Which Out Of These Three Headphones?

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am considering three different (closed back) headphones based on the sound signature that I like, and would appreciate any help concerning which would best fit the bill. I am looking for clarity, detail, and airiness, rather than warmth and big bass. To this end, for years I've been using in-ears known for this type of sound: Shure, Etymotic, and currently Brainwavz B2. However, these can often lack bass of any kind at lower volumes, and when turned up, the bass distorts and the highs can be ear-splitting. In otherwords: I'd like a headphone with lots of detail in the upper ranges, but that also have enough body to stop music sounding sharp and tinny. The three which seem most appropriate within my budget are: AKG K181; Audio Technica ATH M50; Beyer DT250. Which would you go for?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
spooky said:
I am considering three different (closed back) headphones based on the sound signature that I like, and would appreciate any help concerning which would best fit the bill. I am looking for clarity, detail, and airiness, rather than warmth and big bass. To this end, for years I've been using in-ears known for this type of sound: Shure, Etymotic, and currently Brainwavz B2. However, these can often lack bass of any kind at lower volumes, and when turned up, the bass distorts and the highs can be ear-splitting. In otherwords: I'd like a headphone with lots of detail in the upper ranges, but that also have enough body to stop music sounding sharp and tinny. The three which seem most appropriate within my budget are: AKG K181; Audio Technica ATH M50; Beyer DT250. Which would you go for?

I would advise saving up for a better headphone. I have experience with the M50, and "clarity, detail, airiness" does not describe the M50. For around £165 or $200 USD you can get a Soundmagic HP100 that fits your description very well.

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ideally, it's more money than I'd like to spend, so I might look at some £100(ish) on-ear options instead - K451, ATH ES55 etc. Many thanks for the advice.

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ideally, it's more money than I'd like to spend, so I might look at some £100(ish) on-ear options instead - K451, ATH ES55 etc. Many thanks for the advice.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Beyerdynamic DTX501p is probably the closest to a neutral hi-fi headphone I've heard in that price range, being just a bit treble-shy, which is amenable to a slight boost with good results.

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll see if I can audition them at my local hifi store. I also keep getting reccomended the Senn HD25-1-ii, but I'm wondering whether these will sound shrill and ear-splitting at higher volumes. Might try and give these a test too.

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll see if I can audition them at my local hifi store. I also keep getting reccomended the Senn HD25-1-ii, but I'm wondering whether these will sound shrill and ear-splitting at higher volumes. Might try and give these a test too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts