Recording Vinyl via a 2013 MacBook Pro. Input Query

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

Can anyone help with an audio solution I need?

I have just bought my first Mac. It's just over a year old, off a family member. For reference (and to help identify its specification) it's classed a the 'Early 2013' model of the 15.4" MacBook Pro Retina.

These later Macbook Pro's seem to be limited on inputs/outputs, no doubt for streamlining/size reasons. Once I have researched and purchased the appropriate waveform editing software (you cannot get my beloved Cool Edit Pro for Mac - *sad face*) I wish to know how I can feed an analogue audio signal into my Macbook, say for recording vinyl.

I wish to use the 'record out' line level signal from my amp.

The crux of my query is simply connectivity, as I'm struggling to find info on how my Mac can receive the signal.

I'm getting conflicting info online - some sources are saying I'll need a seperate USB interface module (analogue to digital converter with a USB output), to allow the signal to be input to the Mac via the USB port.

Other info I've found suggests that the headphone jack (the only analogue port on the entuire machine) is switchable (from output to input) and can in fact be used as an analog input. However this only made reference to the 13" model specifcally and I cannot find anything to suggest the 15" models have the same switchable port.

Obviously the latter would be my initial preferance as I dont need to buy a seperate interface and can get going recordinmg straight away with only the need for a dual phono to 3.5mm cable (and recording software obviously). Happy days.

Another related question which may need a bit more of a nerdy type to answer...
If the headphone port is output only, and I must use the USB port as my input... is a USB port capable of taking an analogue stereo signal through its 4 pins? Or is a it purely digital port? Reason I ask, if the answer is NO, the ADC conversion will have to be done outboard (separate analogue phono>ADC>USB output module), and so I should aim to buy a good quality ADC module. If however the answer is YES (and the USB port can take an analogue input), I will have to rely on the quality of the Macbooks own soundcard ADC.

Being an audiophile of sorts, knowing the above allows me to influence the best quality equipment to choose for the ADC stage.

On a final note, I should add I'm not looking to record my vinyl in the very finest audiophile quality possible (I have the actual vinyl to play for that!), I'm just looking for a way to record and catalogue some of my collection for digital storage and sampling.

Any help in advance HUGELY appreciated, really struggling to find out the specifics about how my Macbook can receive an analogue signal (if at all) or whether I must perform the ADC conversion outboard.

Keith

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cool Edit Pro became Adobe Audition and has been available on the Mac for several years, latterly as part of Adobe Creative Cloud. I don't know if the input in your MBP is switchable from line out to line in, but even if it is, I would recommend something like the Behringer UCA222 which has a perfectly adequate built-in ADC (and DAC), providing you're not wanting studio-quality results. You can link the inputs on the UCA222 straight to the outputs on yor amp. In fact if your amp has a tape loop you can effectively wire the UCA222 into the tape loop and treat your computer as a digital recorder/player (ie it will record and play through your amp).

If you don't want to subscribe to Adobe CC there are a good few alternatives to consider, some of them free, such as as Audacity, and even Garageband which came free with your Mac.

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for the info.

I'm so glad I can still use Cool Edit, now that I know I'm looking for Adobe Audition!

It was 13 years since I was at music production college and had no idea it had changed - I've not kept up with the scene, evidently.

The Berenginer looks ideal too.

Thank you very much for the advice, I can get started now.

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Again, thanks for the info Fubar - Audition now installed, and much more advanced than when I used Cool Edit all those years back - incredible what is possible with software these days!

To update, after exhaustive research, I can confirm the 15" retina Macbook Pro's do not allow any audio input through the headphone socket. This leaves me no option but to buy an outboard audio/USB interface.

The Behringer as suggested above seemed a good cheap solution, but I felt the quality to be lacking somewhat.

After more research, the best sub £100 solution I can find appears the be the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (£79). Very nicely built and allows both a mic (via XLR) and instrument input (switchable between line or high impeadance). Each has its own gain knob, with a useful LED halo indicator around so that it can be adjusted to avoid any clipping/distortion. Outputs are headphone, analogue phono (to loop) and digital USB - the digital being 24-bit resolution with 96k sample rates and a dynamic ramge over 105dB. Amazing for the money.

I will be purchasing and using this to allow the recording of vinyl directly into my Macbook's USB, and using Audition to edit. Very happy.

iMark

Over the last couple of years Apple has very quietly removed all digital audio inputs from their computers with the exception of the Mac Mini. It even surprised people at the Apple Store when I asked where the digital audio inputs had gone

One way to go is to get an older Mac on the second hand market or get a USB-based ADC.

I use my MacBook from 2007 for recording and I use a Sony Minidisc deck as ADC. It works very well. I use VinylStudio as recording software. It's got some good features like hum and hiss filters and decent click and pop repair. It also does quite well with looking up titles and artwork.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Personally I think that hires recording for LP is a ridiculous waste of hard drive space. I record in 16/44.1 Apple Lossless and that manages to capture the audio of the record very well. After post-processing the records sound cleaner and have incredible bass compared to the same album on Spotify or CD.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm interested in how people are getting on with this. I got myself a Behringer UCA-222, which is neat, but it seems there is no way to control input level on a Mac. Has anyone found a solution or a work around?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
iMark said:
AFAIK you can set the gain control in the individual applications. I can set the input level in Vinyl Studio. You can also do this in Audactity and other apps.

... you can't if it's a USB input. I don't know whether it was possible in earlier versions of Mac OS X, but it isn't possible now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts