Which is the best small tv for my hard of hearing Mum

bondbayb

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Mum has suddenly lost most of her hearing and she really relies on her tv.

Until her hearing aids are sorted, I need to get her a tv with good speakers.

I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you. *smile*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bondbayb said:
Mum has suddenly lost most of her hearing and she really relies on her tv.

Until her hearing aids are sorted, I need to get her a tv with good speakers.

I would appreciate some advice.

Thank you. *smile*

Not enough detail in your request for anyone to be able to help. Define "small". Budget?

bondbayb

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
My Mum needs a tv for the kitchen, and the quality of speakers with sound projection is most important. She has an old Samsung flat screen about 26inch I think, but the sound is really tinny, and I think it would help if the sound was at the front, but I'm really not sure. A reasonally good make for an OAP, up to £300 perhaps, it is an important part of her life, so she will make the call.

Thank you.*smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Is the sound the only problem on the Samsung, if so, I'd suggest adding some kind of soundbar. There are small soundbars that will clip onto the tv if there is nowhere for a soundbar to sit, though they won't be high quality, they will improve the basic sound from the tv.

Tv wise, you could try this http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx24c300b/pana-tx24c300b, but you'd probably need a soundbar with that too. Most small tvs wll have poorish sound to be honest.

bondbayb

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your advice, I will look into the soundbar option, I think that there may be a gap in the market for this type of need.

The same applies to telephones, for which there is not much choice for the older consumer.

Gray

Also, don't forget the good old SCART socket which will (Almost certainly) still be there on the back of your Mum's set. (If no RCA sockets fitted) SCART to RCA adapter or make your own lead? (Left pin 3, Right pin 1, Screen pin 4)

That gives you a stereo analogue line level output to feed any amplified speakers - you may have an old pair of computer speakers knocking about (unlikely to be worse sound than the telly?) or you could even feed the aux input of a mini/midi system? - maybe no need to spend anything to achieve superior sound.

Downside with this idea is that SCART output doesn't vary with TV volume adjustment, so volume control would need to be done on speakers / hi-fi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts