at that point, society in general will hopefully have a lot more respect for women.

Thank you professor, that is a perfectly reasonable, understandable point of view, one that I do not entirely agree with, primarily because I think, that in this instance, it is actually too absurd to be offensive.

To paraphrase Freud (probably), 'sometimes a joke is just a joke'.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:
davedotco said:
professorhat said:

I don't see the moral progress in that. Dave's joke was as harmless as can be.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
While it's nice to see how our current politically correct society means there are lots of moral defenders coming to the defence of the oppressed (especially since I'm not white so it's comforting that there are people out there who would come to my defence if I'm being racially attacked), but in this case i'm actually quite shocked to see how a seemingly harmless joke has got so many people's panties in a bunch. Sorry if that's offensive.... Should I say boxer shorts in a bunch?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My wife has no time for hi-fi. You see, she is too busy being the matriarch, and doing an important (professional!) job contributing to the good of all (hu)man kind. She is definitely not ironing.

Edit: why is the strikethrough functionality not showing ^ up there...??

Edit: She's just gone out for the evening. Time for a few LPs. :rockout:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Broner said:
I don't see the moral progress in that. Dave's joke was as harmless as can be.

By today's standards, most people would agree with you (as indeed they seem to be doing). I suspect most people also felt the same way about racist jokes in the 70s.

TRENDING THREADS