When are the AVI ADM40s coming and how much will they be ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
£3000, just order a pair and they'll be made for you. Forget returns though, because as they're made to order AVI don't have to take them back if you don't like them (unless they have a fault). Worth bearing in mind if you can't get to a demo. On the other hand, they're apparently brilliant. The choice is yours. :)

Yep... I am unimpressed with the whole "no returns" thing... But, I suspect that by the time I'd be ready to order a pair (no time soon), they'll be in-stock and not custom orders.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Haven't youse guys worked it out yet? You can't compare the magic AVIs with other speakers, since that's not the selling model. Instead you walk into the AVI den, get given tea, biscuits and propaganda, and walk out with the greatest speakers on earth - except you've never compared them with anything else so you don't know. Classic scam.

Also, does it not seem odd that there are a few threads on forums other than this suddenly appearing about the new AVI models and how brilliant they are - funny, that, isn't it? [EDITED BY JD - unsubstantiated allegations]

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Haven't youse guys worked it out yet? You can't compare the magic AVIs with other speakers, since that's not the selling model. Instead you walk into the AVI den, get given tea, biscuits and propaganda, and walk out with the greatest speakers on earth - except you've never compared them with anything else so you don't know. Classic scam.

Also, does it not seem odd that there are a few threads on forums other than this suddenly appearing about the new AVI models and how brilliant they are - funny, that, isn't it? [EDITED BY JD - unsubstantiated allegations]

What a mean-spirited post.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Welcome my friend, and it's good to have you back! BTW. I'm still waiting patiently for the pictures of your little DIY project. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

A highly cynical view, but a decent discount would make them even better VFM.

Where do I sign up? I'm off to buy a winning scratchcard tomorrow. :pray:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I've heard avis at a dealer, in comparison with several others in the same price range and they were good and imo the best of the bunch. Not the 40s though but they are 'the bigger model' and more expensive so if 40s are not better then smth is wrong.

Lack of options to hear them and no returns approach is a strong negative though, I agree.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
atticus said:
altruistic.lemon said:

AL is OK when you get to know him.....but he's a "straight talkin' Aussie", so you have to make allowances! :grin:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If one buys smth without comparing with others, whos fault is that?

threads on forums and news in mags also appear when manufacturers send out a press release. When threads appear just because customers are happy, in my book, is a good sign.

altruistic.lemon said:

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
atticus said:
altruistic.lemon said:

AL is OK when you get to know him.....but he's a "straight talkin' Aussie", so you have to make allowances! :grin:

That post is not good. By any standard.

T

the record spot

There was, for a while on this forum, a big trend for a certain type of gear being plugged by some contributors. I often came away thinking that the only speakers out there were a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s, or a pair of BX2s with an Arcam Alpha 10.

Consequently, I'm not quite sure why that is any different from the points alluded to below.

altruistic.lemon said:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Made me spit out my tea. :rofl:

Cant help but think if this was a 'pro passive' thread this would have been tame by comparison tho ;)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
the record spot said:
£3000, just order a pair and they'll be made for you. Forget returns though, because as they're made to order AVI don't have to take them back if you don't like them (unless they have a fault). Worth bearing in mind if you can't get to a demo. On the other hand, they're apparently brilliant. The choice is yours. :)

Yep... I am unimpressed with the whole "no returns" thing... But, I suspect that by the time I'd be ready to order a pair (no time soon), they'll be in-stock and not custom orders.

To me the " no returns" policy because they are made to order sounds like a cynical way of getting around the requirement of accepting returns for distance selling . Being made to order implies that there are a bunch of speaker making elves sitting around drinking tea and playing cards waiting for for the boss to hand them a piece of paper telling them to jump into action aa they have suddenly got an order for one pair of speakers . I don't think so . Surely there is some sort of production line producing all the ADM40s that they can in order to satisfy demand ( and projected demand) and at the end of the production line a sticker is slapped on a pair of speakers with the name of the recipient on them . The only way that it could be classed as a " made to order" pair of speakers is if they were not Walnut , Black Ash or Cherry and an interruption in the production line was necessary .

If most other companies are more than happy to accept returns , AVI are not really doing their image much good if they are not prepared to do the same . I'm fully prepared to believe that their products are as good as they claim , and I am very keen to listen to them when I am in the position to do so , but to put such a restriction on purchasing a pair of the ADM40s seems unnecessary , to me .

Having said that , I hope they sell like hotcakes so that when I get around to "going active" , I'll be able to listen to some without to much trouble .

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully as they get more widespread with a bigger customer base DSRs will apply.

Im very lucky that I live so close to AVI, otherwise I don't think I'd have spent the money I don't blame people, it's a big amount of money and as I said before a leap f faith.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Hopefully as they get more widespread with a bigger customer base DSRs will apply.

Im very lucky that I live so close to AVI, otherwise I don't think I'd have spent the money I don't blame people, it's a big amount of money and as I said before a leap f faith.

So can I come around to your house and listen to yours ?

T

the record spot

shropshire lad said:
Ajani said:
the record spot said:

To me the " no returns" policy because they are made to order sounds like a cynical way of getting around the requirement of accepting returns for distance selling . Being made to order implies that there are a bunch of speaker making elves sitting around drinking tea and playing cards waiting for for the boss to hand them a piece of paper telling them to jump into action aa they have suddenly got an order for one pair of speakers . I don't think so . Surely there is some sort of production line producing all the ADM40s that they can in order to satisfy demand ( and projected demand) and at the end of the production line a sticker is slapped on a pair of speakers with the name of the recipient on them . The only way that it could be classed as a " made to order" pair of speakers is if they were not Walnut , Black Ash or Cherry and an interruption in the production line was necessary .

If most other companies are more than happy to accept returns , AVI are not really doing their image much good if they are not prepared to do the same . I'm fully prepared to believe that their products are as good as they claim , and I am very keen to listen to them when I am in the position to do so , but to put such a restriction on purchasing a pair of the ADM40s seems unnecessary , to me .

Having said that , I hope they sell like hotcakes so that when I get around to "going active" , I'll be able to listen to some without to much trouble .

In fairness, this isn't a cynical ploy by AVI, but applies across the board; items which are made to order can't be treated in the same way as goods manufactured in their thousands and sold to the department stores, or hifi shops. Once AVI have sufficient numbers in to supply from stock however, that's a different story. Unless they're all going to be made to order that is.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
shropshire lad said:
Ajani said:
the record spot said:

In fairness, this isn't a cynical ploy by AVI, but applies across the board; items which are made to order can't be treated in the same way as goods manufactured in their thousands and sold to the department stores, or hifi shops. Once AVI have sufficient numbers in to supply from stock however, that's a different story. Unless they're all going to be made to order that is.

If I read it correctly on their website , AVI are making the ADM 40s in batches , be it 10, 50 , 100 or whatever , which implies to me that they will be making that many whether they have orders for them or not , knowing full well that they will sell them all come what may . So if they make a batch of say 50 but only have orders for 48 will the two remaining pairs then become stock and therefore not made to order and then should be subject to DSR ? Well you would think so , though of course no one outside of the company would know . How about if they make the speakers in batches of 50 but only have orders for 40 pairs . Will they only make the 40 pairs rather than the usual 50 pairs , or will they produce the usual 50 pairs and have the other 10 pairs " in stock" ready to ship when the orders do come in ?

To me these speakers will only start being made to order when after a significant period of time demand for them drops off and someone on the production line has to stop doing something else in order to produce a pair , or number of pairs , for specific customers . Until then AVI will be churning them out as fast as possible because they know that there is a demand for their product and is only likely to get greater as more people find out about them .

I just don't think they are doing themselves any favours by adopting this un-necessary policy because as I read it hardly anyone is disappointed with their products in any case .

Sorry to keep banging on .

T

the record spot

No worries mate, although I don't know how AVI organise their batches of speakers. Something you could ask the company directly via their website I guess.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
If I read it correctly on their website , AVI are making the ADM 40s in batches , be it 10, 50 , 100 or whatever , which implies to me that they will be making that many whether they have orders for them or not , knowing full well that they will sell them all come what may . So if they make a batch of say 50 but only have orders for 48 will the two remaining pairs then become stock and therefore not made to order and then should be subject to DSR ? Well you would think so , though of course no one outside of the company would know . How about if they make the speakers in batches of 50 but only have orders for 40 pairs . Will they only make the 40 pairs rather than the usual 50 pairs , or will they produce the usual 50 pairs and have the other 10 pairs " in stock" ready to ship when the orders do come in ?

To me these speakers will only start being made to order when after a significant period of time demand for them drops off and someone on the production line has to stop doing something else in order to produce a pair , or number of pairs , for specific customers . Until then AVI will be churning them out as fast as possible because they know that there is a demand for their product and is only likely to get greater as more people find out about them .

I just don't think they are doing themselves any favours by adopting this un-necessary policy because as I read it hardly anyone is disappointed with their products in any case .

Sorry to keep banging on .

I suspect AVI are just being ultra-conservative by releasing the 40s as special order. My hope is that they will drop the special order nonsense as soon as sales for the 40s reach a level they are comfortable with. Otherwise they do risk losing potential buyers, as many persons are not willing to buy blind with no return option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts