Which Dac???

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Evening people

I'm currently saving up to upgrade my source. I'm hoping to buy a dac which will get the best from my Arcam A38 and Monitor Audio RX8's using a Squeezebox touch to stream music from a nas drive. I'm not sure of my budget yet as I want one that will get the best from my equipment but dont want to spend money on one that is above and beyond my set up.

Many thanks for you thoughts

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

In another magazine the sbt won a group test against much more expensive streamers. They suggested it punched well above its price and said the sound can be bettered using a stand alone dac. They suggested a system to partner the sbt which was rega dac, audiolab 8200 integrated amp and monitor audio gx200 speakers. I was just thinking that maybe a dac with my set up would make an improvement but not sure which one might suit my system.

Well I may set up some demos and try to find out

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ben K. said:
Thanks for the reply

In another magazine the sbt won a group test against much more expensive streamers. They suggested it punched well above its price and said the sound can be bettered using a stand alone dac. They suggested a system to partner the sbt which was rega dac, audiolab 8200 integrated amp and monitor audio gx200 speakers. I was just thinking that maybe a dac with my set up would make an improvement but not sure which one might suit my system.

Well I may set up some demos and try to find out

Ben, I had the Arcam rDAC with my Monitor Audio RX6 and my first solid state Vincent amplifier. After buying the squeezebox I decided to sell back the rDAC as it wasn't improving things at all in my systems. I couldn't really feel the difference, sometimes I felt I preferred the SBT with its internal DAC.

So my suggestion is to enjoy the SBT in your system for now without spending on any DAC as you got yourself an exceptional piece of kit for the price. If you are still interested in getting a DAC just follow my thread on the digital source as I got now a better amplifier and will start adding DACs after the SBT to see when things start to improve...I will probably be starting by the Rega DAC

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts.

I was thinking of demoing the rega dac and audiolab mdac so would be interested to hear how you get on if you try either of these. I wasnt sure if moving up a level to dacs such as benchmark dac 1 and m2 tech young would make more of my system or over kill and wasted money?

Good luck with your venture I'll be keeping my eye out

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If I read your post correctly than you don't have a SB Touch right now. In that case my suggestion would be very simple: by the SB Touch has it is a very capable and very user friendly streamer. And if you want to improve on sound later on you can add a DAC to it. And yes, in that case I would recommend to put the Rega DAC on your audition list.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
If I read your post correctly than you don't have a SB Touch right now. In that case my suggestion would be very simple: by the SB Touch has it is a very capable and very user friendly streamer. And if you want to improve on sound later on you can add a DAC to it. And yes, in that case I would recommend to put the Rega DAC on your audition list.

+1.

Absolutely...get the SB Touch first and you will be surprised by the quality of this piece of kit. I have the feeling you won't be looking for a DAC after...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:

Just out of curiosity, do you think the Rega DAC added a lot to the already good quality of the SBT? As I have ready meany controversial posts on that...thanks!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
spockfish said:

Just out of curiosity, do you think the Rega DAC added a lot to the already good quality of the SBT? As I have ready meany controversial posts on that...thanks!

I never connected the SBT directly to the amp, because i've bought first the Rega DAC. But the other day i did it... And at first, I thought hummmm no DAC needed here... But then, i start to ask my self: where is the depth? the bass extension? the detail? the analogue touch...? And wasn't there! Ok the 550€ were well spent!

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well... this is just personal of course. But to me it did. Although I think this has more to do with the Rega DAC being (at least for me) very good than the SB Touch being bad. It's in the details. The DAC makes it sound... not like a streamer. I don't know how to say it properly as English is not my native language. But it sounds more 'analogue' if you know what I mean.

The biggest difference is with High Res audio. I get the impression that on that area the SB Touch (due to raw processing power I guess) is 'struggling' a little bit. With a DAC it's get 'airy' again.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The market ia awash with DAC's, every man and his dog is makeing them.

Flavour of the month:

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/metrum_octave_e.html

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
shooter said:
The market ia awash with DAC's, every man and his dog is makeing them.

Flavour of the month:

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/metrum_octave_e.html

This would be probably a giant-killer DAC if only they would be more flexible in terms of company. I tried once to contact them to see if I could buy and then send it back the item if not convinced and they told me wasn't that possible as the DAC is so underpriced compared to competitors.

For me this is a very silly answer and the best way to get customers suspicious. If you are so confident about your product you should be even more willing to take it back if for any reason within a reasonable time the DAC is sent back in a brand new condition

A

Anonymous

+1 on the SBT is good but can be improved.

I found one of these S/H at half retail and am very pleased with it :

http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/dliii-dac/

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue34/psaudio_link.htm

TRENDING THREADS