Which dock?? Bose or B&W ???

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Im after a gd dock for the ipod and was cosidering either the 'BOSE sound dock portable' at 300 or the 'B&W zeppelin" at 400. I've heard the Bose in action and to be honest it sounded better than my setup at home.

Is there much difference in sound quality between the Bose and the B&W for the extra 100?

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
After hearing the Bose i was shocked at how good it sounded and as far as the B&W goes i've not heard it myself yet. I was going off the 5star rating that it's been given.

Any that u would reccomend???

A

Anonymous

May be totally irreverent, but if it's for personal use you could get a stunning headphone amp/headphones for this money...

A

Anonymous

Sorry I'm slow or unknowledgeable, probably both, but what does SQ mean?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Both are expensive for docks and you will probibly be better off with separates. But honestly the bose dock is utter tat (imo). The zepelin nails it in every regard. If you must have one of the two definataly buy the zepelin. It looks and sounds so much better.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Yeah sorry, it mean sound quality.

I used to do alot of incar audio stuff and thats what sound quality is refered too. 'SQ' sound quality - 'SPL' sound pressure level, etc.

But then i grew up, lol.

A

Anonymous

No problem, I'll remember that one next time I'm texting about sound quality.

As to your last question though I seriously doubt many people have spent time comparing the two. If you can test them together in the same shop, that would be ideal. If I were you I would spend my £400 far differently...

A

Anonymous

Except that I can't think of a better looking system, at that money, than the B&W. It's gorgeous. The only comparably gorgeous alternative is the much much more pricey Meridian F80. Now I want one of those!!!

A

Anonymous

Did you consider myÿsuggestion of headphones? I'm talking equaling £2-3000 systems for £400. Or do you have friends?

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
"the b&w rocks and goes deep - easilyfills a good sized room - great piece of kit - the bose is no where in comparison - you could also look at the fatman kit "

I second that! Get a fatman with some decent speakers from ebay. But again if it has to be the comprimise of a really compact dock. Nothing for the money gets close to a Zeplin.

John Duncan

matengawhat:easily fills a good sized room

.....with tat, that was my issue with it. Sucked all the midrange out. Or maybe I'm just deaf, since everybody else seems to like it.....
emotion-8.gif

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
The 'Bose' doesn't seem to be getting much credit. I thought that sounded pretty good, i cant wait to here the 'B&W' now.

Im using the latest version of itunes if that makes any difference??? and it's all being copied to my laptop using 'WAV'.

Im not interested in an amp and headphone setup but i think i'll give the 'fatman itube carbon a look' from what i've been reading it can be bought with out the speakers for 100 less which brings it down to 250 for the dock with just the speakers to buy.

If i was to go for the 'fatman' what speakers would i be lookin at??? something like the 'tannoy mercury f1's' or is it worth shelling out and going for the 'B&W 685s'

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if the Fatman is able to feed the B&W's with enough power. I actually - coincidently - heard a demo of the fatman with Monitor Audio BR2's and I thought it was a wonderful match. MA's can sound a bit harsh on the treble but not in this combo. The BR2's don't need much juice so that helped too I suppose.

A

Anonymous

What about the new Dali's mentioned in this months mag as 5* marvels. Dali Lektor 1. Sounds like something you'd buy in Ikea, but apparently they sound fab. £250 a pair but you'd be bound to be able to chip that a bit.

http://whathifi.co.uk/News/New-Dali-Lektor-speakers-due-out-this-autumn/

A

Anonymous

I love our Bose (the 2006 model in white) and the sound quality is amazing for the price - on the other hand, you could go with something like a Pioneer A-400 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and it would be a hell of alot better for much cheaper!

A

Anonymous

Oh and I repeat, DO NOT go for the B&W speakers with the fatman dock...DO NOT! Those speakers need atleast 70watts of decent, high ampage power to get the best from them! Anything with a sensitivity of 89db @1w/1m or under is a no-no...try the Monitor Audios afore mentioned.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Oh and I repeat, DO NOT go for the B&W speakers with the fatman dock...DO NOT! Those speakers need atleast 70watts of decent, high ampage power to get the best from them! Anything with a sensitivity of 89db @1w/1m or under is a no-no...try the Monitor Audios afore mentioned.

Indeed. I can vouch for the Fatman iTube with the MA BR1's and Atacama stands....

447365734_bde73da5f7.jpg

Don't have it any more but it was an excellent set-up. (The Fatman is a great headphone amp as well.)

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Ok, so upto now i see options as either:

B&W Zeppelin - 400

Bose sound dock - 300

Fatman Carbon ( without speakers ) - 250. With a pair of the following speakers

DALI Lektor 1 - 100watt - 250

Tannoy Mercury F1 - 50watt - 110

Monitor Audio BR2 - 100watt - 100

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 - 100watt - 150

Roth Audio OLi1 - 100watt - 100

Am i right in sayin the pioneer amp that was mentioned was made in 1990???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts