Where to start?

maatty

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
So I am looking to setup a new HiFi system, in the past I have just bought systems from say Sony... I want something that is loud but also provides a good level of detail and nice smooth bass.

I was wondering where is the best place to start? Also a HiFi system like this "http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/hi-fi-systems/shake-5" looks brilliant but I can imagine it doesn't provide much level of detail and so much bass.

Any recommendations?

jjbomber

maatty said:
So I am looking to setup a new HiFi system, in the past I have just bought systems from say Sony... I want something that is loud but also provides a good level of detail and nice smooth bass.

I was wondering where is the best place to start? Also a HiFi system like this "http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/hi-fi-systems/shake-5" looks brilliant but I can imagine it doesn't provide much level of detail and so much bass.

Any recommendations?

Keeping it simple, how much do you want to spend? What are your priorities, i.e. sound detail, bass, pretty light? What source(s) will you use (CD, streaming, bluetooth phone, laptop etc)

rainsoothe

jjbomber said:
maatty said:

Any recommendations?

Keeping it simple, how much do you want to spend? What are your priorities, i.e. sound detail, bass, pretty light? What source(s) will you use (CD, streaming, bluetooth phone, laptop etc)

this + roomsize :)

maatty

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok basically my budget is £800 maximum, I am looking for a system where I could probably have 4 speakers connected to as I want to spread them around different rooms.

The room sizes are small, they are not big rooms, probably an average home living room size so nothing huge.

I want something with a good level of detail and light bass, I don't want an extreme thump of bass that over powers the song.

A

Anderson

Can't be done with 4 speakers for £800, well it could but the speakers would be ****!

But I think you could just about do it.

You could get two pairs of Q acoustic speakers. Have a look, they aren't that expensive.

Or look at bargains on richer sounds..

Marantz amps may do what you need, I'd go for a second hand arcam, with two sets of binding posts,

then use whatever is left for cd, or use a laptop ..

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you'll have to put the multi-room thing on the back burner for a while, because £800 isn't going to get you there.

What will your source(s) be? If you're using a PC/Mac to play CD rips, you could do pretty well with £800 for your main room, e.g. a pair of active speakers like this or this. (N.b. the former are priced per pair, the latter for a single speaker.) They won't win any beauty prizes for their looks, but they'll sound great given that you say your rooms are quite small.

Add a Sonos Connect and you're good to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts