which receiver to buy in 2015

Hi,

I am setting my home theater for the first time. My main purpose is movies(65%) and music(35%). I have bought a pair of Bower and wilkins 685 s2 bookshelf speakers and asw610 10" sub, Now I couldn't decide which receiver to buy since there are so many new models released recently. My budget is below $500. I have two options.

1. Buy a cheaper receiver like yamaha rx-v377 ($177 in amazon) and get a center channel( bower and wilkins htms2 that is aavilable as oepn box item in a nearby store for 400). I am considering above 500 since I am gettign two pieces.

2. buy a moderate receiver like sony str-dn860 for $450 and postpone the center channel speaker for now.

Most of the 2015 receivers support wifi, bluetooth, hdcp2.2, I do not know how important these features are.

5.1 channels are enough for my near future. I could use bluetooth occasionally. Hdcp2.2 is supported in my tv. The lowend models like yamaha rx-v377 doesnot have standyby HDMI passthorugh which sounds like nice feature to have.

what would you suggest me. Is putting more money in reciever worth?? Now to add in to my confusion yamaha is releasing aventage RX-A550 at $550. Are aventage and Elites really bring notable difference in the sound quality for a moderate audio enthusiast like me..?

cheers

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
+1

You can save a lot of money if you're happy not to have the very latest machine. The prices of AV receivers, more than most other AV products, drop like a stone from the time they are initially released to a year afterwards when the next models arrive.

As an example in the UK I've seen the newer equivalent of my AVR (the Pioneer VSX-2024) for £499. They were £799 a year ago. Most of the facilities on modern AVRs are similar, but the quality of amplification should be significantly better than a machine retailing at £500 initially. I've not heard your speakers, but I understand that their fairly laid back presentation could benefit from a more forward AVR like the Pioneer to give them some kick.

The only caveat to the above is whether you plan to be 4k ready or not. Bear in mind that if your screen is less than 50", you won't be able to tell the difference anyway (unless you sit VERY close to your TV). But you will pay a significant premium if you're determined to have the very latest. AVR manufacturers bank on people that are!

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Alluri,

i have Onkyo 905 which I use with the B&W 685 Theatre but with ASW 610 sub and i am delighted with my system. I recommend that you demo your speakers with any receivers you are considering.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Alluri,

i have Onkyo 905 which I use with the B&W 685 Theatre but with ASW 610 sub and i am delighted with my system. I recommend that you demo your speakers with any receivers you are considering.

TRENDING THREADS