Which floor standers to compliment Kef surrounds?!?

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone

I'm about to move to a bigger place and I'd like to upgrade my home cinema to 7.1 Dolby True HD. My reciever already supports this and I have 5.1 already, but wondered if you could recommend floor standers that would compliment what I have already. My Budget is about £750. Ideally less.

Receiver: Yamaha RXA2020

Current Speaker Package: KEF 3005SE. 4 surrounds, 1 centre and the circular subwoofer

I'm using a BENQ W1080ST short throw projector and currently throwing to a 300cm wide screen, but I'm likely to upgrade to at least 475cm wide since I have a large wall to use.

Its a double height open space (Barn conversion) and I really want to replicate the fully immersive audio I get at the IMAX. But obviously, the real thing is a few years away (fingers crossed).

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
its probably best to stick with the same brand but kef are not cheap and in truth you would have to get the matching centre,cheapest option would be the kef q series ie,q100 and q 200c,the q100 are standmount but its as close to your budget as possible,second hand would be worth a look.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
+1

You really do need the main front 3 speakers to have matching drivers. The centre speaker is equally as important as it's a very busy channel in most surround mixes.

I wouldn't discount standmount speakers. If you're used to the sound that satellites make, you might actually be surprisingly disappointed with floorstanders for movies. One of the benefits of smaller speakers in a surround set-up is their ability to steer effects around th room sharply and with precision. I'm not saying that floorstanders are inherantly inferior, just that they will produce a sound that has a very different balance to the one you're used to. Yes, there will be a much more fullsome midrange, but you might lose some of that speed, attack and excitement in the process. Also if you have floorstanders in your main left & right speakers and comparatively small satellites, it may not be easy to get the crossover right.

If you listened to a lot of 2-channel music too (so would be using the main left and right channels on their own a lot), then fair enough, but if you're determined to keep the KEFs you currently have, I'd agree with the suggestion made by dudeness.

TRENDING THREADS