Whats happening with my Sonos

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
All has been working fine until tonight, and then four times throughout this evening it has simply stopped playing. Saying that files cannot be found. Then when I update my library on the controller all is well for a while till it stops again. Only code I get on screen is Upnp1000 or something like that. No body was near or has been near my setup and no wires have been disturbed. Any ideas?????

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I get a couple of radio stations stop working ocassionally, although this tends to be certain stations, so I assume it's an internet/broadcast problem.

Maybe an e-mail or phone call to Sonos support would be the best place to get the problem sorted.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sounds distinctly like wireless interference to me, have a word with your neighbours or get that wi-fi tracking software to find out what channels are in use. Or try Sonos they should be able to work out what's going on.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, fingers crossed it "seems" sorted, changed wireless channels and rebooted everything (router, zonebridge, computer, zoneplayer and controller) been streaming off Napster all day

Thanks for the input guys :)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:

Well, fingers crossed it "seems" sorted, changed wireless channels and rebooted everything (router, zonebridge, computer, zoneplayer and controller) been streaming off Napster all day

Thanks for the input guys :)
I had to change wireless channel the other day because my wireless stopped working. I think more and more people are installing wireless networks, making these problems more common.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hammill:I had to change wireless channel the other day because my wireless stopped working. I think more and more people are installing wireless networks, making these problems more common.

Agreed: one reason I just spent Sunday morning reverting the audio part of my network back to wired Ethernet, with a separate switcher for the NAS drives and the NaimUniti, hung off the wireless router used for internet.

Oh, and am going to install a repeater for the wireless network to get signal strength up in the part of the house worst affected by all the neighbours' networks, some of which are still, amazingly, unprotected...

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Modem hard wired to belkin router hard wired to zonebridge. Out of zonebridge to PC hard wired reading from d:/music which is wher my itunes library is.

Daft link possibly connected or not. The belkin also hard wires up to my sons xbox360 and both times it has happened he has been online gaming?? any connection??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, wouldn't have thought the xbox would have been drawing enough data to affect that, unless he's streaming video. Only way to find out is to get him to stop and see if the problem stops. Xboxes aren't wireless are they?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:....all the neighbours' networks, some of which are still, amazingly, unprotected...

Three nearby networks are all called... "Belkin_G_Plus_Mimo" and they are all un-secured. (All the non Belkin ones are secure.)

Makes me wonder if it is actually possible to rename a... "Belkin_G_Plus_Mimo" to anything other than the default, and if it is actually possible to secure them properly.

I use an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11N with WPA2 security and it has excellent range throughout the house, upstairs and down. I did all the faffing with getting the right channel when I first got the AAE, and have not needed to change since then, thankfully. (Over 3 years ago.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Would be fine if all the neighbours kept their routers on, and thus sticking to the same channel, but they will insist in turning them off, then on again when they want to surf, at which point drop-outs on neighbouring networks are a distinct possibility.

If you're reading this, 'martin's network', you know who you are, but a recent router upgrade, that cabled strategy and the range extender seem to be doing the trick for now in the local 802.11 arms race...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Andrew Everard:....all the neighbours' networks, some of which are still, amazingly, unprotected...

Three nearby networks are all called... "Belkin_G_Plus_Mimo" and they are all un-secured. (All the non Belkin ones are secure.)

Makes me wonder if it is actually possible to rename a... "Belkin_G_Plus_Mimo" to anything other than the default, and if it is actually possible to secure them properly.

Of course, the most basic of security settings (but not really) is to tell the wireless access point not to broadcast the SSID.....so people are unaware of the connection unless they are actively seeking them out.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
hammill:I had to change wireless channel the other day because my wireless stopped working. I think more and more people are installing wireless networks, making these problems more common.

Agreed: one reason I just spent Sunday morning reverting the audio part of my network back to wired Ethernet, with a separate switcher for the NAS drives and the NaimUniti, hung off the wireless router used for internet.

Oh, and am going to install a repeater for the wireless network to get signal strength up in the part of the house worst affected by all the neighbours' networks, some of which are still, amazingly, unprotected...

I have a Gb wired "backbone" connecting my PC and other media devices together via two Gb switches and a length of Cat6 ethernet. I have a modem router providing access to the web which is limited to 100mb. It also has 54Mb wireless capability. I use this wireless capability to connect my Samsung NC10 to the LAN. Trouble is the wireless router is upstairs and the network connection signal strength downstairs (where we use the NC10) is pretty dire.

When I changed ISP I was given a new modem/router. This can be used as a wireless access point. Tonight I set up this extra router downstairs at the other end of my Gb backbone. It was a little tricky (but not really) but now have a really good signal.

I have commented in the past that, unless you really have to, a wired network is the way to go. I still stand by that comment for reasons of speed, reliability and security.

Sorry for hijacking your thread....but I'm almost on topic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts