Why should seperates or pre/pro cost more than receiver?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
As I am on this path, the above question beats my thinking. I am under the impression a 7 Channel ~ 100+WPC amp section is getting removed from a receiver to convert it into a pre/por and I would expect it to translate to some savings with respect to the pre/pro price.

The improved quality of pre/pro when compared to the same brand, similarly specced receiver, in my view, should not be eating away all the savings of removing the amp section and on top of it cost even more.

If it is a pure pricing game played by the Product Managers based on the target audience with presumably deeper pockets - then I rest my case.

In my head the pricing should like this (ofcourse similar specced)

Pre/Pro > AV Receiver > (Pre/Pro + Power Amp)

What do you think?

Dear Editors - Please throw some light here as your extensive testing can say to some extent if it is a pure price game or it is some thing more than that meets eye / (simplified) logic.

PS: Yes, I understand, appreciate (and to a large extent loathe ;) ) the law of diminishing returns :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Usually the components used in processors are of a higher quality than those in receivers: the latter are built to very tight budgets in order to meet specific price targets, in what is a very competitive market. Processors, meanwhile, will sell in considerably smaller quantities.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. That explains the cost justification to some extent. I get the point of higher quality components.

Is this higher quality components translate to an improvement of perceived quality (which is subjective, individualistic) more like 20 to 30% improvement or like 3 to 4 % improvement. I know that I would have a completely different opinion that I would reach to when I audition myself but more keen to know yours and others views here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts