Audio Technica VM95SH or VM750SH on Synq XTRM Technics Clone?

muaui

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
Hello What Hifi community,
can anybody here give me some advice? I recently bought really good speakers and now my digital chain (Laptop into DA-Converter into Onkyo 8780) sounds way better than my records (Shure M35X on Synq XTRM Technics Clone into same Amp), thus I am looking for an upgrade and pretty much deceided on the VM750SH. Somebody said to me however that the VM95SH would be a much better fit for the turntables tonearm. He did not go further into the subject. Can I "make" the VM750SH fit my tonearm? What would be the consequence if I went with that system anyway? Would not really sound all that better than the cheaper system? Would it make sense to buy a new turntable?
I am worried that the VM95SH is not good enough for my chain since I love really detailed and revealing sound.

Thank you very much for any insights on this topic!

No idea what the other person was referring as they both have standard fitment.
It all depends on your budget I suppose.
You might find the ML versions of these cartridges a better compro as I don't see the point of adding a cartridge of this price to a turntable that costs almost exactly the same.
I have no idea about your turntable although the word clone worries me, nor your budget for a new one.
You may be chasing something that isn't going to happen by comparing digital to vinyl.

Reactions: WayneKerr

muaui

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
wow, that was quick. Thank you!! It's a pretty solid turntable. Built for DJs but very solid built quality and excellent direct drive. The company was founded by a former Technics Engineer.
Maybe it has to do with the 750SH not performing well on a certain kind of mass tonearm? I have no idea.
What would be the advantage of going with ML?
As for budget: I was planning on spending around 350euro for a new system... I was hoping I would not need to buy a new turntable at all.

wow, that was quick. Thank you!! It's a pretty solid turntable. Built for DJs but very solid built quality and excellent direct drive. The company was founded by a former Technics Engineer.
Maybe it has to do with the 750SH not performing well on a certain kind of mass tonearm? I have no idea.
What would be the advantage of going with ML?
As for budget: I was planning on spending around 350euro for a new system... I was hoping I would not need to buy a new turntable at all.
When you say 350 for a new system what exactly do you mean?

muaui

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far!
I mean an Audio Technica VM750SH system would cost me 350euro and I would hope that would make a huge improvement in my vinyl soundchain. But apparently then my turntable might be the bottleneck / weak part of the chain if i understand correctly... I assumed the system+needle would have a larger impact on the sound than the actual turntable. In the same way as spending money on great speakers is doing more towards good sound than in a high end amplifier. But this might be wrong considering turntable/system combo?

Thanks for the input so far!
I mean an Audio Technica VM750SH system would cost me 350euro and I would hope that would make a huge improvement in my vinyl soundchain. But apparently then my turntable might be the bottleneck / weak part of the chain if i understand correctly... I assumed the system+needle would have a larger impact on the sound than the actual turntable. In the same way as spending money on great speakers is doing more towards good sound than in a high end amplifier. But this might be wrong considering turntable/system combo?
It is somewhat true that the cartridge is the crux of the system but putting it on a tonearm of questionable quality is the issue.
Yes I am sure the turntable can happily spin a disk at 33 1/3rpm but the tonearm / cartridge combination comes into play.
I notice your deck has an inbuilt phono stage and a lot of other gadgets that a purist turntable doesn't need so you have spent out on these unnecessarily when your amp already has an inbuilt phono preamp.
To my mind you didn't buy this turntable wisely, but that's just me.
Money has obviously gone on gadgets you do not need.
I think you should be happy with getting the best you can out of your current turntable if you don't want to buy a new one which is why I suggested a cheaper cartridge.
You could end up spending a lot of money trying to chase that sound you get from your digital set-up otherwise.
Question: do you use the inbuilt phono stage of the turntable or the one in your amp?
Try switching, it might surprise you.

muaui

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
I have bought two of those Synq turntables a while back and used them for both home listening and occasional DJ-ing. For the latter they were quite well suited. At the time. Since I do not DJ much anymore and since I have bought real good speakers recently I want to upgrade towards more audiophile needs.
So what I take away is I have basically two options that would make sense.
1.) upgrade to a slightly better cartridge then what I have right now (e.g. VM95SH)
2.) buy something like Rega Planar 3 or 6 plus maybe a great cartridge like the VM750SH
Maybe I will do 1) now and 2) some time in the future. Thank you again for your thoughts

I have bought two of those Synq turntables a while back and used them for both home listening and occasional DJ-ing. For the latter they were quite well suited. At the time. Since I do not DJ much anymore and since I have bought real good speakers recently I want to upgrade towards more audiophile needs.
So what I take away is I have basically two options that would make sense.
1.) upgrade to a slightly better cartridge then what I have right now (e.g. VM95SH)
2.) buy something like Rega Planar 3 or 6 plus maybe a great cartridge like the VM750SH
Maybe I will do 1) now and 2) some time in the future. Thank you again for your thoughts
No problem.
However, I would have thought the VM95 SH would be hard to better without spending a lot of money.
You obviously understand the difference in decks suitable for DJ ing may not be ideal decks for a hifi system, generally speaking.
Surely you must have known a Shibata tipped cartridge is not the best for a DJing turntable?

muaui

Oct 24, 2023
Visit site
Question: do you use the inbuilt phono stage of the turntable or the one in your amp?
Try switching, it might surprise you.

yeah, the phono input of my amp does sound better. Found that out a while ago luckily. :)

"Surely you must have known a Shibata tipped cartridge is not the best for a DJing turntable?"

as far as I know shibatawould be a horrible choice for DJing because backtracking would ruin both the needle and my records in no time. I equipped both of my Synq turntables with Shure M35X elliptical needles.

"However, I would have thought the VM95 SH would be hard to better without spending a lot of money."

So that sounds like a good way to go for now... if I understand you correctly, a turntable like Rega Planar 3 plus a system in the 350euro range wouldn't even sound considerably better?

yeah, the phono input of my amp does sound better. Found that out a while ago luckily. :)

"Surely you must have known a Shibata tipped cartridge is not the best for a DJing turntable?"

as far as I know shibatawould be a horrible choice for DJing because backtracking would ruin both the needle and my records in no time. I equipped both of my Synq turntables with Shure M35X elliptical needles.

"However, I would have thought the VM95 SH would be hard to better without spending a lot of money."

So that sounds like a good way to go for now... if I understand you correctly, a turntable like Rega Planar 3 plus a system in the 350euro range wouldn't even sound considerably better?
correct, but that's purely my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts