which amp for bright speakers ???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi folks , im getting some mission speakers , probably a pair of m34is e300 , i will add a centre and rears at a later date , now ive been scouring the web for info on them , and the viewpoint seems to be that they are good , but sensitive and bright , i have not got a clue what the best kind of amp would be for these , as it seems each make has its own characteristics , im aware that matching with an unsuitable amp is not a good idea , ill be using them primarily for movies , but also for music , would anyone know what make would suit them best ?? ta..

As a rule, bright amps match with warm speakers & warm amps match with neutral or bright speakers.

What's your budget?

Denon & Yamaha should be your first receivers to demo. Avoid Pioneer which are bright sounding.

A

Anonymous

hi bb thanks for replying , ive got about e450 , which will get me a denon 1610 / 1910 , a yamaha rxv 565 / 765 , or an onkyo 507 / 607 or even a marantz sr5004 , i dont need upscaling or any gimmickey stuff , just acceptable movie , music performance with the missions ... cheers...

A

Anonymous

slewis:maxflinn i have put a comparison between the 1610 & 1910 on the other thread.seen that slewis thanks , it seems the 1910 has a slight power advantage , and can upscale to 1080p over hdmi , thats all that i could see ..i wonder if the 1610 could power the missions ?

A

Anonymous

bigboss:I would audition the Denon 1910, the Yamaha RX-V765 Onkyo 507 or 607, & then the Marantz, in that order. Definitely demo them & compare.cant demo the marantz , but i can the rest , to be honest i like the yamaha and denon .. would you rule out the 565 bb ?? and the 1610 ??

The Denon 1910 performs noticeably better in audio & music than the 1610. There's not much difference in the cost between the 565 & the 765 (about £24 difference on Amazon).......you might as well go for the better one.

A

Anonymous

ok , ill ring ahead on wednesday (have to go to cork to demo , about70miles) and make sure i can demo the 765 and the 1910 , shouldnt be a problem , ill buy whichever i like most , thanks guys...

A

Anonymous

just wondered , the floor of my lounge is tiled , directly over concrete , and the decor is quite minimal , will this have a bearing on the way certain speakers sound ??

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi mate

Yes, you will most likely get a more live sound, so with the missions will sound even brighter, I had a pair of mission 783 a while back and my front room as a neutral sound to it and the missions was bright with most CDS I played but still good.

If you clap your hands in your lounge does the sound echo a lot? If so, then I would consider other speakers then the missions, unless you can get the missions at a good price?

A

Anonymous

hi oo7 , there actually isnt an echo in my lounge , the house is timber framed , so no solid walls , all studwork , maybe that helps ..

yes the missions are a good price , well i think so anyway , e300 here in ireland , superfi uk are selling them for £290 ..

i like the size of them 950mm high , 220 wide and 330 deep , i feel they will look better stood either side of my plasma than little bookshelfs on skimpy stands , and money is very tight , i doubt ill get as much bang for my buck elswhere either ..

i also like the idea of big sound when playing cds
emotion-11.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi mate

I got my tannoy speakers from super fi there pretty good and they have some of the best prices, plus hyperfi do as well.

If your house is timber framed then you should have no problems at all, as for the missions I forgot I had another pair years ago and they was a little bright but had some great treble from there tweeters a little up front, but that's how I like my sound.

So I reckon you should be fine as long as you get the right amp and cables to match.

All the best mate.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
speakers apart, from all the amps i lestened before, i would always get denon.its the more balanced, and natural sounding to me.just power that doesnt grate.

A

Anonymous

007L2Thrill:
Hi mate

I got my tannoy speakers from super fi there pretty good and they have some of the best prices, plus hyperfi do as well.

If your house
is timber framed then you should have no problems at all, as for the missions I forgot I had another pair years ago and they was a little bright but had some great treble from there tweeters a little up front, but that's how I like my sound.

So I reckon you should be fine as long as you get the right amp and cables to match.

All the best mate.
i dont mind a bit of treble actually , i have the treble on my tv turned up high , and i always had it like that on walkmans over the years , so maybe a little brightness wont be a problem .. thanks again..
ill post my thoughts on here next week anyway ..

A

Anonymous

ear:speakers apart, from all the amps i lestened before, i would always get denon.its the more balanced, and natural sounding to me.just power that doesnt grate.yes many people like the denons , i think its one of them things where opinions will always differ , now i can see why everyones advice is to demo ..

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I always find yamaha av amps not to have good definition with sound.with music and voices it always sounds unatural and harsh.I am always afraid someone goes for one.for pioneer and onkyo I dont have anything againts, just find the denon to suit me more, kind of like the only one that doesnt have anything bad I can point out.I have Yamaha stereo amp the ax-397 wich i like very much.and ns-333 speakers, so dont have anything against the yamaha brand.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I also like treble, but some systems...give a..piercing sound.wich is a bit different from what we would call (and like) detailded sound.

A

Anonymous

i dont , and im not even sure if they sound bright , ive read so many opinions on them this last few days , i was bound to find some bad feedback i think.. an owner of some missions said earlier they were not at all bright ..
emotion-7.gif

im on a tight budget , and want big floorstanding speakers that are inexpensive , the missions at e300 the pair fit the bill , ill add to them later , they are local to me here in ireland , so at the moment they just make sense ..

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:ear:yes many people like the denons , i think its one of them things where opinions will always differ , now i can see why everyones advice is to demo ..

You are right, everyone opinions are different in sound, I mean I have a DENON 2500-BT blu ray player great sounding machine, but the DENON 2310 Amp when I listened to it just sounded a little over warm and on films what made me say no was the centre channel speaker just sounded a little congested.

So in the end I went for an onkyo 875, when I got it home got all my Russ Andrews plus Kimber Kables on it and my earth spikes it now sounds fantastic with a powerful but natural sound but never bright, but take away the earth spikes and cables and the amp is bright sounding. So even if you get your speakers home and they sound a little bright there is loads to do to make them sound natural, I mean my missions 783 I use to have was one of the best speakers I ever had.

Let me know how you get on as I would love to know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts