Which closed back cans shortlist?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Next month I shall be buying my final pair of headphones, which will be closed back. I've heard none above the £300 mark and would like a bit of help with a short-list.

My source is CD or digital media into an Arcam iRDAC and Yamaha AS500 amp; material varies from classical, fusion and hard rock, but on balance it's mainly prog rock I listen to. Sound balance should be what I describe as 'normal' but with the midrange toned down a bit, some may say bass heavy and treble high but to me it's the same thing.

I've got my eyes on the Audeze LCD-XC, but the latest EL-8 are pretty much half the price. I have already arranged to audition the Audeze but there must be a few others that qualify as 'must-listen-to' at this price point. The ones that crop up are Beyer, HiFiMan, AKG and Grado.

Any advice and recommendations gladly received, thanks.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
paulkebab said:
closed back.

Grado.

I may not be fully up to date with their product line-up, but I didn't think Grado made any closed back models.

Personally I'd try to listen to as many as possible to see which sound you like. I'd also include Audio Technica at that pricepoint. I was going to suggest the Fostex TH600, but I think it is probably moer than you are looking to pay.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
For a very neutral, balanced sound I would recommend Shure SRH940 or Beyer DT770 Pro

If you're after the V-shape sound, I'd look at Sennheiser Momentum or maybe V-Moda Crossfade M100 (although I haven't heard those)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
For a very neutral, balanced sound I would recommend Shure SRH940 or Beyer DT770 Pro

If you're after the V-shape sound, I'd look at Sennheiser Momentum or maybe V-Moda Crossfade M100 (although I haven't heard those)

Someone from headfi replied to my Shure 940 review saying "the 940 is very, very, very, very bright" - an exact quote. But it's no brighter than the Sennheiser HD800. The DT770-32 has a cavernous sound, with just a small treble peak.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
are also open back. I wasn't sure if Grado did a closed back so that's one out of the equation. I'm prepared to go for the LCD XC's currently £1500 save a quid, but they will have to sound supreme, going from the test reports I've read they are!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with the Beyer DT880 or 990 Premium Edition if you prefer open. There is very very little difference between the two of them, I've demoed side by side on my hifi. I personally prefer the sound of these to the T70 which is more expensive and given that the price of Beyers has recently been reduced they are a no-brainer to me. Listening to Fleetwood's Dreams or Rhiannon is just beautiful.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I could go for the Audeze LCD-3 which are open back. I'll have to audition those, too, as if they're not too open I might be tempted. I've heard of the Oppo headphones which use the same planar construction so they're duly noted.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I with dalethorn - if I was spending that much, I'd be looking at an open design. My current favourite is the Oppo PM1.

If I had enough cash, I'd get the PM1 along with that amp they sell.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
If I had enough cash, I'd get the PM1 along with that amp they sell.
I wish I could afford them! Looking at the Audioquest Nighthawks, as I've been hearing good things about them from reliable sources.

I do like the B&W P7 though. Unusual for me as I'm not keen on closed back.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
they don't physically look too 'open' and reading up they seem excellent and look the part so they're on the list.

Just to clarify things, I'm not worried about sound leaking out, I just don't want anything coming in. Open back would be great but 'Awaken' by Yes from Going for The One will always be spoiled by someone ( ie the other half ) !

The Fostex TH900 get good reports too, with a slighty laid-back midrange which is exactly what I'm after so thanks for the suggestion Helmut80. They also look gorgeous!

JoelSim said:
I don't think you can go wrong with the Beyer DT880 or 990 Premium Edition if you prefer open. There is very very little difference between the two of them, I've demoed side by side on my hifi. I personally prefer the sound of these to the T70 which is more expensive and given that the price of Beyers has recently been reduced they are a no-brainer to me. Listening to Fleetwood's Dreams or Rhiannon is just beautiful.

....and DT 770 Pro closed back if amped decently.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_100000759563588 said:
JoelSim said:

....and DT 770 Pro closed back if amped decently.

Agreed. Beyer don't let bad headphones out to the public. It's all about sound and nothing else as they are hardly the most stylish.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the Oppo PM1's with the Fostex TH900's an extremely close second place. Extremely disappointed with the Audeze LCD-3 and LCD-XC, just not my kind of sound. The Oppo's will be delivered on Tuesday and I can't wait, thanks to everyone for their pointers and recommends.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
sounded superb to me, exactly my kind of sound; I had the advantage of having them side-by-side for instant comparison and it was a very close thing. The Fostex sounded a little bit 'splashy' on the top end compared to the Oppo but not intrusive to the point it was a problem, I could have lived with it. The Oppo was a little bit more controlled in that respect, both headphones giving fantastic detail and 'punch', but where the Oppo shone through was comfort - they are fabulous in that zone and it was that aspect which swung my wallet. As I said, extremely close and thanks again to all. When they're run in I'll post a full review.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
fully run-in now and spectacularly good. I'd leave a review but they aren't in WHF database.

Let me just say they are life-changing, all of my music contains things I've never heard before and my collection goes back 45 years. They're jaw-droppingly expensive but so is the sound.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
as I was assured that the PM1 would deliver more of what I wanted at the bass and treble end of things over the PM2 which is why the Fostex were very close, definitely edgier but would have proved fatiguing at the levels I sometimes listen at, and the comfort level wasn't high enough compared to the PM1's. There's only one way to find out when this kind of money is involved and the long journey was well worth it; in reality I saved £500 as I was going to get the Audeze LCD-3 on reviews alone!

TRENDING THREADS