When are the AVI ADM40s coming and how much will they be ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
J

jcbrum

Ajani said:
I suspect AVI are just being ultra-conservative by releasing the 40s as special order. My hope is that they will drop the special order nonsense as soon as sales for the 40s reach a level they are comfortable with. Otherwise they do risk losing potential buyers, as many persons are not willing to buy blind with no return option.

From what I have seen, during several factory visits, ADM40s are made to order.

When sufficient orders have been received a batch of cabinets is ordered in the specified finishes, and the requisite electronics are constructed. Assembly, testing, and despatch then follows.

The requirement for 'made to order' sorts out two important factors. It differentiates between serious buyers and 'time wasters', and it avoids unnecessary and expensive idle inventory.

It seems to me that AVI are entitled to run their business as they see fit, and they have been very successful for the last 20 years or so, in spite of the trend in HiFi markets. They don't seem to have any shortage of orders, or of satisfied customers.

JC

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Ajani said:
I suspect AVI are just being ultra-conservative by releasing the 40s as special order. My hope is that they will drop the special order nonsense as soon as sales for the 40s reach a level they are comfortable with. Otherwise they do risk losing potential buyers, as many persons are not willing to buy blind with no return option.

When sufficient orders have been received a batch of cabinets is ordered in the specified finishes, and the requisite electronics are constructed. Assembly, testing, and despatch then follows.

The requirement for 'made to order' sorts out two important factors. It differentiates between serious buyers and 'time wasters', and it avoids unnecessary and expensive idle inventory.

It seems to me that AVI are entitled to run their business as they see fit, and they have been very successful for the last 20 years or so, in spite of the trend in HiFi markets. They don't seem to have any shortage of orders, or of satisfied customers.

JC

I am not convinced that your argument that made to order seperates serious buyers and time wasters holds water . How many people are able to spend £3-4000 on a pair of speakers on a whim and then send them back knowing that they will have to incur return postage charges ? Not many I bet .

In addition , as these are a very new product , there will be no idle inventory as they will be taking new orders every day . Even then there will be their existing retailers who will want to sell them .

You are absolutely right , they are entitled to run their company how they want , it just seems mean spirited to use the law in this way when most other companies are more that happy to accept returns on products they sell that haven't been heard before buying .

A

Anonymous

shropshire lad said:
jcbrum said:
Ajani said:

JC

I am not convinced that your argument that made to order seperates serious buyers and time wasters holds water . How many people are able to spend £3-4000 on a pair of speakers on a whim and then send them back knowing that they will have to incur return postage charges ? Not many I bet .

In addition , as these are a very new product , there will be no idle inventory as they will be taking new orders every day . Even then there will be their existing retailers who will want to sell them .

You are absolutely right , they are entitled to run their company how they want , it just seems mean spirited to use the law in this way when most other companies are more that happy to accept returns on products they sell that haven't been heard before buying .
Many owners of ADMs are usually happy to let someone have a listen if you're nearby.

J

jcbrum

daveh75 said:
ooh.. said:
Many owners of ADMs are usually happy to let someone have a listen if you're nearby.

Fine if you live close to someone with a pair, but owners doing AVIs job for them isn't really an adequate solution...

AVI are happy to demo their loudspeakers, by audition, at any time by appointment.

Ashley usually does it in his own home environment, and AVI usually provides lunch at favourite local restaurants.

AVI have their own direct sales outlet.

The ADM40 loudspeakers are not usually available at dealers because the price does not include any amount to pay the dealer.

I have been told that some dealers can order them, but since there is only one price, they will have to pay the same price as anyone else.

I understand a couple of dealers have sold them, and presumably came to an arrangement with their customer regarding a charge for their services.

Seems ok to me.

JC

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
daveh75 said:
ooh.. said:

Fine if you live close to someone with a pair, but owners doing AVIs job for them isn't really an adequate solution...

AVI are happy to demo their loudspeakers, by audition, at any time by appointment.

Ashley usually does it in his own home environment, and AVI usually provides lunch at favourite local restaurants.

The ADM40 loudspeakers are not usually available at dealers because the price does not include any amount to pay the dealer.

I have been told that some dealers can order them, but since there is only one price, they will have to pay the same price as anyone else.

I understand a couple of dealers have sold them, and presumably came to an arrangement with their customer regarding a charge for their services.

Seems ok to me.

JC

And for AVI's overseas customer (which according to the AVI website is "where the majority will go")? Are we expected to fly to england to audition at AVI's factory? Or maybe fly to the nearest country where there is an owner with a pair of 40's?

daveh75

jcbrum said:

Fine if you're close by.

It would mean a 600 mile round trip for me, so more time and money than i'd prepaired to invest just to demo a pair of speakers (or any 'hifi' equipment for that matter).

I know. I wouldn't personally be prepaired to spend £3750 on a whim.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Ajani said:

JC

They are free to run their business as they see fit and consumers are free to criticise it as we see fit.

I see no difference in the variety of finishes or customization (or more accurately lack of cusomization) options for the 40 or 9T. The only logical reason I can see for special order is that the 40s are a lot more expensive and AVI is afraid to tie up their cashflow by holding stock. So I expect that once they are confident of the demand for the 40s they will start to stock it like the 9Ts and sell with the same return option.

As for differentiating between serious buyers and 'time wasters' - according to Ashley they've had less than a half dozen returns in around 3000 orders of the 9T. So clearly time wasters are NOT an issue for them.

J

jcbrum

Ajani said:
As for differentiating between serious buyers and 'time wasters' - according to Ashley they've had less than a half dozen returns in around 3000 orders of the 9T. So clearly time wasters are NOT an issue for them.

I think your figure of 3000 orders is out of date. That figure was passed some considerable time ago.

As far avoiding time wasters is concerned, - their policies seem to be working.

JC

J

jcbrum

daveh75 said:

I don't think that AVI wish to cater for customers who 'purchase on a whim' and then change their mind 'on a whim'.

Perhaps you are the type of customer they are seeking to avoid ?

JC

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
jcbrum said:

Fine if you're close by.

It would mean a 600 mile round trip for me, so more time and money than i'd prepaired to invest just to demo a pair of speakers (or any 'hifi' equipment for that matter).

So don't buy them.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED BY JD]

Jcbrum is a close mate of Ashley James. He regularly shills AVI products on other forums, notably pinkfishmedia. Take everything he says with a huge grain of salt. AVI make decent products. don't understand why they descend to this level for their marketing.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED BY JD]

altruistic.lemon said:
Jcbrum is a close mate of Ashley James. He regularly shills AVI products on other forums, notably pinkfishmedia. Take everything he says with a huge grain of salt. AVI make decent products. don't understand why they descend to this level for their marketing.

Aha! I did wonder that the descent into personal attacks seemed overdue! Well done, Mr Lemon.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED BY JD]
altruistic.lemon wrote:

Another bitter and unneccessary comment by yourself. Does this negativity pervade your non virtual life as well?

I pity you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:

Just curious, as I'm trying to understand it - a dealer can order them for their customers for the same price their customers would pay buying direct? So the dealer has to charge £3k (rrp) plus VAT minimum?

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:
Tidied up (sigh)...

Thanks JD.

FH, I don't speak for AVI, but I was asked by the customer of a dealer in Birmingham, who knew that I was shortly going to audition the ADM40s, whether I could persuade Ashley to supply his dealer.

I asked the question, and was told there was only one ex-works price, and it was the same for everyone, dealers included. No dealer margin has been built in to the price.

Therefore it's a level playing field, for all customers, and I presume if a dealer wishes to accomodate his customer, he can suggest an appropriate charge for the service rendered.

JC

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
daveh75 said:

I don't think that AVI wish to cater for customers who 'purchase on a whim' and then change their mind 'on a whim'.

Perhaps you are the type of customer they are seeking to avoid ?

JC

but if AVI's products are half as successful as they claim on their forum (like a handful of returns in 3000 orders) why would they be so cautious as not to offer all of their products with option to retuning? I mean there would be no returns anyway since everybody would be falling in love with their new "on a whim" purchase from the very first notes heard played by the speakers? no?

J

jcbrum

Oldric, I think you are placing a construction on it which simply doesn't exist.

It's simply the way that the distance selling regulations work.

A friend of mine recently ordered a new Mercedes Benz. He bought it on the basis of his specification by choosing from the options list, and collected personally from the factory in Germany and drove it home to the UK.

I don't think Mercedes would have entertained him saying 'I don't like it'. He did however think it was wonderful. He also said that a convertible model had been released since he ordered, so he might sell it and order that instead.

I think that AVI loudspeakers have an even stronger resale value than Mercedes cars, although I have not researched it.

JC

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Oldric, I think you are placing a construction on it which simply doesn't exist.

It's simply the way that the distance selling regulations work.

A friend of mine recently ordered a new Mercedes Benz. He bought it on the basis of his specification by choosing from the options list, and collected personally from the factory in Germany and drove it home to the UK.

I don't think Mercedes would have entertained him saying 'I don't like it'. He did however think it was wonderful. He also said that a convertible model had been released since he ordered, so he might sell it and order that instead.

I think that AVI loudspeakers have an even stronger resale value than Mercedes cars, although I have not researched it.

JC

We bought a new car unseen last year, but had the opportunity to test drive it - and several alternatives - at a wide range of local dealerships before we committed to buy.

Consumers should have the chance to try before they buy, IMO - but I admire the fact AVI encourages existing owners of its product to offer that service to prospective customers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts