Which speaker for desktop PC or iMac?

Zacck

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello

I want speakers for my new desktop PC or iMac (not decided yet). I'll be listening through MP3/AAc and lossless & WAV uncompressed audio files. I have selected Audioengine 5+ as of now as desktop speakers but I'm also thinking of buying normal stereo speakers and have shortlisted Monitor Audio BX2 & KEF Q300. I want to know if I can connect them through my desktop computer? Is it easy or difficult? Is it a good idea to go for these stereo speakers rather than proper desktop speakers like Audioengine 5+? Which out of these has the best sound quality. I like punchy and tight bass (not overpowering bass), good mids (I listen to a lot of femal artists) and sparkling highs?I am looking for the kind of speakers that can reveal detail, clarity and should do justice with Lossless files. Please guide me through the full setup to connect through PC. Thanks in advance.

Paul.

You will need either an amplifier and speakers or an active monitor speaker (speaker with amp built in). Also, if you choose the amp-> speaker route, make sure your speakers are not rear ported (asuming your desk is against a wall) as the bass will sound boomy close to a wall.

I picked up a pair of these on ebay for £40 for use at work... Denon SC M50 they are rebranded Missions made for Denon. Front ported, very compact, I wall mounted them at ear hight to the left and right of my desk. Sound fantastic. I parntered it with a Marantz PM-44SE amp which also cost £40. I used some Chord Rumor cable I had lying around and a QED phono-mini jack lead to hook up to my Laptop, and it sound far better than a dock or computer speakers.

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
depends on how much space you have really.

Actives are conveniant and should have a well matched amp inside of them. If buying new it's probably better value. Also most of these speakers are designed to be comfortable against a wall/on a desk.

One thing you must do is get either a good sound card or DAC. IF you go for a PC there are some good PCI/PCIE sound cards which will probably cost less than equivalent sounding external DACs, asus xonar st for example.

Alternatively there are some actives which even have a USB DAC/soundcard inside them! I think the audioengine 5+ can do this, though not sure how well it does it.

P.s Playback in windows 7/vista is a minefield, as standard all your sound gets mixed by Windows, there are ways round it but it's not exactly plug and play.

A

Anonymous

As mention, depending of space and budget, the B&W MM1 PC speakers might be an option. Reviews are very good. I think WHF also did one.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/iPod_and_Computer_Speakers/MM-1/Overview.html

There is built in DAC picking the data on your computer from USB cable and seems to do a real good job. (I saw that it can read Studio Master resolution 24bit-192Mhz, but I couldn't confirm that info yet)

There is also an analog input. So if you want to use other sources like Apple products, you don't have the avantage to use the speaker DAC. (Which is a concern for me as for that price I would like the set up to be a little more flexible. But maybe I'm asking for to much...)

A

Anonymous

krazy_olie said:
P.s Playback in windows 7/vista is a minefield, as standard all your sound gets mixed by Windows, there are ways round it but it's not exactly plug and play.

No it doesn't.

Put your Windows volume at 100% and don't play multiple audio streams at once, and it's fine.

aswillman

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I have the B&Ws & they are OK. I have an active system as my main system & will be going back to an active desktop system mainly as I prefer the accuracy.

I would certainly try the B&Ws but if you can try & include some active speakers in your comparisons as well. I have had NHT & Genelecs (preferred the former) and am currently waiting to try out some Focal CMS 40s. I used a TC Electronic FW DAC before which was excellent but now have an Apogee Duet 2 (USB).

I also had a pair of ATC 10As which were fab but not exactly 'small'. I have 20As in my main system.

These are monitoring systems so may be a bit clinical for your taste. I prefer that & that's why I will be selling the B&Ws.

An external DAC/Interface also allows AD conversion if you have a turntable so an added benefit.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts