Why so quiet?!?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

You will have to forgive me but I am very new to this.

I have just got a second-hand Technics SL-BD22 turntable. I have connected it to my amp and played a record but it's really quiet.

I can hear it but if I were to plug in my ipod in the same amp it goes very loud.

As i dont know anything about turntables (yet) I am wondering what it could be? Is it something serious?

After a quick look around the internet am i right in thinking a faulty cartridge can do this or is it something inside?

Or is it that you just need a mega amp for turntables?

Help would be gratefully received!

Merry Christmas!!

A

Anonymous

I was just plugging it straight into some logitech speakers I have.

Looks i'm definitely missing something here. Am I right in thinking some dedicated amps have a special pre-amp circuit in them?

I had a look on amazon and you can get a 'phono preamp' for around £12. Is this the right thing and will it be rubbish? They also seem to run off a 9V battery, is that OK?

Thanks guys...

A

Anonymous

Probably sounds rubbish to you guys!

I'm working on building up a nice sound system but a second university degree leaves me with little disposable cash!

What about some of these - http://www.phonopreamps.com/

Any other suggestions around the £20 mark?

frank.custers

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have this one, and it is quite nice! Normally around 100 euro/80 pound.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-FONO-mini-A-20-/281039302595?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item416f3f6fc3

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
A Cambridge Audio 540p sold recently on fleabay for £36 (+ £5 p&P) - if you can get your hands on one of those at that sort of price it will survive several (potential) upgrades and last you for years to come. Steer clear of the stuff you've seen at the likes of Maplin, unless you think this really is likely to be a passing interesting...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts