When are the AVI ADM40s coming and how much will they be ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Been thinking about active speakers for a while. The new AVI floorstanders make things really interesting. Hoping it will simplify things for me. Too many variables in a passive set up. I'd go Sonos - speakers.

A

Anonymous

Richard, black ash, cherry and walnut will be available in three weeks at £3k per pair. You can email Ash for more details.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
As much as I love my setup I've been monitoring the adm40 situation and I'm very interested. I love the idea of them being an all in one package which would enable me to lose so many boxes, and like Richard I would just hook up my Sonos. I also like AVI's ethos and i'd like to think that the claims behind the performance are true, in which case i should be making an upgrade. However i'm not willing to blow £3k speculatively. So I'm planning to try and find a second hand pair of ADM9Ts and see how they stack up against my system. If I like what they do then I'm going to order some ADM40s. Either way I figure I can sell the '9Ts on without losing anything. If I do get the '40s, then I think I'll actually be in profit after selling my existing gear.

I really like my Naim gear and on the whole I'm happy with the sound, but I can't help feeling that I will never be able to break the upgradeitis cycle whilst there are (deliberately) so many upgrade paths.

I'm also mindful that in as little as a year or two, if kids come along, then having such a large system with so many attractive lights and so many knobs, drawers and buttons to mess with, will not be very practical.

I may even ditch my surround sound system and just go back to stereo for AV, or maybe buy a sound bar. I heard the Yamaha 2200 at a mates the other day and I was impressed.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Yeah. I saw that thread but not being sold on AVIs website.

I'm a proud owner of a pair of ADM40s fed by a Squeezebox Touch, feel free to ask any questions...

You're right, AVI haven't updated their site yet, but they are available to order. Btw, I used to own GS10s as well, before moving on to PL100s. I'm sure sure you'd find the AVIs a big step up from the GS10s, I did...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Whereas changes I've made to my HT have made it better and better. With the hi fi it's a lot more frustrating (one step forward, one back). I really like the idea of AVIs, I'm not sure 9Ts will give me what I want and the 40s sound perfect. I didn't realise how close to the AVI factory I live (about 1/2 hour) and a dealer in Cirencester (20 mins) so a demo is a definite. £3k seems a lot, but I guess my current setup with stand could get half way to it.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
AVI have just launched a revised ADM9, I haven't heard it, but unlike the last revision, AVI are claiming a significant improvement. As you're so close to AVI HQ I guess you can try out 9s, 9s + sub and then 40s to see if any of them do it for you, just drop AVI an email, their address is on their site, and I'm sure the owner will try to help with a demo if at all possible.

If you do go along, be sure to report back, I'd be interested to see how you get on.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to approach the local dealer first in the hope of a possible trade in of my cuurrent kit.

I wish trading had started up on here. It was talked about but seems to have been dropped.

The more I look into it, the AVI solution seems what I'm after.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
The more I look into it, the AVI solution seems what I'm after.

I had felt the same twice till now. First time an year or two back. I was back then into stand mounts and ADM9T, on paper, was ideal. So few boxes and a proper good SQ. However after an audition, I realised that the 'house sound' of AVI ADM 9T is not for me as it was too analytical to my taste.

Recently when I am trying to get my HiFi a new life, I considered the active routes again but this time with Floor standers. I tried Xeo 5, Adam floor standers (Coloumn) and some other brands (but not ADM 40s) only to realise the musical fun that I am having even with my modest set up is not translated directly. Somewhere the magic got lost. Since the M-DAC is always used, I figured out that the active speakers are too accurate and some how the fun part is missing.

My wife has no clue about the gear but when I take her for auditions, she is the fastest to pick up the most musical combination. Ofcourse, I managed a few times to cloud her head by giving too many A/Bs in a given day.

My point is some how active speaker manufactures seem to be after something else when it comes to reproducing the sound when compared to the main stream HiFi makes. I know that I have not tried everything in actives (nor in passive route). Also, I am desperate to be proven wrong with ADM40s given their capabilities on paper as well as great reviews (well, great reviews was not a problem even with ADM 9Ts). Tthough I am not really sold on the looks of ADM40s.

So, all I am saying, if at all I am saying anything, is please do not park all your hopes on ADM 40s till the time you get to listen to them. I wish that you love the ADM 40s as I consider your current set up to be musical (Though I only know your amp and DAC pretty well) so I can also follow your lead on the ADM 40s !!

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
richardw42 said:
Yeah. I saw that thread but not being sold on AVIs website.

.... Btw, I used to own GS10s as well, before moving on to PL100s. I'm sure sure you'd find the AVIs a big step up from the GS10s, I did...

As a matter of interest how did you find the upgrade from the GS10s to the PL100s?

ADM40s look interesting as an option for my (very) long term upgrade plans. What cabling is required between pre-amp and active monitors; just good speaker cable or more expensive phono leads?

What would be a sensible price of pre amp to get best overall value sound quality from something like the ADM40s, eg MF M1clic or MF M6pre?

daveh75

Kevin Stephens said:
ADM40s look interesting as an option for my (very) long term upgrade plans. What cabling is required between pre-amp and active monitors; just good speaker cable or more expensive phono leads?

What would be a sensible price of pre amp to get best overall value sound quality from something like the ADM40s, eg MF M1clic or MF M6pre?

ADM40s include a DAC/Pre, (with four optical and two analogue inputs, IIRC)

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
As a matter of interest how did you find the upgrade from the GS10s to the PL100s?

The upgrade from GS10s to PL100s was certainly noticeable and an improvement. Compared to speakers I auditioned at the time, I thought the PLs had good bass control and nicely detailed midrange and treble.

I should say that, for me, both speakers sound a bit boomy and fuzzy now I'm used to actives - but then again so do all passives I've heard. Also, don't discount the 9s just because the 40s have come out, they might give you exactly what you want.

Although most actives require a Pre-amp, AVI's have a Pre-amp and DAC built in and come with all the cables you need.

Btw, cables to an active speaker are low level, so cables are shielded RCA or XLR cables, not speaker cable, but don't need to be expensive (IMO).

Hope that helps?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Spoke to DANIELS TV today and arranged demo of the 40s and 9s (with and without sub). They have already sold a pair of 40s. They haven't any in atm, but have my number. Unfortunately the only hi fi they stock is AVI and are not interest in a Trade in. So eBay it'll have to be :). The GS10s are now much happier with a sub in my HT. Just put on a Heather Nova CD on my hi fi and the RS6s seem a better match with my Roksan IMO. They've given up some detail and sq but the increase in LF is noticeable. However the AVIs are still my goal. Hope the demo goes well.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Early day tomorrow so just a quickie for now. Demoed the 9Ts and 40s today. And WOW. I'll do a proper post tomorrow night or Friday.

Very interested to hear your experience with these Richard!

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
I'm a proud owner of a pair of ADM40s fed by a Squeezebox Touch, feel free to ask any questions...

Should we go back to calling 'Snickers' bars 'Marathon' just for this year, since it is the Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
atticus said:
WinterRacer said:

Should we go back to calling 'Snickers' bars 'Marathon' just for this year, since it is the Olympics and the Diamond Jubilee?

Not exactly what I had in mind, but yes, that's definitely a good idea :)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Do please share your experiences as soon as you can tear yourself away! Mine are on order and i'll be using them with a ZP90, exactly the same as you, so very interested to hear your impressions Richard.

Cheers

Dan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts