What's the most important upgrade in my system

Dom

I believe that speakers are the number 1 factor in a great sounding HiFi system.
I am looking at the Dynaudio Evoke 50's specifically.
I could go for an AudioQuest Niagara 1200 Noise-Dissipation System Mains Conditioner instead of those insane speakers and it be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I believe that speakers are the number 1 factor in a great sounding HiFi system.
I could go for an AudioQuest Niagara 1200 Noise-Dissipation System Mains Conditioner instead of those insane speakers and it be a lot cheaper.
What's the rest of your system? IME the amp is as important as the speakers -- it's the heart of any set-up.

Is your amp good enough to drive the Evokes? The Dyns can be tricky to drive.

TrevC

You are correct, the choice of speakers is the most important. Forget the mains conditioner, they don’t affect sound quality in the slightest.

Dom

What's the rest of your system? IME the amp is as important as the speakers -- it's the heart of any set-up.

Is your amp good enough to drive the Evokes? The Dyns can be tricky to drive.
I have know idea if a Roksan Kandy K2 is good enough for such expensive speakers PP.
It might be easier too replace the the Belkin Surge Plus 8 mains, a mere £35.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks, are you also saying that the amplification is not that important either. I know that can make a difference, surely.
The Dyns have a 87db efficiency so are not the easiest to drive.
On paper your K2 looks as if it will be ok, but I doubt it will get the best out of the Dyns.
If your heart is set on the Dyns - go for it, but maybe get a demo with a higher specced amplifier and try to compare.

D

Deleted member 116933

Yes and no, They need to be thought about carefully for the room and very considered but the advice where people say spend as much as you can is very flawed advice. Yes, its where the biggest changes can be heard but only if the engine can push and the room can handle them, And good enough might not be good enough, as always it depends. And they need to be auditioned

But you seem happy with the amp and its capabilities. But i find even with "budget speakers" more cn be done.

If I were to buy a mains conditioner it would be the audio quest, it does filter out a lot of noise. Though seems silly to buy 1k's worth of mains conditioner costing almost the same as your amp, No?

And i have to say, can you truthfully fit those speakers in your room, not just physically but sound wise? They are going to need a lot of air around them to perform at there best. In most cases, less is more with speakers. but if you can fit them in fine.

What is that you don't like about the system you really haven't given us much to go on?

Dom

Thanks jon. Do you believe expensive mains is all snake oil ?
I really like the Emit M30's and if I don't have to part with them I won't.
In term's of amplification would the less powerful Roksan Caspian M2 make any difference.

If you're happy those speakers are going to work well in your listening area then I might suggest the source is the most important area to upgrade.
You may have excellent speakers but feed them rubbish and it's rubbish you are going to hear......

D

Deleted member 116933

The Dyns have a 87db efficiency so are not the easiest to drive.
On paper your K2 looks as if it will be ok, but I doubt it will get the best out of the Dyns.
If your heart is set on the Dyns - go for it, but maybe get a demo with a higher specced amplifier and try to compare.

Spec can be deceiving i had a pair of revels that were rated 87DB but quite frankly some of the easiest speakers to drive. But then it can be the other way like PMC (2023) where they state a rating like 86 and there more 81-83db, an absolute pig to drive.

But as you say dyns are famously hard to drive even with high wattage amps

Dom

If you're happy those speakers are going to work well in your listening area then I might suggest the source is the most important area to upgrade.
You may have excellent speakers but feed them rubbish and it's rubbish you are going to hear......
I know where your coming from. A dedicated streamer would be better if I spend enough.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hey thanks mill.
Sound wise I am happy with the setup I got, but I'm always looking for an upgrade (upgrade-itis). I want the next step in audio nirvana.

The best advice I can give is to leave well enough alone. I'd concentrate on Damping the room, optimizing setup with small movements of the speakers (most need a lot of help in this area). Better isolation especially if you use a record player Edit all these small improvements will add up

other than that buy the music in the best file formats you can get your hands on.

Reactions: Al ears

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
No I'm really sorry, they must be on a level I haven't heard before.
View attachment 1487
If it was me I would try to get a listen to them. Even in a dealers demo room you should get enough of a feel for them to decide whether its worth further consideration.
And if you are still interested all the other considerations start to come into focus, can you afford them, are they worth the extra money, will they work in your room, will you need a better amplifier, and if you have the budget you might as well listen to other alternatives whilst your at it. It will give you a better appreciation of speakers in the £3k to £4k range. You can always look at the 2nd hand market too. It's all good fun! ;)

D

Deleted member 160668

Only when necessary.
But if it is, nothing can make a bigger difference (no matter how much it costs).
Plus 100 to this.

The truest statement I've ever read on here.

Reactions: Gray

Dom

If it was me I would try to get a listen to them. Even in a dealers demo room you should get enough of a feel for them to decide whether its worth further consideration.
And if you are still interested all the other considerations start to come into focus, can you afford them, are they worth the extra money, will they work in your room, will you need a better amplifier, and if you have the budget you might as well listen to other alternatives whilst your at it. It will give you a better appreciation of speakers in the £3k to £4k range. You can always look at the 2nd hand market too. It's all good fun! ;)
Yes it is and it's great. :)

Last edited:
I have know idea if a Roksan Kandy K2 is good enough for such expensive speakers PP.
It might be easier too replace the the Belkin Surge Plus 8 mains, a mere £35.
Okay. If it was me I would forget a conditioner. No idea what speakers you have but I would definitely demo Totem Arros.

I actually demod the K2 with the Leema Pulse, and obviously preferred the latter.

IMO the Totem Arros are fantastic speakers for anything below £2k. They image like no other unless you spend silly money.

I just feel the flagship Dyns you mentioned will be an overkill.

Been recommending Totems for years on here yet everyone seems to avoid the. Make the effort to demo a pair with your amp and then you can say either I'm a plank or a marvel.

Tonally the Totems will match great with the Roksan. And they won't won't drain your bank account.

Reactions: Al ears

Dom

Thanks PP, yes we are into silly money anything after 1.5K.
This is all research for the time being, but I'll def demo the totems when the time comes.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts