Which Optical cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have jsut made my first step into the world of better sound quality by purchasing the Logitech Z5500 system and a creative XFI sound card.

The speakers only came with the orange, black and green jack cables, which for the time being is ok. But i would like to connect my sources to the Logitech Z5500s via better media.

The controller/amp for the speakers has both digital optical and coaxial inputs, but the two items i would like to connect only have optical:

Samsung LE32R87BDX (TOS LINK)

XFI sound card (Mini optical)

Which means im stuck with using the optical input (As i understand it: coaxial > optical > phono), right?

So, I don't know which optical leads do i get?

So far I've found these two on ebay (CLICKY and CLICKY ) or this set from Maplins, which is good as they are just down the road! CLICKY

My setup is obviously not the height of audio pleasure, but i still want to get the best that i can out of it. I'm just not sure it's worth spending mega-bucks on cables for a system that probably doesn't justify them.
emotion-7.gif

Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

You're right, optical is not as good as coaxial. However, differences in digital cables are much more subtle than in analogue cables. If I were you, I wouldn't spend much on them - instead spend it on something else like upgrading mains cables. If you agree (like i do) with what Russ Andrews always say, mains is the most important: russ andrews suggestions. However, this is highly contested on this forum as well as all over the internet. Just keep an open mind and try to get something on a return basis so you can hear for yourself.

A

Anonymous

mmmm, Curry
emotion-4.gif

Are you implying that it's just an opinion and there's not much basis to it?

So should i spend out on a really good optical cable or just get the cheapy one off ebay?
emotion-7.gif

Would any one else like to give some input?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I think expensive optical cables are a waste of money and are literally money for old rope. Just make sure it has decent connectors, thats all. IMO.

R

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Pingman"]I've found these two on ebay (CLICKY and CLICKY ) [/quote]

The ideal answer is to listen to a few and buy the ones that are right for you (if you find no difference then you'll have the cheapest, hurrah).

If you're buying "unlistened", then in your set up I'd be tempted to cable it with cheapie ones and see if that works well enough

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hifi_nut"]literally money for old rope[/quote]

No, literally money for new plastic - or glass, if you're lucky and willing to pay the extra.

A

Anonymous

Glass cables for me please. Have the cablophobes never heard of a thing called "jitter"?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Pingman"](As i understand it: coaxial > optical > phono), right?

[/quote]
Even if only because, like I did, on the odd occassion you accidentally knock the hi-fi rack and it moves a bit closer to the wall, and your expensive optical cable gets turned into a useless piece of glass and plastic and metal. I replaced it with a co-axial that is much more robust.

A

Anonymous

It's a shame that my sound card does not haev a coaxial out put :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts