Improved Analogue to Digital Converter, or Soundcard with Optical Output

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I've got a Yamaha RN303 amplifier, connected to, amongst other things, a Dell PC with a Realtek ALC3246 audio controller through a Portta analogue digital controller to the coaxial port. I get 'noise' through my headphones, which isn't there on the occasions I connect my IPad via Airplay. So... is this something that might be improved through an improved ADC eg CYP Au-D4, or is it worth looking at a sound card with eg an optical output? Or... is there a simpler solution involving the RCA sockets? Thank you :)

nads

Sounds like you have way to many boxes doing nothing but adding possible noise problems,

as above how is each part of the chain connected to each other?

and which Dell PC. Is it?

Last edited:

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
I’ve looked at the manual for your amp and, I see it has an optical input. If your Pc has an optical out socket, most do, connect directly using an optical cable and use the amp’s DAC.
It doesn't have one, unfortunately. This is why I'm wondering whether it's worth getting a sound card that has one, or rca ports.

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like you have way to many boxes doing nothing but adding possible noise problems,

as above how is each part of the chain connected to each other?

and which Dell PC. Is it?
It's an Inspiron 3881. Initially, I connected the headphone jack to one of the line-in ports, but the sound quality was dire. The Portta box is connected to the Coaxial port, and comes from the 3.5mm line-out port (the green one). It has improved sound quality, but there's still noise, whether I connect it to the coaxial or optical output.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
You would probably get a better result connecting the RCA connectors directly to the amplifier rather than using the conversion box.

You could stream audio files on your PC over Wi-Fi to the amp using Windows Media Player or iTunes and UPnP.

If those don't give you the quality you want, a USB DAC would probably be the next best thing. However, for that sort of money, you might consider another streaming device instead of your PC. For example, I use an Apple TV to stream video and audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: MossleyBob

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
You would probably get a better result connecting the RCA connectors directly to the amplifier rather than using the conversion box.

You could stream audio files on your PC over Wi-Fi to the amp using Windows Media Player or iTunes and UPnP.

If those don't give you the quality you want, a USB DAC would probably be the next best thing. However, for that sort of money, you might consider another streaming device instead of your PC. For example, I use an Apple TV to stream video and audio.
This is really helpful- I've now turned on media streaming, although this only seems to allow me to play media files that have been downloaded. The quality is great, it's virtually noise free.

It's Amazon Music that I'm trying to play though- now that the connection is there, any thoughts on how I might be able to configure it? I'm reading the manual, but it's not making a great deal of sense to me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts